12Next >
2209 56 2019-4-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

its Happened 3 time now. Last time was a rapid, repeating warning  that seem to never   Atti, Atti Atti over and over. I didn’t think I was going to bring it to the home point but was successful. All 3 time this has happened, has been with a  3nd party battery  
After the last Atti, I will NEVER use 3nd party batteries again. I just ordered a new p3p battery from DJI. DJI ONLY.
  I do not think it is a coincidence. 3nd party batteries will cause you to crash. I do not know how it causes this but I believe it does.
2019-4-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

There is no connection between third party batteries and ATTI mode. The aircraft will automatically select ATTI mode if it is not able to obtain a GPS location fix, or if there is a compass error. The most likely cause is a compass error, and the most likely cause of that is where you launched your aircraft from . So what surface did you take off from?

2019-4-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Are P3 batteries still available from DJI?

I wear a set of full cup headphones while flying my Phantom 3 Pro’.
Any warnings are loud and clear, or it’s dead silent, as they are noise reducing... with three microphones.

RedHotPoker

2019-4-5
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Czechia

Agree with Geebax ....

It would most likely be caused by another factor.
2019-4-5
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Mine did that on the last flight - for about seven seconds just as I was descending towards home and less than a quarter mile away.  Then the normal GPS mode came back.  I had 16 satellites before, during, and after.  Kind of scary.  It had never done this before.  So I calibrated the IMU and will calibrate the compass before the next flight.   The battery was legit DJI.  
2019-4-5
Use props
KenDuke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50837 ft
United States

Are you also flying with the 1.11.30 firmware?   I noticed while flying with a unbranded battery, that I would get Motor stopped or missing Prop error
and I did here Atti mode a few times too.

In those batteries, before the 1.11.30 firmware, it wouldn't let you take off.

I'm thinking this is why DJI will not release that software to the general public.  

I also think a battery manufacture has filed a lawsuit against them for changing the way the P3 acts with a unbranded battery.  If they did this before the unit was out on the shelves, then DJI would of had
no worries.  However, with the units being out for as long as they have, then, DJI making the changeover to force users to use DJI batteries, that could bring problems.  

Just my 3 cents.
2019-4-5
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Czechia

Hi Ken ... I was led to believe that battery check by firmware was initiated ages ago and well before latest FW.

As to batterys not being allowed to take off .... there are only odd few claims for this ... so I tend to think its only affected the very badly cloned packs that soon get identified.

DJI do themselves warn about carbon and dirt build up on terminals - even to extent of advising to clean them
2019-4-5
Use props
JPilotR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 584662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Question. Does it void the warranty to use 3rd party batteries?
2019-4-5
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Czechia

JPilotR Posted at 4-5 07:16

Depends who answers the question !!

I have twice put my P3 in for repairs and both times they were fully aware of 3rd party battery.

First was a FW fault and they fixed the P3 completely free of charge. The P3P was in fact outside warranty period, but the fault was one that DJI knew was prevalent in early P3P.

Second repair was my own fault and I paid - but there was no mention of my battery.

If you read the manuals ... DJI say they will not be responsible for damages due to use of non genuine items. They also in the battery / charger section near enough say its owners responsibility ! In the EU if you buy from EU dealer - warranty's cannot be voided unless the damage is directly attibutable to owners misuse / item fitted.

I would actually be interested to hear about any actual owner being refused warranty because of battery. That is the ACTUAL owner ... not second hand / third hand possibles / runours.
2019-4-5
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're sorry to know about this situation. Like Geebax mentioned, ATTI mode is not related to the batteries of your Phantom 3 Pro. The passive ATTI mode would depend on the environment and the scenarios. For further details of this situation, you may refer to the image below. I would recommend flying your drone in open areas where there are no interferences with enough GPS signal. Please let us know if you have other concerns. Thank you for your support.

2019-4-5
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Unless your third party batteries have some type of magnet in them I can not see any relation between the two.
2019-4-5
Use props
JPilotR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 584662 ft
  • >>>
United States

solentlife Posted at 4-5 07:37
Depends who answers the question !!

I have twice put my P3 in for repairs and both times they were fully aware of 3rd party battery.

Interesting. Almost like the Magnuson-Moss (spelling) Warranty Act in the US for automobile aftermarket parts. If the manufacturer/dealer cannot prove that your aftermarket part directly caused the defect/malfunction, then they must cover the car under warranty. I am curious if similar rules exist for drones. It seems that in the EU something similar does exist.
2019-4-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

JPilotR Posted at 4-5 12:22
Interesting. Almost like the Magnuson-Moss (spelling) Warranty Act in the US for automobile aftermarket parts. If the manufacturer/dealer cannot prove that your aftermarket part directly caused the defect/malfunction, then they must cover the car under warranty. I am curious if similar rules exist for drones. It seems that in the EU something similar does exist.

DJI can do whatever they like. They are a Chinese company and do not answer to American law.
2019-4-5
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 4-5 13:07
DJI can do whatever they like. They are a Chinese company and do not answer to American law.

Whilst that may be true to some extent, i would have thought that under any trade agreement between countries , accountability would be part of that agreement, the UK has a EU 2 year manufacturing warranty  and for a company to trade their wares in this country, they would have had to agree to this directive else go sling ya hook. Obviously i doubt this would apply to buying online where that company does not trade in your country though. An this is why i question a brand new battery only having a 6 month warranty, i mean, that darn thing is £180 in some places over here.....
2019-4-5
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 4-4 21:30
There is no connection between third party batteries and ATTI mode. The aircraft will automatically select ATTI mode if it is not able to obtain a GPS location fix, or if there is a compass error. The most likely cause is a compass error, and the most likely cause of that is where you launched your aircraft from . So what surface did you take off from?

The grass in my back yard. No metallic nothing anywhere around, not even my watch. The p3p has 439 hours of flight time on it and only happened 3 times. All 3 time have been with the 3nd party battery.  Maybe coincidence  ? All 3 times I was flying at 398 feet.
2019-4-5
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 4-5 00:38
Are P3 batteries still available from DJI?

I wear a set of full cup headphones while flying my Phantom 3 Pro’.

I got a new one from eBay.
2019-4-5
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

solentlife Posted at 4-5 01:12
Agree with Geebax ....

It would most likely be caused by another factor.

Could a high Kp index cause it  ?
2019-4-5
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 4-5 03:50
Mine did that on the last flight - for about seven seconds just as I was descending towards home and less than a quarter mile away.  Then the normal GPS mode came back.  I had 16 satellites before, during, and after.  Kind of scary.  It had never done this before.  So I calibrated the IMU and will calibrate the compass before the next flight.   The battery was legit DJI.

It was terrifying Mark.  It figures it had to happen to me   Do you think kp index could cause it ? I think it was only a 4 or 5 that day.
2019-4-5
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

KenDuke Posted at 4-5 03:51
Are you also flying with the 1.11.30 firmware?   I noticed while flying with a unbranded battery, that I would get Motor stopped or missing Prop error
and I did here Atti mode a few times too.

1.11.30 isn’t that the one you have to ask for ? If so, That’s not the one that I have. I have the next step down. I never had a problem with it not taking off.
2019-4-5
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 4-5 10:30
Hi, we're sorry to know about this situation. Like Geebax mentioned, ATTI mode is not related to the batteries of your Phantom 3 Pro. The passive ATTI mode would depend on the environment and the scenarios. For further details of this situation, you may refer to the image below. I would recommend flying your drone in open areas where there are no interferences with enough GPS signal. Please let us know if you have other concerns. Thank you for your support.

[view_image]

Thanks Tony. I didn’t realize it could RTH when losing gps going into Atti mode by itself. I don’t think the spark can do thins can it ?
2019-4-5
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

A J Posted at 4-5 11:59
Unless your third party batteries have some type of magnet in them I can not see any relation between the two.

We have 3 p3p batteries and we try to rotate them. Out of 435 flights it only happened 3 times and all 3 times we had the p3p 3nd party battery installed. Most of the flight have been at the same location with no problems. I did notice a weak cell in one of the banks. Do you think a bad cell could cause this ?
2019-4-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Bashy Posted at 4-5 18:51
Whilst that may be true to some extent, i would have thought that under any trade agreement between countries , accountability would be part of that agreement, the UK has a EU 2 year manufacturing warranty  and for a company to trade their wares in this country, they would have had to agree to this directive else go sling ya hook. Obviously i doubt this would apply to buying online where that company does not trade in your country though. An this is why i question a brand new battery only having a 6 month warranty, i mean, that darn thing is £180 in some places over here.....

Trade agreements only cover specific traded items. With the Internet, you can buy something in China, pay for it, have it delivered, and it does not have to conform to any rules regarding suitability of the product, or adherance to any safety rules in your country. And if the selling company is not registered and/or incorporated in your country, there is nothing you can do about it. Happens all the time, Chinese companies sell absolute rubbish to overseas buyers and there is no comeback. The laws of your country have no effect on a company manufacturing in another country (specially China) if that country does not recognise your laws. China does not recognise Western laws in anything.
2019-4-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Sayhelloforme Posted at 4-5 19:20
I got a new one from eBay.

Was it OEM DJI manufactured, & control of ??

Fit and finish ok?

RedHotPoker
2019-4-5
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sayhelloforme Posted at 4-5 19:38
We have 3 p3p batteries and we try to rotate them. Out of 435 flights it only happened 3 times and all 3 times we had the p3p 3nd party battery installed. Most of the flight have been at the same location with no problems. I did notice a weak cell in one of the banks. Do you think a bad cell could cause this ?

I can not see any correlation between a faulty battery cell and that causing the drone to switch to ATTI mode. Interesting one.
2019-4-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

JPilotR Posted at 4-5 07:16

Only If you were to crash. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2019-4-6
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Czechia

Geebax Posted at 4-5 13:07

True - if you buy from China.

But if you buy that product from for example an EU dealer - then EU law prevails on that item and Dealer.

I would assume USA and possibly Australia would have similar.
2019-4-6
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Czechia

Bashy Posted at 4-5 18:51
Whilst that may be true to some extent, i would have thought that under any trade agreement between countries , accountability would be part of that agreement, the UK has a EU 2 year manufacturing warranty  and for a company to trade their wares in this country, they would have had to agree to this directive else go sling ya hook. Obviously i doubt this would apply to buying online where that company does not trade in your country though. An this is why i question a brand new battery only having a 6 month warranty, i mean, that darn thing is £180 in some places over here.....

This is an area that EU was fighting and still fights today.

In fact EU law goes further than 2 years - certain products actually carry a 6 year warranty.

It does not need to be a Trade Agreement - the fact is that selling an item in the EU over the Counter / from EU based stock is subject to EU rules. Problem comes when you buy online and cannot have that protection.
If you look on eBay for example - you select to only view items available in EU. Up comes the item you want. Only when you buy and look closer you find item is still coming from China and NOT from an EU stock. EU has been trying to outlaw this where it flouts EU rules.
2019-4-6
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Czechia

Sayhelloforme Posted at 4-5 19:32
Thanks Tony. I didn’t realize it could RTH when losing gps going into Atti mode by itself. I don’t think the spark can do thins can it ?

Think a little error has crept in there ...

If you have no GPS - it is not possible for the AC to RTH. How will it know where it is, how will it obtain positional info to know when its over Home Point ?

What the manuals say ... is that if the AC is in A-mode and GPS is still available - RTH is still available.
A-Mode is not actually same as P-Atti which occurs when GPS and or Compass error occurs.
A-Mode is your choice to switch to ATTI style flying without GPS / Compass being part of the control sequence.

Page 11 P3P Manual

2019-4-6
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Sayhelloforme Posted at 4-5 19:23
It was terrifying Mark.  It figures it had to happen to me   Do you think kp index could cause it ? I think it was only a 4 or 5 that day.

You mean a geomagnetic disturbance.  In theory it's possible but in reality there's never been a documented case where a geomagnetic disturbance caused a DJI AC to disconnect from the satellites or otherwise cause a navigation problem.  I like Geebax's post suggesting a likely compass error meaning an error due to other reasons not related to a geomagnetic disturbance.  
2019-4-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

solentlife Posted at 4-6 01:24
True - if you buy from China.

But if you buy that product from for example an EU dealer - then EU law prevails on that item and Dealer.

DJI encourages you to buy from China, thats where their on-line shop is situated. But the point is that even if a consumer authority in the EU, US or Australia, decides that the Chinese company has broken the rules, they have no leverage against that Chinese company, the laws of those countries do not reach into China. The only way the law can affect them is if they have a presence that is registered in the country that starts the action.
2019-4-6
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 4-5 20:56
Trade agreements only cover specific traded items. With the Internet, you can buy something in China, pay for it, have it delivered, and it does not have to conform to any rules regarding suitability of the product, or adherance to any safety rules in your country. And if the selling company is not registered and/or incorporated in your country, there is nothing you can do about it. Happens all the time, Chinese companies sell absolute rubbish to overseas buyers and there is no comeback. The laws of your country have no effect on a company manufacturing in another country (specially China) if that country does not recognise your laws. China does not recognise Western laws in anything.

You missed this part I take it?

Obviously i doubt this would apply to buying online where that company does not trade in your country though
2019-4-6
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 4-5 21:02
Was it OEM DJI manufactured, & control of ??

Fit and finish ok?

Yes, OEM DJI.
2019-4-6
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

solentlife Posted at 4-6 01:37
Think a little error has crept in there ...

If you have no GPS - it is not possible for the AC to RTH. How will it know where it is, how will it obtain positional info to know when its over Home Point ?

Thanks Solentlife, that makes it very clear to me.
2019-4-6
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 4-6 03:27
You mean a geomagnetic disturbance.  In theory it's possible but in reality there's never been a documented case where a geomagnetic disturbance caused a DJI AC to disconnect from the satellites or otherwise cause a navigation problem.  I like Geebax's post suggesting a likely compass error meaning an error due to other reasons not related to a geomagnetic disturbance.

Well, that’s good to know that the suns Solar winds could not cause this.I don’t think it was anything  magnetic or steel  On the ground because all 3 time this has happened, I was flying at 398 feet high. What can cause this type of magnetic interference at this height ?
2019-4-6
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

A J Posted at 4-6 00:20
I can not see any correlation between a faulty battery cell and that causing the drone to switch to ATTI mode. Interesting one.

Well this is good news. Thanks for your input.
2019-4-6
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

A J Posted at 4-6 00:20
I can not see any correlation between a faulty battery cell and that causing the drone to switch to ATTI mode. Interesting one.

2019-4-6
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 4-6 01:09
Only If you were to crash. ;-)

LOL, true
2019-4-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Sayhelloforme Posted at 4-6 20:16
Well, that’s good to know that the suns Solar winds could not cause this.I don’t think it was anything  magnetic or steel  On the ground because all 3 time this has happened, I was flying at 398 feet high. What can cause this type of magnetic interference at this height ?

Nothing can cause magnetic disturbance at that height. The problem is where you launch from. It is not generally known, except by those who follow the forums, that the surface from which you launch is the real culprit. For example, never launch from concrete, the roof of a building, the top of a car etc. And most importantly, do not switch on your aircraft while it is resting on one of these surfaces, even if you then move it to some grass or elsewhere. The error occurs at the point of switching on the aircraft. The aircraft initialises the compass ar switch on, not knowing it is sitting on a magnetic source, then once it gets up in the air (like 398 feet), then it figures out that the compass is compromised, switches to ATTI mode and... you know the rest.
2019-4-6
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 4-6 21:19
Nothing can cause magnetic disturbance at that height. The problem is where you launch from. It is not generally known, except by those who follow the forums, that the surface from which you launch is the real culprit. For example, never launch from concrete, the roof of a building, the top of a car etc. And most importantly, do not switch on your aircraft while it is resting on one of these surfaces, even if you then move it to some grass or elsewhere. The error occurs at the point of switching on the aircraft. The aircraft initialises the compass ar switch on, not knowing it is sitting on a magnetic source, then once it gets up in the air (like 398 feet), then it figures out that the compass is compromised, switches to ATTI mode and... you know the rest.

Geebax
Thanks so much for your help. What you said does make sense. I might have turned on the p3p before I put it on the ground standing above the spot I placed it. It’s all grass and I always launch for that spot, no pipes in the ground. I could have had something magnetic in my pocket, like coins.
I do think I turned on the p3p right before I put  it on the ground.
Next time I’ll be more cautious.
Thanks again for your help and everyone else’s !
2019-4-6
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sayhelloforme Posted at 4-6 20:17

You're welcome
2019-4-6
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules