Format or delete from computer
844 13 2019-4-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_cE6gBourZq0N
lvl.1
Sweden

Hi. Pretty new to drone and the Mavic 2. When after import, in my case through FCPX and Lightroom, I am looking for a convenient way to format the card and internal storage.
There must be a way, a software, to use through the computer. Am I missing something? So far I connect the mavic with the remote control + phone and use DJI GO, which is kind of a hassle when I just want to format after import.
So which software to use for that and for other reasons to get into settings of the drone and camera through Mac?
Thanks a big bunch!
Fred
2019-4-9
Use props
ricci2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 61158 ft
  • >>>
Spain

hi,
I always use this for the Mac, its small and bug free and free.

ricci

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/eula_mac/index.html
2019-4-9
Use props
saviour
Second Officer
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

It's no rocket science. Just plug in the SD card into your pc and delete everything or use the format option via DJI go.
2019-4-9
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

When you connect up for your flight, you should get a checklist screen which shows the system status. It does on my MP. At the bottom is the option to format the SD card. It takes barely a second to do. So make this part of your personal checklist routine. You know the one, gimbal guard off...

Some things to know.
The perfect way to format the SD card is to do that in the device (it might not always be a drone. Perhaps a camera, phone, gizmo???) All format oddities like FAT, FAT32, and others which can prevent reliable operation in the equipment will be eliminated. Yes, you can format on a PC, possibly a MAC, but I did that once and messed up the card. My mistake.

When you format, there are two options on a PC. Full format which takes quite a while and quick format which just cleans out the area where the address of the file resides. That is why you can recover deleted data, with the right software.
A proper formatting like a full format on a PC, triggers a lot of things behind the scene. The file addresses are deleted, the data itself should be wiped, though not over written so an expert can recover all or some of it. and the SD card is checked. The checking may surprise a few of you. With every write of data, the change in the value of the bits (0110010100110) may change and this will over time, damage the memory. The checking tests for stable memory and if faulty, it closes up that memory block and releases some spare area on the card. Some of you might have seen claims on YouTube that your 16gb card can be boosted to 64gb. What is done here is to corrupt the spare memory allocation so the spare becomes accessible. Don't fall for it. It won't work for long.
In a sense, formatting can be viewed as destructive, though sensible users will realise that in the real world, it isn't an issue. I still have 256K cards many years old that still work fine.

Deleting is not destructive in the same way, because when you delete on an SD (or hard drive), the file address is changed so the space is released. Again, with the right software and skill, the actual data can be recovered.

What do I do?
When I get home after a shoot, I put the SD card in a card reader on the PC and drag a copy of the file (DCM-100MEDIA) containing the images  or video onto a fast external drive. This is store only, I do not work with the copy, there. I rename the 100MEDIA folder name to something useable like Dorset monument 09-04-2019 so I can find it easily later.
When it comes to editing, I copy the stored folder of just the items of interest to my hard drive. This is always the fastest device to use when working on (or playing) video.
I save the worked on copy with the File name suitably modified. DJI123 Front of Dorset monument I do this so I can quickly search for the original DJI123

Note. I always have a backup in the external hard drive of the original. Never work with it, take a copy to the hard drive and work on that. This way, you won't easily destroy a perfect photo.
I format the SD card in the drone and fly.

I hope this is of interest.

2019-4-9
Use props
djiuser_cE6gBourZq0N
lvl.1
Sweden

ricci2 Posted at 4-9 02:33
hi,
I always use this for the Mac, its small and bug free and free.

Thanks I will check it!
2019-4-9
Use props
djiuser_cE6gBourZq0N
lvl.1
Sweden

saviour Posted at 4-9 02:59
It's no rocket science. Just plug in the SD card into your pc and delete everything or use the format option via DJI go.

Thanks!
Delete everything doesnt destroy the continous count of files? Which I prefer.
DJI Go for desktop?
2019-4-9
Use props
djiuser_cE6gBourZq0N
lvl.1
Sweden

saviour Posted at 4-9 02:59

Thanks!
It doesn’t destroy the continuous count of files? Which I prefer.
And DJI Go for desktop?
2019-4-9
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Guernsey

djiuser_cE6gBourZq0N Posted at 4-9 04:22
Thanks!
Delete everything doesnt destroy the continous count of files? Which I prefer.
DJI Go for desktop?

You can set the count to be continuous (not related to the SD in use) or to restart from zero, in the drone (or any camera). If it encounters a used number, it increments to the next free number however it is set.
That makes it possible to use multiple SD cards with or without numbered files on it.
2019-4-9
Use props
djiuser_cE6gBourZq0N
lvl.1
Sweden

AlansDronePics Posted at 4-9 04:16
When you connect up for your flight, you should get a checklist screen which shows the system status. It does on my MP. At the bottom is the option to format the SD card. It takes barely a second to do. So make this part of your personal checklist routine. You know the one, gimbal guard off...

Some things to know.

Thanks a lot. Good things to think of..

For me actually the bigger question is how do I connect to my drone via the computer to be able to change camera settings, drone settings. Formatting whatever. Is there a way to do that ...or am I just realizing it’s all set in the remote control and not in the drone itself?
2019-4-9
Use props
djiuser_cE6gBourZq0N
lvl.1
Sweden

AlansDronePics Posted at 4-9 04:16

Some things to know.

For me actually the bigger question is how do I connect to my drone via the computer to be able to change camera settings, drone settings. Formatting whatever. Is there a way to do that ...or am I just realizing it’s all set in the remote control and not in the drone itself?
2019-4-9
Use props
djiuser_cE6gBourZq0N
lvl.1
Sweden

AlansDronePics Posted at 4-9 04:30
You can set the count to be continuous (not related to the SD in use) or to restart from zero, in the drone (or any camera). If it encounters a used number, it increments to the next free number however it is set.
That makes it possible to use multiple SD cards with or without numbered files on it.

Ah great info, didn’t know that. Thanks!
2019-4-9
Use props
saviour
Second Officer
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

djiuser_cE6gBourZq0N Posted at 4-9 04:35

You can't do that. You obviously want to change the settings using your phone connected with the drone.
2019-4-9
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Guernsey

djiuser_cE6gBourZq0N Posted at 4-9 04:35

Apart from firmware updates, (I no longer update the drone now) It is more hassle than it is worth, downloading SD card data through the drone. I don't have a M2, but DJI have a video about it.
Regarding settings on the drone. This is done through the GO4 app, so connect up as though you are going to fly. You can do this at your desk and fore safety, remove the props.
Now you can work methodically through all the settings, even use the camera and take snaps and video to see what changed. That way you get to learn what is important to you. If you make a mistake, you can reset to default with no worries.
The settings are remembered on your viewing device as part of the GO4, I believe. If you switch devices, the settings may revert to those on that device.
I explained how easy it is to format, seconds before flying.
You need to develop a system so you don't delete something important. I could have deleted vids from the past that were poor, but years later saved me from a reshoot.
2019-4-9
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. The SD card and the internal storage of the drone can be formatted using the DJI GO 4 app on your mobile. Please ensure that the aircraft and the application are connected. However, if you wanted to reformat the SD card using the computer software then I'm afraid that we don't have a recommended application for this particular process. We're sure that our valued DJI Forum members would provide the best recommendation in regards to this process. You may refer to the image below for your reference. Please let us know if you have other concerns. Thank you for continued support.

2019-4-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules