2365 10 2019-4-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LarryTru
lvl.3
Flight distance : 458944 ft
  • >>>
United States

Most advice on-line tends to recommnet 24 fps in nearly all situations.  That makes perfect sense for most videos, especially ones which are intened to portray the beauty/grandure of a location.  
I've got a project coming up where there is going to be more about the action it's capturing than the landscape/location.  I'm feeling like 30 FPS is a better choise for this project, but haven't found any suypport for that on-line.  

Am I right?  Should I do this one with 30 FPS?

BTW, I will be shooting 4K, so I don;t have the option of a higher frame rate.

Thanks for your advice!

Larry
2019-4-6
Use props
OllieM2P-Aus
lvl.2
Australia

this seems interesting
https://www.androidcentral.com/shooting-video-24fps-vs-30fps-vs-60fps
2019-4-6
Use props
Nicoricosancho
First Officer
Flight distance : 13196 ft
Canada

what sport? and also do you want to slow down some shots ?
2019-4-6
Use props
LarryTru
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Nicoricosancho Posted at 4-6 20:13
what sport? and also do you want to slow down some shots ?

What sport? - Firearms and shooting.

Slow down? - Yes, in general I would like to slow down some shots.  However, I have to shoot in 4k and so the highest FPS I have available is 30 which doesn't leave me with much room for slowing down.  So, based on that logic I've decided to de-prioritize slow-mo and concentrate on best quality real-time video.

2019-4-6
Use props
JHollimanPhoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 82802 ft
Germany

LarryTru Posted at 4-6 20:47
What sport? - Firearms and shooting.

Slow down? - Yes, in general I would like to slow down some shots.  However, I have to shoot in 4k and so the highest FPS I have available is 30 which doesn't leave me with much room for slowing down.  So, based on that logic I've decided to de-prioritize slow-mo and concentrate on best quality real-time video.

Why the 4K requirement, only a small percentage have 4K displays. You can just upscale 2.7k
2019-4-7
Use props
LarryTru
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

JHollimanPhoto Posted at 4-7 00:16
Why the 4K requirement, only a small percentage have 4K displays. You can just upscale 2.7k

The nature of the job requires me to maintain as much capacity as possible to zoom into a portion of the image while maintaining 1080p resolution.  It's just one of the things I have to live with.
I may do some specific shots at 2.7k and 60 FPS.  However, I asked the original question in the context of the bulk of the job which will be done at 4k.

Larry
2019-4-7
Use props
Nicoricosancho
First Officer
Flight distance : 13196 ft
Canada

Based on the sport you told me I don't see how 60fps would be enough to slow down (a bullet is too fast for this) . Unless someone does a jump shot or rolls. I'd stick to 24fps. I do the same as you for my videos 4k then zoom in, but if I want a slow-mo I'd for sure go 2.7k or even 1080 and make sure not to  miss the shot.
2019-4-7
Use props
JackPro2
lvl.1
Canada

My advice is to do this with 30 FPS and down grade on resolution as needed.  If you do the math on all of this 4K is less important than FPS.
2019-4-7
Use props
kykmavic
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5892388 ft
Cyprus

30fps is the answer.
2019-4-7
Use props
LarryTru
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Nicoricosancho Posted at 4-7 14:47
Based on the sport you told me I don't see how 60fps would be enough to slow down (a bullet is too fast for this) . Unless someone does a jump shot or rolls. I'd stick to 24fps. I do the same as you for my videos 4k then zoom in, but if I want a slow-mo I'd for sure go 2.7k or even 1080 and make sure not to  miss the shot.

Oh I'm not interested in trying to capture  bullet.  It's the action of the shooters which we may want to slow down a little which happens on a human scale where 60fps is enough.
2019-4-10
Use props
LarryTru
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for all the advice, Everyone!
2019-4-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now