Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
#Dronestrategy What should you know if you want to fly in France
18097 13 2019-4-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ParideM
Captain
Flight distance : 6103757 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

The rules are constantly changing so get informed directly on the official sites.
Apparently now in France you need a transponder for drones weighing more than 800gr
Link: https://www.ecologique-solidaire.gouv.fr/modeles-reduits-et-drones-loisir

Time:
April/June 2018 Saut du Doubs Switzerland/France borderline and Yvoire, personally only not commercial flight.
I flew in France and on Switzerland/France borderline with my Mavic Air. I've obteined also a license (training certificate) and registred both my drones (Mavic Air and 2 pro).

DJI Drone: Mavic Air

How I plan my hikings:
I'm italian and I live in Geneva (Switzerland) really close to France border, so I repeat what I already write in my other post for hiking in Switzerland:
After I chose a destination, I check the France Map to verify that the flight is allowed. I control the weather conditions, I pay attention to the high altitude wind speed, and if it rains or is windy or snowing.
I take a look at Google Maps to get an idea of the landscape and I love the Street View function for 360° experience, Google Earth or other apps for the position of the sun during my programmed fly also, it's really important.
I check the train schedule, I don't own a car, the travel time and how much does it cost, I look for an hotel room if I need more than one day. If I'm satisfied, I decide to leave.
I prepare my backpack, and I charge the batteries the day before to leave. The backpack weighs? I choose the drone and the number of batteries based on the lenght and difficulty of the hike, or based on high altitude wind speed, or possibility to find interferences due to masts. (Mavic 2 pro VS Mavic Air).
I control I picked everything, filters, SD cards, chargers and all the accessories I need like sunglasses, cables, food, water, clothes ecc.
It's all? Let's go!

Application Process:
- No application needed if you want to fly in unrestricted areas with a drone by the weight less than 800g.

- For piloting drones with a weight of more than 800 grams you should obtain a training certificate for unmanned aircraft used for recreational purposes (you can get it online), register your drone (always online) and apply a plate with your full name and the identification number. You must also have always your training certificate and drone registration certificate with you (paper printed).

What you should prepare before traveling with a drone in France:
- For piloting drones with a weight of more than 800 grams you should obtain a training certificate (go to Application Process).

- It is better to drain batteries and place them in fireproof cases if you take the plane, some airline companies may request it. Don't put batteries in your checked-in luggage but carry them with you.

- The ‘geofencing’ functionality in DJI drones is a geographical restriction of the operational area of the drone that is specified by the manufacturer. The manufacturer’s restrictions might not be identical to the restrictions on use under the applicable national legislation. This means that you must always be aware of local flight restrictions before operating / piloting a DJI drone. Take a look to official Official France Map to verify that you can fly in determinated areas.

Regulations:
- Don't fly over people and keep a minimum safe distance.

- The maximum flying altitude AGL is set by default to 150 meters (492 feet). It is less than that in the vicinity of airfields and in some military aviation training areas during their active times.

- Keep direct eye contact and do not use it at night. Immersion Flights (FPV) and the use of following drones are possible under certain conditions, requiring the presence of a second person to ensure safety.

- To become aware of a possible temporary ban

- Don't fly your drone over public spaces in urban areas, it’s possible to fly over a private space with a small drone and without public presence as long as its maximal speed and height are adapted to the surrounding environment (buildings, trees...) so as to limit the risks in case of loss of control. Never use your drone over public spaces.

- Don't use your drone near any aerodrome hosting airplanes, helicopters, gliders, ultralight aircraft, etc. Minimum distances must be respected and can reach 10 km for important airfields.

- Never fly over sensitive areas or protected sites. Some sensitive or protected sites and their surroundings are banned from flying. Examples of such sites are: nuclear power plants, military zones, historical monuments, natural reserves and national parks. You always inquire about the possible presence of such restricted sites before flying your drone.

- Repect other people's privacy. The people around you or around your drone must be informed of what you do, especially if your drone is equipped with a camera or any other data recording sensor. Inform the people, answer their questions, and respect their right to privacy. Refrain from recording pictures or videos allowing recognition or identification of persons (faces, license plates...) without their permission.

- Don't broadcast your aerial pictures or videos without the consent of the concerned persons and you don't make any commercial use out of it. Any image distribution is subject to authorization from the concerned persons or owner when flying over a private space (home, garden, etc.), and must comply with the regulation (including the Act of 6 January 1978 called « Informatique et Libertés »). Any use of a drone which objective is filming for commercial or professional reasons is subject to specific requirements and requires an authorization issued by French DGAC (direction générale de l’Aviation civile).

- Check the terms of your insurance policy concerning this activity. You can be liable for damage caused to other aircraft, persons or properties. If you did not contract any specific insurance, check the terms of your civil liability insurance policy.

Professional Use:
- For professional use you must obtain a license for unmanned aircraft

Recommendations:
Inspect your drone before and after each flight, check the entire frame for cracks including the landing gear and props. Make sure you have sufficient GPS signal and wait for the "Home Point Recorded" message to avoid a fly away, and an adequate RTH altitude setted for a safe return to home.

Always check the weather conditions to find out about wind conditions or if you'll find rain, fog or snow. Cold and high wind drain fast your batteries, and high-altitude winds could generate a "Max motor speed reached" alert which inform you that your drone is in danger.

Apply a
fireproof label on the drone with your full name, address, phone number and France drone registration number, for drones by the weight less than 800g it is not required but I recommend it even if you want to fly in other countries, I also applied it on my GoPro, in case of loss.

The “see and avoid” principle applies to unmanned aircraft as well. Since an aircraft pilot stands little chance of recognizing a small drone early enough, it is your responsibility to take timely evasive action and always to maintain a proper distance from other aircrafts.
Especially on the mountains, always fly in your line of sight, don't think to be alone all the time, helicopters and other planes you couldn't hear can come close to your drone; they often fly at low altitude leaving you a little reaction time.
Flying a drone over the scene of an accident to take aerial pictures may impede a rescue helicopter from approaching the site. In addition, rescue services feel that their work is disturbed by drones. It is forbidden to fly a drone in an emergency operation.

Useful tips:
Bring filters with you, especially on the mountains or if you visit lakes or you find snow, I recommend you polarized filters for reflecting surfaces (i use 32/pl also).

Bring at least two batteries with you and make sure you have an empty and capacious
SD card.

Find a way to make a daily backup of your footages; personally I use a backup unit with a
SSD.

Bring a landing pad or landing gear and an outdoor first aid kit with you if you want to go hiking on the mountains and don't forget photography glovesin winter time and your sunglasses!

Official links:
- Official France Map restrictions for drone
- Fox AlphaTango get your license for drone by the weight more than 800g
- Regulations and general questions relating to drones
- Professional use

Apps and useful links:
- AirMap
- UAV Forecast (weather and hight altitude wind speed also)

- Sun Locator Lite

Customs:
- There are no special requirements for getting a drone to France.

Happy flight and fly safe ;-)
France from Nyon - Switzerland(Mavic Air)
https://youtu.be/K698MOCgM7g
Switzerland-France borderline (Mavic Air)
https://youtu.be/VvedZI8vWps

2019-4-2
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Very nice information and wonderful video! Nicely done, great job
2019-4-8
Use props
ParideM
Captain
  • >>>
Switzerland

jacksonnai Posted at 4-8 03:30
Very nice information and wonderful video! Nicely done, great job

Thank you!
2019-4-8
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

You're welcome ParideM
2019-4-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice entry!
2019-4-15
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Another excellent thread - good work!
2019-4-17
Use props
ParideM
Captain
  • >>>
Switzerland

Many thanks!
2019-4-18
Use props
ParideM
Captain
  • >>>
Switzerland

A J Posted at 4-17 23:52
Another excellent thread - good work!

Thank you, glad you like it!
2019-4-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

You're welcome!
2019-4-18
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ParideM Posted at 4-18 05:15
Thank you, glad you like it!

You're welcome
2019-4-18
Use props
jameswdj96
New

United States

Thanks for sharing!
2019-7-31
Use props
G37 Mavic Pro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49741 ft
United States

Good information, thanks sharing, nice images.
2019-8-1
Use props
Zubayer.Khan
Captain
Flight distance : 770272 ft
Bangladesh

Thanks for the share.
2020-4-19
Use props
fans5fdc07b6
lvl.1
France

Blue Zones needs authorisation and ulocking, if you do not unlock your drone will not enter this zone and will be hovering
2021-7-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules