A few questions after first flight.
831 2 2015-6-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
venomx15301
lvl.3

United States

My and a buddy went to the local park and found a big open spot with no trees or people.

I turned everything on and did the compass calibration.
I waited until it said it was safe to fly. I left the RC on a bench and walked the P3 about 10 feet away.
As I was walking back my buddy said it was saying ATTI Mode over and over. Now that I think about it I am guessing it was because the RC wasn't facing the P3?

During that first flight, about 8 minutes in, I took it up to 394.6 feet. I took some pics at that height.
When I got home and put the SD card into my PC and looked at the properties of the images one says the altitude was 104.6, another 116.9, all of them are different and I did not change altitude of the P3. Is that feet? If so why is it so far off?

When the first low battery warning came I decided to test the RTH, I hit the button on the RC and it started shooting upwards. The P3 was like 10 feet off the ground. I panicked and started moving the controls. I guess that canceled the RTH. I flew around a bit and decided to try again. I hit the button again, the app said RTH activated, and then it did nothing. I didn't touch the controls and waited. Still nothing so I tried again, app said it was activated and still nothing. I just landed it and shut it all down. Is that normal for it to say active but not really activate it after it was cancelled?

When I activated my P3 I picked a name for my P3. In the User Center/Me it has my P3 named. But if I go to Flight Record and click on one it shows a P3 but scrolling under that it says to choose a name for my inspire. That a bug?

Sorry for the stupid questions. Go easy on me please.

I do know one thing, I need to buy a screen shade. When the sun came out from behind the clouds I couldn't see the screen.
2015-6-6
Use props
PhantomHelp.com
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

>> As I was walking back my buddy said it was saying ATTI Mode over and over. Now that I think about it I am guessing it was because the RC wasn't facing the P3?

Either you manually selected A-mode (via the PAF switch) or you were in P-mode and were not connected to enough satellites. If the latter, your Phantom was probably in the process of starting up. It will sometimes take a few minutes to connect to satellites after turning it on. You can read more about the various flight modes in the Phantom manual.

>> I decided to test the RTH, I hit the button on the RC and it started shooting upwards

This is by design. When RTH is initiated, your Phantom will climb to the set RTH altitude and then start moving toward the home point. That altitude can be set in the DJI Pilot application. It's a good idea to always double-check it when flying in a new location.

>> I panicked and started moving the controls. I guess that canceled the RTH.

If you move the left stick after RTH has been initiated, your Phantom should stop climbing to the set RTH altitude and start moving toward the home point immediately. It sounds like you're describing that it just stopped trying to return home. If true, that should not happen.

>> But if I go to Flight Record and click on one it shows a P3 but scrolling under that it says to choose a name for my inspire

Double-check that you're running the latest version of the DJI Pilot application. If using the Android version, you should always download it from the link below since it's sometime more up-to-date than the Google store:

http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3/download

>> I do know one thing, I need to buy a screen shade.

You can find sun shades here:
http://www.PhantomHelp.com/#RemoteControllerP3

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-6-6
Use props
venomx15301
lvl.3

United States

Thanks for taking the time to answer!

>> Either you manually selected A-mode (via the PAF switch) or you were in P-mode and were not connected to enough satellites. If the latter, your Phantom was probably in the process of starting up. It will sometimes take a few minutes to connect to satellites after turning it on. You can read more about the various flight modes in the Phantom manual.

It found 10 satellites  and didn't change much after that. According to the app it was always in P mode.

>> This is by design. When RTH is initiated, your Phantom will climb to the set RTH altitude and then start moving toward the home point. That altitude can be set in the DJI Pilot application. It's a good idea to always double-check it when flying in a new location.

Yeah I know it is by design. This was my first time flying a Phantom and as soon as I did the RTH my mind went into ITS GOING TO FLY AWAY! over and over and I panicked.

>> If you move the left stick after RTH has been initiated, your Phantom should stop climbing to the set RTH altitude and start moving toward the home point immediately. It sounds like you're describing that it just stopped trying to return home. If true, that should not happen.

Yep it just stopped. I will test it again the next time I get to go out and fly. I do not plan to use it if it is not an emergency. I was testing it and showing it off to my friend who didn't think it would return home with a button push.

>> Double-check that you're running the latest version of the DJI Pilot application. If using the Android version, you should always download it from the link below since it's sometime more up-to-date than the Google store:

I am using the iOS app. And I had just downloaded it this morning.

Again thanks for taking the time to help me.

2015-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules