Received a Ticket in a NYS Park
6707 19 2019-4-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansc2125b0f
lvl.1
United States

I live in NY and recently got a ticket for flying in Nissequogue State Park (Long Island) without a permit this past weekend. I was unaware you needed a permit for state parks, and I doubt most other people are aware of this either. Before pleading guilty / not guilty, what kind of punishment can I expect from New York State? I've been looking at various posts and such and apparently it can be as strict as a $5,000 fine and/or 6 months in jail. This is insane for taking off in a wide open park, but I'm stressing out big time over this. If anyone's been in this situation what was your outcome?
2019-4-3
Use props
3BEPb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 165928 ft
  • >>>
United States

https://www.dronelaw.pro/

https://www.wgrz.com/article/new ... rights/71-550656295

talk to lawyer. dont talk  about your case online.
2019-4-3
Use props
fansc2125b0f
lvl.1
United States

3BEPb Posted at 4-3 07:16
https://www.dronelaw.pro/

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/local/drone-law-what-are-your-rights/71-550656295

I'm not looking for legal advice, only curious if anyone's been in a similar position
2019-4-3
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're sorry to know about what happened on your recent flight. We're hoping that you could get the best feedback you may need in regards to this situation. We highly recommend abiding by our local policy when in terms of flying our drones to have a peaceful flight. Thank you for your support.
2019-4-3
Use props
ZarcTheSpark
First Officer
Flight distance : 460676 ft
United States

I got off with a warning flying in a County Park in California.  The Ranger guy was very cool about it.  I did not know it was illegal, and there was no one there but me (and the Ranger).
I would think just plead ignorance and see what happens.

Let us know though.
2019-4-3
Use props
wimherman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 208556 ft
Norway

I hope you get away with it ! And let it be a warning for all of us not take knowledge of local rules for granted.. you might be surprised even in your own country!
2019-4-3
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

I was thinking about a road trip from New Jersey to Niagara Falls...wanted to fly Sparky there at the state park.  All I had to do was search NY state park drone rules and I immediately found out no drones in NY state parks without a permit (which you're not going to get).  It's not too difficult to find drone rules for about anywhere you want to fly...or a phone number to call and ask.  Sadly, you're not going to be able to fly anywhere where there are crowds, a national or historical connection, or where your drone might do damage to something sensitive in nature.  Too many fools have ruined it for the rest of us.
2019-4-3
Use props
Wolferl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23793 ft
Austria

Rustic17 Posted at 4-3 15:54
Too many fools have ruined it for the rest of us.

soooo true, sadly.

Cheers,
Wolferl
2019-4-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I suppose the fine at 5k and threat of 6 months is to deter, I’m sure if you put your case forward they may look on it sympathetically.

Question : were there proper signs/warnings to be seen ? Did these signs give details of the law and the penalties?
2019-4-4
Use props
Lysak2003
First Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

hallmark007 Posted at 4-4 09:59
I suppose the fine at 5k and threat of 6 months is to deter, I’m sure if you put your case forward they may look on it sympathetically.

Question : were there proper signs/warnings to be seen ? Did these signs give details of the law and the penalties?

There is a good proverb in Russian: ignorance of low doesn't excuse you from responsibility.
2019-4-4
Use props
fansc2125b0f
lvl.1
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 4-4 09:59
I suppose the fine at 5k and threat of 6 months is to deter, I’m sure if you put your case forward they may look on it sympathetically.

From where I was, there were no signs to be seen regarding drone use. However after digging around in state regulations online there does appear to be a section saying a permit is needed to take off / land in state parks, but nothing about the penalties. Is the average person really expected to do this much research before deciding to fly their drone?
2019-4-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fansc2125b0f Posted at 4-4 11:59
From where I was, there were no signs to be seen regarding drone use. However after digging around in state regulations online there does appear to be a section saying a permit is needed to take off / land in state parks, but nothing about the penalties. Is the average person really expected to do this much research before deciding to fly their drone?

I still think that clear signs should be a minimum requirement,  so drone users are clearly made aware of this rule and while ignorance is no defense , lack of proper information is surely neglect on council for the parks .
2019-4-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Lysak2003 Posted at 4-4 11:58
There is a good proverb in Russian: ignorance of low doesn't excuse you from responsibility.

It’s true ignorance is no defense, but when we see power plants other prohibited places when entering a park that you need to keep a dog on a leash, you will always see plenty of signs to beware No entry or keep your Dog on a leash.
I think with the growth of drones and the sheer lack of information available to users, that if drones are not allowed, this should be. NFZ or clearly marked to warn others .
2019-4-4
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 4-4 12:05
I still think that clear signs should be a minimum requirement,  so drone users are clearly made aware of this rule and while ignorance is no defense , lack of proper information is surely neglect on council for the parks .

I hear what you're saying but here in the US the sign they'd have to put up to cover all things prohibited might end up being 10 meters by 10 meters!!!  And you'd need one every 20 meters around the park because most people over here are oblivious to signs...or feel they're entitled to ignore them.   Most drone pilots should probably know the drone laws for their national parks, state parks, city parks and any other national/state/municipal area they intend to fly in.  Any area/region that has a name and/or website probable has listed rules or a phone number where someone in the know can be reached.  It's sad that responsible drone pilots have been restricted by such a small minority of us.
2019-4-4
Use props
Lysak2003
First Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

Rustic17 Posted at 4-4 12:21
I hear what you're saying but here in the US the sign they'd have to put up to cover all things prohibited might end up being 10 meters by 10 meters!!!  And you'd need one every 20 meters around the park because most people over here are oblivious to signs...or feel they're entitled to ignore them.   Most drone pilots should probably know the drone laws for their national parks, state parks, city parks and any other national/state/municipal area they intend to fly in.  Any area/region that has a name and/or website probable has listed rules or a phone number where someone in the know can be reached.  It's sad that responsible drone pilots have been restricted by such a small minority of us.

Absolutely agree! As we say: conscience is the best supervisor.
2019-4-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Rustic17 Posted at 4-4 12:21
I hear what you're saying but here in the US the sign they'd have to put up to cover all things prohibited might end up being 10 meters by 10 meters!!!  And you'd need one every 20 meters around the park because most people over here are oblivious to signs...or feel they're entitled to ignore them.   Most drone pilots should probably know the drone laws for their national parks, state parks, city parks and any other national/state/municipal area they intend to fly in.  Any area/region that has a name and/or website probable has listed rules or a phone number where someone in the know can be reached.  It's sad that responsible drone pilots have been restricted by such a small minority of us.

Yes I can see your point, but almost every park I go to anywhere in the world there is a sign telling me I must keep the dog on a leash, and I have now got the message, should they take down this sign and put up the drone sign , until drone users get the message.

I agree that it’s my responsibility to know the rules of flying drones, but I can also see others and I read about them everyday here, are not always so clued in. In order to help others understand then education is a must and the more education we give the more all drone users will be educated.

We should also remember that we all have learned a lot around here , many users know nothing except what they read on the outside of the box.

If it were up to me, I would put a limiter on new drones to new users, and this limiter would be partially lifted when user completes an online safety course, it would be fully lifted when user completes written and practical test, and while this won’t stop idiots doing what they do, it will educate all on what they should be doing, just my opinion .
2019-4-4
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 4-4 13:26
Yes I can see your point, but almost every park I go to anywhere in the world there is a sign telling me I must keep the dog on a leash, and I have now got the message, should they take down this sign and put up the drone sign , until drone users get the message.

I agree that it’s my responsibility to know the rules of flying drones, but I can also see others and I read about them everyday here, are not always so clued in. In order to help others understand then education is a must and the more education we give the more all drone users will be educated.

Great idea...I've always appreciated your sage advice.
2019-4-4
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

Thanks crazy. Sorry to hear about that. Got to obey rules.
2019-4-4
Use props
NRRTRAINS 85
lvl.4

United States

when you go to court just tell the truth " you didn't know it was illegal to fly in that park "  also was there any  " no drones sign posted  " there should have been one as you enter the park . at least it was not on federal land or a national park , the fine is outrageous .
best of luck
2019-4-4
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Pleading guilty automatically gives you the Maximum penalty.  With how the US justice system works, the punishment is based upon the recommendation of the prosecutor and the judge of Your case.  You can just say you didn't realize you needed a permit and accept a plea deal.  It could take a few times to show up but that's the best way.  You don't need a lawyer.  If you didn't know just tell them every time you did not know.  Prob just get it lowered down to court cost and a parking ticket.

The fact you got a ticket w/ the Spark (would make sense with an Inspire 2) is interesting.  Can you find out how to get a permit for NY and is the permit per a certain section of NYC or throughout NYC?  How long does it take?  How much does it cost? Does it expire?  etc.
2019-4-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules