Breaking News - NYPD cop hit by drone, another hit by car.
1446 23 2019-4-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SD_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Another knucklehead ruins it for the rest of the responsible drone pilots. Arrrggghhhh !  

NYPD cop hit by drone, another hit by car

A drone hit an NYPD detective in the head, while another cop had his leg run over by a procession car as they worked crowd control at the sprawling funeral of a prominent rabbi Tuesday in Brooklyn.

A Community Affairs cop suffered a leg injury when he was hit by a car in the funeral procession around 1:15 p.m. near 58th Street and 14th Avenue in Borough Park, cops and sources said.

That officer was taken to Lutheran Medical Center for an evaluation of a possible broken ankle, authorities said.

A department detective was hurt when a drone hovering over the massive ceremony — estimated to have drawn thousands of mourners — hit her in the head, authorities and sources said.

The cops were covering the massive send-off to prominent Rabbi Yisroel Avrohom Portugal, who died Monday at age 95.

Chief of Patrol Rodney Harrison said that it appeared the drone fell from the sky after running out of juice and clocked the detective in the head, though her injuries were also deemed minor.

The drone’s pilot, 36-year-old Yehiel Rosenfeld, was arrested and charged with reckless endangerment, sources said.

2019-4-3
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

And what happened to the car driver? Did the cop put his foot under the wheel or did the driver run out of steering or break juice? My point being, the drone is the bad headline.
2019-4-3
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

At least they caught him and 'reckless' endangerment is a very serious criminal offence and may prosecuted as a felony in NY. A fine of up to US$15,000 and 7 years imprisonment will be options for the judge to consider in his/her sentence not to mention a civil suit by the police officer injured in the act. I hope the video he took was worth it as it has cost him dearly! A lesson to all of us who fly these things.  
2019-4-3
Use props
Rfern
lvl.4
Flight distance : 482805 ft
United States

They will ban drones now. Here in NY, that is their draconian attitude towards things. Punish all the law abiding people who own them and ban them all.
2019-4-3
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rfern Posted at 4-3 04:08
They will ban drones now. Here in NY, that is their draconian attitude towards things. Punish all the law abiding people who own them and ban them all.

I thought all drone flights were already banned in New York City, barring some parks designated as flying areas .

https://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/service/5521/drones

2019-4-3
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Clearly this individual flying the drone was beyond nuts. He broke not only FAA rules (do not fly over people/crowds) but for that matter, all common sense !!!  To fly over people and to do it with little to no battery life....WHAT !!!!....obviously this guy was asleep at the sticks.
2019-4-3
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 4-3 05:00
I thought all drone flights were already banned in New York City, barring some parks designated as flying areas .

https://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/service/5521/drones

I've flown in NYC but only in certain remote areas. If near an airport, I've called ATC and provided 'a heads up'.

Other areas are NFZ so the drone wouldn't even take off.
2019-4-3
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for sharing this news with us. Please fly our drones in open areas wherein there are no interferences to prevent the incident and be responsible when flying our drones. Thank you for continued support.
2019-4-3
Use props
3BEPb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 165928 ft
  • >>>
United States

There are no law banning drones in NYC as of now. However city advises to call 911 when drone is spotted. NYPD even got heli unit hunting drones. Good luck with that coppers.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/dronedj.com/2017/11/19/nypd-is-hunting-rogue-drones-in-new-york-city/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.gothamist.com/amp/articles/create%3farticle_id=5c6c4966c649b40001442770

2019-4-3
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

3BEPb Posted at 4-3 10:35
There are no law banning drones in NYC as of now. However city advises to call 911 when drone is spotted. NYPD even got heli unit hunting drones. Good luck with that coppers.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/dronedj.com/2017/11/19/nypd-is-hunting-rogue-drones-in-new-york-city/amp/

"There are no law banning drones in NYC as of now"

In both those articles they says it is illegal to fly in NYC apart from the designated areas. Does that not mean that it is against the law to fly ?
2019-4-3
Use props
3BEPb
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

There are no law that was passed through legislation. Not on state level. And not on city level. It’s one of those fascist thing NYC does when they make something illegal without any legal base. They call it city restriction.

If you can find ANY law that stating drones are illegal please feel free to correct me.

https://uavcoach.com/drone-laws-new-york/
“This city restriction declares that drones are illegal to fly in New York City, and advises  anyone who sees a drone being flown to call 911. This restriction does not seem to be an actual law passed by the city, but a policy that the city has adopted”
2019-4-3
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

3BEPb Posted at 4-3 13:46
There are no law that was passed through legislation. Not on state level. And not on city level. It’s one of those fascist thing NYC does when they make something illegal without any legal base. They call it city restriction.

If you can find ANY law that stating drones are illegal please feel free to correct me.

Yes that's correct !

"Local Drone Laws in New York. ... This city restriction declares that drones are illegal to fly in New York City, and advises anyone who sees a drone being flown to call 911. This restriction does not seem to be an actual law passed by the city, but a policy that the city has adopted."

Policy it is.

When I called ATC and provided them my location, never once they said it's illegal but said be careful.  Provided them my location, AGL, cell #, he asked for reggie craft # and how long I'd planned to be there.

I'll never fly in crowded areas of the city because it's way too risky, too crowded, dangerous should anything happen but only would rather fly in remote locations.
2019-4-3
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10355532 ft
Canada

A J Posted at 4-3 04:01
At least they caught him and 'reckless' endangerment is a very serious criminal offence and may prosecuted as a felony in NY. A fine of up to US$15,000 and 7 years imprisonment will be options for the judge to consider in his/her sentence not to mention a civil suit by the police officer injured in the act. I hope the video he took was worth it as it has cost him dearly! A lesson to all of us who fly these things.

Sad to say there are some who fly drones with an IQ of a radish, I am hoping that he gets the max in a court of law, it's morons like him that gives us all a bad reputation.
2019-4-4
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Picanoc Jack Posted at 4-4 00:11
Sad to say there are some who fly drones with an IQ of a radish, I am hoping that he gets the max in a court of law, it's morons like him that gives us all a bad reputation.

I have a feeling that an example may be made of this fella and he'll be the turkey behind bars this Christmas
2019-4-4
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10355532 ft
Canada

A J Posted at 4-4 00:16
I have a feeling that an example may be made of this fella and he'll be the turkey behind bars this Christmas

good for him, throw the book at him, maybe some of the idiots will read it somewhere and think twice about pulling stunts like that.
2019-4-4
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Picanoc Jack Posted at 4-4 01:51
good for him, throw the book at him, maybe some of the idiots will read it somewhere and think twice about pulling stunts like that.

I don't think anyone that stupid bothers to read anything but we live in hope
2019-4-4
Use props
3BEPb
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Member of Hasidic community will not go to jail over that. If you live in nyc you should know better.
2019-4-4
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

3BEPb Posted at 4-4 06:28
Member of Hasidic community will not go to jail over that. If you live in nyc you should know better.

Yes. Read that he was arrested for reckless endangerment and assault in Rockland County, NY. He's from the town of Monsey, NY.

He reported to the police that he only had the drone for about a week. Grave mistake to fly with little juice in the battery especially over a crowd.

Pure speculation because I'm not sure how it dropped from the sky but claims were that battery ran out of juice? If that's the case did he not hear the loud beeps? probably mobile device volume turned off (?). And/or wasn't even paying attention to the screen.

2019-4-4
Use props
Rfern
lvl.4
Flight distance : 482805 ft
United States

Like I said , they will make an example out of him and ban them for everyone based on one incident. They ban everything in NY, that’s their answer, guns, sugary drinks, meat on Mondays for school lunches,etc... If they don’t ban something then they tax the hell out of it to make it ridiculously lucrative for the state and expensive for you. That’s why NY is borderline draconian/communist. Idiot couldn’t of picked a worse place to pull that stunt off!!!
2019-4-4
Use props
3BEPb
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

That is why I give exactly two f**ks about nyc drone restrictions. Can’t wait to move out to Florida
2019-4-4
Use props
Sim-Y
lvl.4
Flight distance : 75502 ft
United Kingdom

Wow, thousands of people there and the drone managed to hit an officer, how unlucky was that.
Still shouldn't be flying over crowds though.
2019-4-4
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

3BEPb Posted at 4-4 19:29
That is why I give exactly two f**ks about nyc drone restrictions. Can’t wait to move out to Florida

I agree, I'd like to move West or South but the problem with FL, too many airports.
2019-4-5
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Sim-Y Posted at 4-4 22:14
Wow, thousands of people there and the drone managed to hit an officer, how unlucky was that.
Still shouldn't be flying over crowds though.

Exactly. Completely unlucky. He should've had it on top of a roof, alleyway, yard anywhere else but a crowd and he would've avoided an arrest and injury to a cop.

2019-4-5
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

Humm when you look at the crowd - the chances seem extraordinary.  New York Post
2019-4-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules