1022 6 2019-4-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jim Watkins
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9132172 ft
United States

Greetings all,

not a good day for me.  Was flying my P4P and it fell from the sky apparently.  I was flying FPV when the signal disappeared.  At first I didn't realize that it had fallen from the sky, but I found it about 500' away.  Here is the flight log info.  Can someone familiar with these flight records help figure out what happened?  https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/P6HWM0PHLIBLLP986FY0/  

Thanks,

--Jim
(Burbank, CA)
2019-4-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Jim. I am sorry to know what happened to your previous flight with your DJI Phantom 4 Pro. Since this issue is happened. It appears that this issue needs to be diagnosed by our team. I would recommend you to contact our DJI support team to start up a ticket at https://www.dji.com/support . We have the professional team who would do their best to find out the reason of the incident and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Please note that DJI will not perform data analysis for cases occurring after the expiry of the warranty period; otherwise, valid charges will apply. Thank for your support.

2019-4-7
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

I see no indication you did anything wrong.  Another case of sudden loss of power.   Still under warranty?
2019-4-7
Use props
Jim Watkins
Second Officer
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 4-7 13:03
I see no indication you did anything wrong.  Another case of sudden loss of power.   Still under warranty?

I think I figured out what may have happened.  I think the battery became dislodged during hard braking.  At first I was unable to view the recorded video, but I was eventually able to recover the video from the flight which ends abruptly right as  I was braking and while the P4P was still at about 100 feet.  I think it lost battery connection at that point and I suspect, but I am not sure, that maybe the battery was not fully secured in its compartment.  Again, not certain, but I think this is what probably happened.  Now, what to do.  The P4P is damaged pretty badly.  Needs new shell.  Camera and gimbal are in two pieces although the camera it self looks undamaged.  I also own a P4 but I will want to replace the P4P with either the same thing or something better.
2019-4-7
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

I saw where that happened just before the loss, but it should not have caused it.  
2019-4-7
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

At 5 m 32.4 secs, it shows you snapped the right stick from full throttle forward in sport mode to its mid point.  It appears you allowed the spring of the controller to slam the stick to the center.  It shows the snap to center was so extreme that the stick went to center and then past center just a bit before snapping back into the center spot.  That would be a pretty hard brake.  You might be right about the battery popping out - or at least starting to come loose.  The log ended three and a half secs later.  

Sorry for your loss.
2019-4-7
Use props
Jim Watkins
Second Officer
United States

Update,

Take a look at this picture of the battery connector on the battery in use when tha P4P lost power and crashed.  Apparently the connections got hot enough to cause the plastic to melt.  I now think that when I switched to sport mode and the aircraft was drawing more current, these connections became even hotter eventually failing.  Better check your batteries!  So, the battery was properly installed but apparently the connection was insufficient for the amount of current and this caused the crash.  This certainly was not my fault but I doubt DJI will cover any of the cost to repair it.

--Jim
(Burbank, CA)
2019-4-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules