How is the ideal deep discharge process performed?
1801 11 2019-4-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fausto1991
lvl.2

United States

Hi all,
I consult you,
How is the deep discharge process carried out every 20 cycles in inspire 1?
I have seen the following in other places:

• Some people completely discharge the battery until the drone is turned off and then they charge it. In this process the cells reach the same level, but I worry about downloading it completely, since I can damage them.
  • Other people discharge the batteries to values of 10% to 15% and then put them to charge. Of this I doubt since the cells are not totally balanced.

I have searched, but I have not found the procedure established by DJI

I appreciate your comments

2019-4-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Fausto1991. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. Please refer to the post below on how to discharge you intelligent flight battery for your DJI Inspire 1. In addition I will be posting a link where in you can check the DJI Inspire 1 Intelligent Flight Battery Safety Guidelines. Thank you.

http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/i ... _Guidelines_1.4.pdf

2019-4-8
Use props
transit 350
lvl.4
Flight distance : 169137 ft
  • >>>
United States

batteries are balanced during charging not during discharging.  just run your batteries down to 20% and they will live a long life
2019-4-8
Use props
HyperSpectral
lvl.4
Flight distance : 839160 ft
United States

The cells are actually their furthest apart in voltage (generally) under load and when discharged..
2019-4-9
Use props
Fausto1991
lvl.2

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 4-8 12:42
Hello and good day Fausto1991. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. Please refer to the post below on how to discharge you intelligent flight battery for your DJI Inspire 1. In addition I will be posting a link where in you can check the DJI Inspire 1 Intelligent Flight Battery Safety Guidelines. Thank you.

http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/inspire_1/en/Inspire_1_Intelligent_Flight_Battery_Safety_Guidelines_1.4.pdf

In this section

When it mentions leaving the aircraft on until it reaches 5% or until the battery can no longer be turned on.
I ask:
the aircraft must only be turned on or the engines can be turned on?
2019-4-9
Use props
HyperSpectral
lvl.4
United States

Read the sentence directly below the underlined sentence..
2019-4-10
Use props
Fausto1991
lvl.2

United States

HyperSpectral Posted at 4-10 04:00
Read the sentence directly below the underlined sentence..

I have doubts

underlined in purple, does not apply since if the battery is completely discharged I can not see the status of the cells in the application, then which is the best option, reach 5% or discharge it completely?
2019-4-10
Use props
HyperSpectral
lvl.4
United States

Fausto1991 Posted at 4-10 06:34
I have doubts

underlined in purple, does not apply since if the battery is completely discharged I can not see the status of the cells in the application, then which is the best option, reach 5% or discharge it completely?

Quite honestly I'm not sure what your end goal is. There's really no point in deep discharging any lithium battery, all it does is reduce its life.

It can be useful for rebalancing cells but again that process further degrades the battery while (hopefully) recovering a bad cell
2019-4-10
Use props
Mark Guille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Fausto1991 Posted at 4-10 06:34
I have doubts

As far as the batteries are concerned, I would ignore percentages, they are rarely accurate, just discharge them until they switch off, they will turn off before they get to a voltage that will damage them, let them cool down then fully recharge.

Mark G.
2019-4-10
Use props
Fausto1991
lvl.2

United States

Mark Guille Posted at 4-10 08:55
As far as the batteries are concerned, I would ignore percentages, they are rarely accurate, just discharge them until they switch off, they will turn off before they get to a voltage that will damage them, let them cool down then fully recharge.

Mark G.

if the drone has it at ground level,

Can I leave the drone with the motors activated until the battery is turned off? or only the drone must be activated?
2019-4-10
Use props
Mark Guille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Fausto1991 Posted at 4-10 09:33
if the drone has it at ground level,

Can I leave the drone with the motors activated until the battery is turned off? or only the drone must be activated?

When I need to cycle my batteries, I tend to do it after a flight to speed the process a little.  I sit the drone indoors with the motors running (props off) until the battery dies, then I'll switch it back on until it turns off again, let it cool then fully recharge.

Mark G.
2019-4-11
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just had an experience that took me aback, after taking the Inspire 1 to the DJI store I was given the news thamy battery was toast, demonstrated at the test flight we took, showing instant red on all cells instantly as the power was applied. I ended up spending $400 towards 2 new batteries, the really bad news is that ALL my batteries were displaying the same behavior. Well, not one to leave well enough alone I decided to do the deep discharge recharge cycle and first time netted disastrous result, with the battery getting crazy hot, I did let it totally discharge as I was afraid it was time to put it to sleep, then I decided to repeat the process, I am happy to report the battery responded and started breathing again, flew it till it was below 50% didn't realize I actually went down to 34%, nevertheless I will do some cautious flying with that battery next time I charge it, and will put all my batteries through the same process to see if I get the same results.
2019-4-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules