Payment illegal?
1315 7 2015-6-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
venomx15301
lvl.3

United States

The "Know Before You Fly" card that comes with the P3 says Don't: Fly for payment or commercial purposes unless specifically authorized by the FAA.
So I take it all of the photographers that use a Phantom during a shoot are violating the FAA laws?

I got my P3 just to video personal stuff and for fun.

There is a guy that delivers to my work that is quitting the company he drives for to go full time on his second job as a realtor. When he found out I bought a Phantom he said he would pay me now and then to take photos and video of property he is selling for people that hire him.

Now I am not sure I want to even chance it. What do you all do that use it at your job? Are you "authorized by the FAA"?
2015-6-6
Use props
terrylewis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

For background, see: http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/
2015-6-6
Use props
PhantomHelp.com
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

https://www.faa.gov/uas/what_can_you_do_with_your_uas

http://www.faa.gov/uas/legislati ... _to_file_a_petition

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-6-6
Use props
Michael Starley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2812 ft
United States

At this time it is not illegal to charge for Expertise Of Flight Exhibition.   
2015-6-6
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

I think the FAA will be on the lookout for real estste people..

In God we trust all others pay cash..

2015-6-6
Use props
venomx15301
lvl.3

United States

To get the Section 333/COA/whatever you also need to register the craft. No way that guy is out of luck because I do not want big numbers on my Phantom. lol
2015-6-6
Use props
SilkPurse
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2657 ft
United States

It is not illegal in that it is not a violation of law. There are no US laws governing commercial use of UAVs. There may be local laws. It is a violation of FAA regulations.  The FAA has only gone after one guy, and that was thrown out of court, though the FAA is appealing.  The FAA has released proposed regulations governing commercial UAV operation.  Because of the necessity for public comment  and bureaucratic process the regulations will not become effective for a year or more. In my area several people are openly offering aerial photo and video services.  It is my belief (and my practice) that if you follow the proposed, regulations, you probably will not get in trouble.  I emphasize that this is my opinion.  I am not advising that you start to fly commercially.
2015-6-6
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

SilkPurse Posted at 2015-6-7 06:23
It is not illegal in that it is not a violation of law. There are no US laws governing commercial us ...

Lots of misinformation.  The Pirker case was not "thrown out".  The ALJ ruled the drone used by Pirker was not an "aircraft" within the meaning of FAA regs. Ergo, the FAA had no authority to access a fine for operating the device.  The FAA appealed the ALJ's dismissal to the NTSB and prevailed.  Pirker settled the civil violation by paying a $1100 fine and both parties walked away.  The original fine was $10,000.  Logic would indicate the FAA is then empowered and willing to impose fines on those persons or entitities that violate the regulations currently in place to enter the national airspace in a commercial manner.  Whether the FAA decides to enforce these regs on a wider basis is yet to be seen.  I do know that they have reached out to local law enforcement agencies to report suspected violations.

At this time the Section 333 Exemption of Public Law 112-95 is being administered by the FAA for those seeking LAWFUL commercial use of small UAS in the national airspace.  The process is formidable and costly.  

Furthermore, the public comment time for the proposed regulations has lasped.  The proposed regs can be found here: http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=FAA-2015-0150-0017

I might add, a cost vs benefit analysis for commercial use of UAS has been included in the proposed regulation that bears considerable attention to those eager to get started.

2015-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules