What Good is DJI Refresh?
2080 27 2019-4-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Elv8Perspective
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29695 ft
United States

Back story:  I bought a P4P + V2 a few weeks ago ( I own a Mavic Air as well), and I was excited at the capabilities of the P4P.  Camera is great, but there is a gimbal drift.  The drone also seemed to drift as well.  I recalibrated it and the compass, it seemed to be doing better.

Yesterday I went to take pictures of one of the water towers here in NJ, I've taken photos of towers previously with the my P4P with no issues.

Well, I took off, and 1min 29seconds into flight (400 feet away), I lost signal, and it never came back.  It was 530AM, in a decently lit area.

Precautions I took:
Kept drone in line of sight.
Elevated to 20ft above the tower, just incase I needed to hit RTH, it would clear the tower.

Anyway, signal dropped, and I tried walking closer to it to see if it would come back.  It didnt.

I searched the area immediately and came across the battery, laying on the ground, smashed.  I kept searching until 10 AM, then came back again at 2pm to look again.

I never found the drone, just the battery.

Due to not being able to recover the Drone, and after a "Data Analysis" that concluded they dont know what caused the issue, DJI has refused to replace my drone under the Refresh.

I am not scamming them, I am not interested in acquring another drone, and restarting the one I had... because that one is gone... it could have landed on the train tracks near by and a train hit it... took it with it, but either way, the drone is gone.. unrecoverable, and to no fault of mine.  DJI doesnt know why it happened, but it is a very convienent excuse to refuse to replace someones drone... especially someone that paid over $4000 for drones, 2 Mavic Airs and a Phantom 4 Pro + V2, with extra batteries for both, filters, quick chargers etc, and I own a DSLR Gimbal as well from DJI.

I wrote the Director of Communications for North America, because his email was the only one I could find.  I then used the same format to send emails (possibly) to the President of DJI North America and the Public Policy Manager.

The Communications Director was very responsive and seemed like he wanted to help.  I got the data analysis back fairly quick, and they refused to replace it... only offering me a 30% discount on a P4P (not even the + or V2, which I owned).

As much as I love DJI products, if this isn't rectified, it'll be pretty concerning.  As a disabled veteran owned business, this is my livelyhood, and a bad connection caused this issue.  I have flown this drone for over a mile in downtown Philly with no issues, but 400 ft away, it goes down?  Something isnt right.

Lets do the right thing here DJI.
2019-4-3
Use props
Grumpy D
First Officer
Flight distance : 18245 ft
United States

No corpse no replacement. That information was available for you to read before you purchased. I know it sucks, but they did tell you.
Sorry for your loss.
Not sure why you are posting here, the guys over at Phantom Pilots already invested many hours trying to help you. Maybe you’re just venting.
2019-4-3
Use props
Elv8Perspective
lvl.2
United States

Actually, replacements can be given without the corpse.  If its determined a fault of theirs.  They cant determine the problem.... I've also taken many steps since posting on the other forum.   

Since they have the ability to shut down drones via serial number.. if it were ever powered back up, I dont ever why this is such an issue for a several hundred million dollar company to replace a drone, with vague refresh options.  
2019-4-3
Use props
Elv8Perspective
lvl.2
United States

Furthermore they only offered me a 30% discount based on the flight data without even knowing whether I had the  Corpse of the drone or not. Therefore they still didn't honor their agreement, it's ridiculous.
2019-4-3
Use props
Elv8Perspective
lvl.2
United States

Lastly, yes, venting.

We've already acknowledged they dont know what happened, why signal was lost.

We acknowledged I was at minimum 20 ft above the tower and antenna on top.

We acknowledged RTH would have cleared the tower.

It's not just the altitude on the app... I could literally see I was over everything on the screen before it went black.  

So if it lost connection and hit the tower... it's no where to be found in an open area..... odd....
2019-4-3
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Elv8Perspective Posted at 4-3 11:30
Actually, replacements can be given without the corpse.  If its determined a fault of theirs.  They cant determine the problem.... I've also taken many steps since posting on the other forum.   

Since they have the ability to shut down drones via serial number.. if it were ever powered back up, I dont ever why this is such an issue for a several hundred million dollar company to replace a drone, with vague refresh options.

'Since they have the ability to shut down drones via serial number..'

Sorry, no they don't, that is an urban myth.
2019-4-3
Use props
EdM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

Would not think the battery and the P4P would be separated by too much territory.  Where ever the battery came out, it's all coming down.
2019-4-3
Use props
Elv8Perspective
lvl.2
United States

EdM Posted at 4-3 13:16
Would not think the battery and the P4P would be separated by too much territory.  Where ever the battery came out, it's all coming down.

Ive done hundreds of in depth searches in the army on foot, gathering evidence after explosions.

I searched for 5 hours, couldnt find the drone.  It may he on top of the tower, and miraculously stayed up there.
2019-4-3
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi Elv8Perspective, sorry for your loss and the issues concerning replacing the aircraft. I was able to pull up the case number using your Forum account. I will formally forward this with the designated team to check and see if there's anything we might help you with and setting proper expectations that there's no guarantee we will replace the aircraft. In relation to this, allow me to remind you that DJI Care Refresh doesn't cover lost aircraft. Kindly refer to this link for a better understanding of the service agreement policy. Thank you for understanding. Should you have other concerns, please do not hesitate to reach us. We're here to help. Thank you.

2019-4-3
Use props
Elv8Perspective
lvl.2
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 4-3 14:39
Hi Elv8Perspective, sorry for your loss and the issues concerning replacing the aircraft. I was able to pull up the case number using your Forum account. I will formally forward this with the designated team to check and see if there's anything we might help you with and setting proper expectations that there's no guarantee we will replace the aircraft. In relation to this, allow me to remind you that DJI Care Refresh doesn't cover lost aircraft. Kindly refer to this link for a better understanding of the service agreement policy. Thank you for understanding. Should you have other concerns, please do not hesitate to reach us. We're here to help. Thank you.

[view_image]

Thank you, i appreciate a response.

I am just trying to make a loving, as a disabled veteran owned business, i dont have the finances to purchase another, my forst Mavic air was stolen, then the thief crashed it.  I paid for a new one.  I also bought the p4p a few weeks ago, with what savings i had left.
2019-4-3
Use props
Elv8Perspective
lvl.2
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 4-3 14:39

[view_image]

Thank you, i appreciate a response.

I am just trying to make a loving, as a disabled veteran owned business, i dont have the finances to purchase another, my forst Mavic air was stolen, then the thief crashed it.  I paid for a new one.  I also bought the p4p a few weeks ago, with what savings i had left.
2019-4-3
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You could upload your flight log here so we can take a look? some of us may be able to help locate it...

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/
2019-4-3
Use props
Elv8Perspective
lvl.2
United States

Bashy Posted at 4-3 18:42
You could upload your flight log here so we can take a look? some of us may be able to help locate it...

DJI has already taken a look and "doesn't know what caused it'.

I fly around water towers all the time, never had an issue with either drone.

I looked for 5 hours, cant find it.  Battery was located at the green dot.  Blue circle was last GPS Coordinate.  

I looked in the trees (no leaves, so easy to see), the roof of the building. The highway, the train tracks, the yards of the houses, and flew my Mavic Air over the tower (didnt see it).... still could be up ther, i just couldnt see it.
20190402_121811.jpg
2019-4-4
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Elv8Perspective Posted at 4-4 02:11

I understand your situation and very sorry for the inconvenience. Your case has been escalated to the management for better assistance, the designated team will review and contact you during the working time soon. Appreciate your support and understanding.
2019-4-4
Use props
Elv8Perspective
lvl.2
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 4-4 03:15
I understand your situation and very sorry for the inconvenience. Your case has been escalated to the management for better assistance, the designated team will review and contact you during the working time soon. Appreciate your support and understanding.

Thank you Diana.... btw, I love the profile picture!  Wonder Woman is the epitome of a strong woman, not only a strong woman character, but Gal Gadot, strong lady.  

I appreciate your assistance.
2019-4-4
Use props
Grumpy D
First Officer
Flight distance : 18245 ft
United States

Bashy Posted at 4-3 18:42

Take a look here https://phantompilots.com/threads/lost-connection-crash-lost-drone.143219/
2019-4-4
Use props
Elv8Perspective
lvl.2
United States

Adding these.  Still no sign of the drone.  Literally mind blown that it's no where to be found.
DeptfordTower-6.jpg
DeptfordTower-3.jpg
2019-4-8
Use props
Jeff Millard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>
United States

I went there on Wednesday and looked all around the impound lot from south of the tower. (I work near there) I tried to get back by the Railroad tracks, but the road was flooded and there was a lot of train activity by an engine moving a short line of railcars around. There's quite a bit of tall vegetation all around the area near where you found the battery. I was going to go back and look some more this weekend, but it looks like it's going to be raining most of the time. I flew around on the south side over the lot just to see if I could pick something up in the lot around the vehicles to no joy. My guess is, it's in that tall grass to the north west from the tower. If I can get back there any time soon, I'll try to look there and overfly it. I just wasn't willing to fly back there from the south, only to suffer a similar loss. Sorry I couldn't help.

Jeff
2019-4-12
Use props
Jeff Millard
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Elv8Perspective Posted at 4-8 05:33
Adding these.  Still no sign of the drone.  Literally mind blown that it's no where to be found.

Sorry for the second post, but I didn't "reply." I just wanted to be sure you saw my previous message.

Jeff
2019-4-12
Use props
Elv8Perspective
lvl.2
United States

Jeff Millard Posted at 4-12 16:23
Sorry for the second post, but I didn't "reply." I just wanted to be sure you saw my previous message.

Jeff

I was found, and finally recovered.  Thanks for the help.
2019-7-2
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Elv8Perspective Posted at 7-2 04:39
I was found, and finally recovered.  Thanks for the help.

So is DJI refresh any good, have DJI replaced your P4P ?
2019-7-2
Use props
Sick Dog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 451119 ft
United States

at least you have the carcass to send dji for replacement now, hope it works out for you.
2019-7-2
Use props
Jeff Millard
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Funny, every time I drive by that tower I wonder what the outcome of this was. I see that he recovered it, but no mention if they are going to repair it for him. I'd really like to know how it turned out, and where he actually found it.

Next question... Say you find one of these but can't find the owner. Is it possible to have it repaired by DJI if you're not the registered owner? When I saw this whole story, I wondered if someone else had found it. The only reason all this was bouncing around in my head, was because I drive by the tower so often. And some things just make you go hmmmmmm.

Jeff
2019-7-7
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If I may ask, are those radio antennae on top of the tower? If so is it a good idea to have the drone fly near them?
2019-7-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Sean-newbie Posted at 7-7 15:33
If I may ask, are those radio antennae on top of the tower? If so is it a good idea to have the drone fly near them?

They will not cause the aircraft to crash. His aircraft hit the ground and the battery was dislodged.
2019-7-7
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jeff Millard Posted at 4-12 03:16
I went there on Wednesday and looked all around the impound lot from south of the tower. (I work near there) I tried to get back by the Railroad tracks, but the road was flooded and there was a lot of train activity by an engine moving a short line of railcars around. There's quite a bit of tall vegetation all around the area near where you found the battery. I was going to go back and look some more this weekend, but it looks like it's going to be raining most of the time. I flew around on the south side over the lot just to see if I could pick something up in the lot around the vehicles to no joy. My guess is, it's in that tall grass to the north west from the tower. If I can get back there any time soon, I'll try to look there and overfly it. I just wasn't willing to fly back there from the south, only to suffer a similar loss. Sorry I couldn't help.

Jeff

Did you look on foot or in the air?
2019-7-7
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

Elv8Perspective Posted at 4-4 02:11

Very close to me....I've lost 2 in the Delaware. Nothing I could do as far as refresh, I carried a State Farm policy for total loss.
2019-7-8
Use props
Elv8Perspective
lvl.2
United States

This drone has been recovered, sent back, and a new one delivered to me.  That was the good news.  That bad news is... this one I have now is absolute junk.

I have linked the remote, upgraded all firmware, re linked the remote, pretty much tried everything, but the connection is horrendous, and the drone is not able to be flown, due to it being a hazard if I cannot see what my camera sees.

I get the "Image Transmission is too weak, please adjust antenna".  The Antenna are fine, even when I try and move them, still the same thing.  It will connect for a second, then go back to that error or the "Aircraft Disconnected" error.

This happens no matter where the aircraft is, 2 feet away, 20 feet away, 100 feet away.  It happens regardless if I am in the city, or in a field.  

I am LIVID that this is the case, as I have already lost 3 months of drone work due to the last one, and I have a gig coming up next week, without the P4P, I have no way of accomplishing it... the Mavic Air isnt able to do what I need.
2019-7-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules