Disable Spark RTH
1750 8 2019-4-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Doc Ozzy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2174482 ft
United States

I was doing a little trail follow practice with the Spark today; paying more attention to the Spark rather than the controller. So, I didn't see/hear the RTH warning come up. And then this happened. It was a close call! I watched it fly through tree branches -- all near misses.

Question: How do you disable auto RTH on the Spark?

2019-4-5
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Your video didn't come across.  I assume it started RTH and climbed up into the trees.   I don't think you can disable Auto RTH but it can be manually overridden.  You can select RTH at Current Altitude and if you're within 20 meters it will just fly its current altitude back to the home point.  You need to practice sliding your left thumb off the control stick to the Pause button...practice until it's second nature.  If the drone starts into a mode you don't like just Pause to cancel.  
2019-4-5
Use props
Doc Ozzy
lvl.3
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 4-5 09:15
Your video didn't come across.  I assume it started RTH and climbed up into the trees.   I don't think you can disable Auto RTH but it can be manually overridden.  You can select RTH at Current Altitude and if you're within 20 meters it will just fly its current altitude back to the home point.  You need to practice sliding your left thumb off the control stick to the Pause button...practice until it's second nature.  If the drone starts into a mode you don't like just Pause to cancel.

I appreciate the input. While that is helpful, the scenario I found myself in was would have been far worse if I had set RTH at Current Altitude -- in and around a canopy of trees. (Unless the front sensors prevent it from flying into something.)

I suppose the lesson here is just to make sure the volume on my phone is turned to 10, so I can hear the warning notifications. And, yes... be quick to push the Pause button.
2019-4-5
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Video unavailable
2019-4-5
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

That's why when I go up for the first time I note the highest obstacle I'm going to fly near and adjust the RTH height.  I just set to 40m unless it's a building that is say 60m but the camera quality isn't too good so I'm not sure if an antenna is sticking out to 75m so I say set 82m.  I set this all up Before doing anything.  Before going far it should say Ready to go (GPS) and see the sat count.  Should say at least 5 or 6 but then jumps to say 16 but you don't want to go too far with only 5 as it could drop to 3 or worse.  It would be nice if they could give you a button to make it "land in place".
2019-4-5
Use props
Doc Ozzy
lvl.3
United States

Let's see if this worked.

2019-4-6
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

I can see both videos you posted. I’m happy it didn’t crash.  I would have been sweating  big time.
2019-4-6
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
Second Officer

Hungary

The solution is to turn on dynamic home point. After 15m, it puts the home point where the wire is. Here's a video:
2019-6-11
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

Too bad it only works in active track.
2019-6-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules