Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Flying In the Rocky Mountains - dense forest and mountains?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rfw1953
lvl.1
United States

I live in the Rocky Mountains, and will be doing drone video for my daughter-in-laws real estate business. I have a shoot scheduled within the next few days. This will be my first project other than a test project I did in my neighborhood to make sure I knew how to fly and shoot video. My first test project was a good learning experience in many areas. The attached photo was taken with the drone. I was going to add the first project test, but the file is too big.

I should mention that I have years of building and flying RC airplanes up to 1/3 scale, but I'm still a rookie in drone flying, though I've already moved from the bigonner mode to P mode with my Phantom 4 Pro + v.2. The technology has certainly come a long long way since my RC airplane flying days. Amazingly impressed with the technology today.

I've read a good bit about flying a drone in congested areas where there is a good bit of interference from buildings and various structures. I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me about flying over dense trees, near mountains and cliffs? We live at 9,560' elevation. The drone flys very well in this thin air enviroment.  I already realize that all could create a crash scenario if I hit something, which I will be careful to not do. My question is more about the possibility of signal loss when flying over dense trees, around mountains and cliffs???

I have the RTH feature set a 60 meteres, or 197', which should be well above the pine and aspen trees we have in our area. As for the RTH flight path, I've seleted all obsticale avoidance features and to follow the path flown to my RTH position.

The good news is that I don't have buildings,airports or towers to be concerned about...

Thanks for your help.
DJI_Photo - 1.jpg
2019-4-4
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day rfw1953. This is an amazing photo you have taken from an amazing location. Great work and congratulations on a job well done.
2019-4-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Wow, that’s a gorgeous pic. It makes me feel right at home... ;-)

My Father was born and raised in Canmore Alberta. My second residence.

Thanks a lot.

RedHotPoker

2019-4-4
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Captain
Flight distance : 3428747 ft
Spain

Amazing shot !!
2019-4-4
Use props
1Eagle
First Officer
Flight distance : 290348 ft
United States

A most beautiful shot for sure!!

I do most of my flying in mountain areas and in and around trees.
Pines, Firs, Cedars, Oaks, etc.

Find yourself a nice vantage point where you can see most everything you want to shoot. The trick is keeping VLOS. If you go over ridges, around bluffs or points into canyons or down into trees where you lose sight of your bird, you could quickly lose connection. Pay attention to your display. It will give you warning that your signal is getting weak before you actually lose it.

Also, if you are going to be near cliffs, watch out for up drafts. They can be very strong and unpredictable.

If you are down in the trees flying at low elevations and walking with your bird, you will quite often lose GPS and then she goes into Atti mode where you will be flying without sensors. (by the seat of your pants, as we say. lol) This can be fun and exhilarating as well as dangerous. Just pay attention to the drift and it can be quite a nice experience.

Excellent adrenalin rush for us junkies. LOL

Sounds like you have an excellent opportunity for an amazing flight. Looking forward to the video.

Good Luck and Fly Safe.
2019-4-5
Use props
sky wombat
Captain
Flight distance : 1444049 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Good photo and looking on the bright side you don't have to mow the lawn.
2019-4-5
Use props
Hurley1718
Captain
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

That's a great shot.

My suggestions would be to make sure your RTH area is free from any trees and lines before take-off. Also when you start doing real estate footage I would suggest visiting the houses next door to the one your shooting just to let them know what you are doing and that your drone may pass near or even over their house. This was you can field any questions they may have. You don't want an irritated neighbor confronting you while your flying or even calling the police.
2019-4-6
Use props
rfw1953
lvl.1
United States

1Eagle Posted at 4-5 13:27
A most beautiful shot for sure!!

I do most of my flying in mountain areas and in and around trees.

You mentioned several things that will be helpful. I don't plan on losing VLOS, especially in dense trees. I hadn't thought at all about drafts nears cliffs.  I won't be dipping down on the backside of anything. I pretty much already knew this could be something that could cause signal loss.

It sure is a different kind of flying experience. Thanks again for your helpful pointers.
2019-4-6
Use props
rfw1953
lvl.1
United States

Thanks all for the compliments on the view shot. Looking forward to capturing many more as I continue to learn. One of the advantages I had taking this shot was that I didn't have the cliffs, or dense trees to contend with. I'll keep you posted on how the project goes. Thanks again!
2019-4-6
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

Very nice shot
2019-4-9
Use props
cameracollector
Second Officer
Flight distance : 807133 ft
Canada

Here's a flight I did a few years ago in the BC Rockies with my Phantom 4, around the 1 minute mark in it's around quite a few rock outcroppings as well as many coniferous trees.

It was also about -15C that day.

2019-11-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

You seem to be having fun, and that’s all that matters...

Awesome vid by the way. ;-)

Please post more, often.

RedHotPoker
2019-11-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules