Drone exam
5559 10 2019-4-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
coco60
lvl.4
Flight distance : 632096 ft
Canada

Has anyone from Canada did the transport Canada exam to acquire flying permit before june 1 2019 !?? I've failed it two times so far and let me tell you it's pretty hard to get a 65% passing mark !! several questions deal with aviation which has nothing to do with flying a two pounds quadcopter ! Spent $20 so far and each time you fail it is $10 a shot. There is no way arround since every exams are DIFFERENT !!!!!! Government are crooks..
2019-4-2
Use props
Hurley1718
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yikes. That is a bummer. So do you need that permit to fly as a hobby or just professionally?
2019-4-6
Use props
pgaudet
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4911 ft
Canada

Hey there, I just did the exam. Luckily I passed, but yeah, I thought it'd be a cake-walk, but quickly got out all a bunch of new windows.  Took me about 70mins to complete.  The link that helped me the most was https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-96-433/page-164.html#h-1512 .  Have it open during the exam along with google.  The questions were ridiculous in my opinion...like reading a sectional chart and determining what class airspace it was.  The questions were really hard.  I take exams fairly well (I have a graduate-level degree)...I couldn't imagine a 14 year old taking that exam, Yikes!
All the best.  Hope you pass it.  Keep at it.  You have until June!
2019-4-22
Use props
pgaudet
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4911 ft
Canada

Hurley1718 Posted at 4-6 15:24
Yikes. That is a bummer. So do you need that permit to fly as a hobby or just professionally?

There are two certifications, the basic flying one is to fly as a hobby-The one the OP is mentioning (no flying in restricted airspace and over crowds, etc), there is an advanced certificate for those people performing that.  Passing an exam is needed to get either (65% is passing grade for basic exam, 80% is passing for advanced exam).  The new regulations go into effect June 1st I believe.  At that point you need to have a drone pilot certificate and have your drone registered (with the registration number put on the drone itself).
2019-4-22
Use props
fkindome
lvl.2
Flight distance : 130682 ft
Canada

Yeah....I also took the exam a few days ago and I passed the basic operations test. It is true that some questions are not related to someone wanting to just fly a quad....and yes the recommended document (https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/ ... age-164.html#h-1512) did help a lot when I took the test. Best wishes.
2019-4-29
Use props
coco60
lvl.4
Canada

fkindome Posted at 4-29 15:05
Yeah....I also took the exam a few days ago and I passed the basic operations test. It is true that some questions are not related to someone wanting to just fly a quad....and yes the recommended document (https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-96-433/page-164.html#h-1512) did help a lot when I took the test. Best wishes.

Thanks for the link fkindome, i will have a look for my third exam trial  
2019-5-7
Use props
coco60
lvl.4
Canada

pgaudet Posted at 4-22 11:21
Hey there, I just did the exam. Luckily I passed, but yeah, I thought it'd be a cake-walk, but quickly got out all a bunch of new windows.  Took me about 70mins to complete.  The link that helped me the most was https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-96-433/page-164.html#h-1512 .  Have it open during the exam along with google.  The questions were ridiculous in my opinion...like reading a sectional chart and determining what class airspace it was.  The questions were really hard.  I take exams fairly well (I have a graduate-level degree)...I couldn't imagine a 14 year old taking that exam, Yikes!
All the best.  Hope you pass it.  Keep at it.  You have until June!

Thanks pgaudet i'll take a look at that link to.  
2019-5-7
Use props
coco60
lvl.4
Canada

Hurley1718 Posted at 4-6 15:24

I need the permit to fly just as a hobby !!!
2019-5-7
Use props
hamstergraphics
lvl.3
Flight distance : 992736 ft

The Basic one?  The basic isn't that bad.  I just passed the advanced today, but spent almost $500 on online courses..  failed 3 times prior.  Plan to fly for business so worth it in the end
2019-10-2
Use props
BA Drone Dude
lvl.2

Feeling bad for Canadian drone enthusiasts. I'm chilling out here in Oklahoma and so far I haven't had to do anything of the sort.
2019-10-4
Use props
Beckie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1307795 ft
  • >>>
Canada

It’s easy to pass I think. Just have to study before hand. I pass with 97%
2019-11-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now