1781 4 2019-4-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
R_Adams
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9144 ft
Canada

Here is the link to Transport Canada's new rules for June 1, 2019

http://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviation/drone-safety/flying-drone-safely-legally.html

Here is the link to the knowledge requirements (scroll to the bottom of the page if you want a PDF version);

http://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviation/publications/tp-15263.html

I have been methodically working through the knowledge requirements in order to challenge the Small Basic Exam. I have reached out to DJI for help with Section 2 - RPAS Airframes, Power Plants, Propulsion and Systems. It has been forwarded to their Technical Services Division for comment. To date, I have not received any reply to my query. If anyone would have an interweb reference that addresses these questions, I would be very appreciative.

The first thing I have learned is that there is not one central repository of information that would provide all of the answers to the questions posed.

Unlike the Ontario Driver’s Handbook from the Ministry of Transport (to get an automobile driver's licence); Transport Canada has scattered resources all over the interweb. In one case, the “Transport Canada - Human Factors for Aviation: Basic Handbook” needed for Section 3, Human Factors, seems to be out of print. I cannot find a local library that has a copy, and online versions for purchase are as high as $500.

Transport Canada recommends that we take an accredited Drone Ground School course, even for the Basic Pilot Certificate. These courses seem to start at $200 and can go as high as $700 if you want the Advanced Pilot Certificate and Flight Review. Kind of like taking a Young Drivers of Canada driving course to drive a car. However, I don't believe accomplished pilots should have to go to ground school to acquire the recommended knowledge base to challenge the Small Basic Certificate exam. It would be nice if the information was in one place or easy to find. The purpose of the exam is to demonstrate an understanding of how to safely operate in Canadian airspace, these barriers to knowledge will ultimately affect compliance. Has anyone else had the same experience or found the resources to complete the knowledge requirements?

I want to be a good, safe, legal member of the SRPA community. Thank you and safe flying.

2019-4-7
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm all for flight safety but this looks like the hobby is being turned into a cash cow by transport Canada.
2019-4-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day R_Adams. Thank you for sharing this very informative information regarding the new Canadian law that will take in effect on June 01, 2019. Thank you for your valued support.
2019-4-7
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10355532 ft
Canada

first time i took the test I failed, the questions had taken me by surprise, never thought for one moment the would be that difficult, studied for a couple of days then passed it. that was the basic one.
2019-4-7
Use props
jyc
First Officer
Flight distance : 2255846 ft
Canada

You need general knowledge in aeronautics, you are flying an aircraft. This includes but is not limited to airspace, regulation, weather, flight theory, error management and more. The acronym is RPAS.
2019-4-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules