Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Hawaii (Big Island) - Recommendations ?
759 18 2019-4-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RGMGFitness
Captain
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good Morning All,

We'll I'm heading to Hawaii (The Big Island) on two weeks and I'm bringing the Mavic Air with me.  Very excited!  

I've got a few day trips lined up and have quite a few waterfalls on my bucket list of things to see and photo/video.  If anyone else has been to the 'Big Island' and has any MUST SEE or MUST DO items they can recommend please feel free to drop me a line below.  Otherwise, will see you guys when I get back and hopefully have some great video/photos to share as well.

helicopter-tour-big-island-falls.jpg
2019-4-11
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Excellent shot! Thanks for sharing.
2019-4-11
Use props
cutis
Captain
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

Markedly prescribed and balanced photo.

Dont let aircraft ingest corrosive hydrogen sulfide volcano emissions because laid residence residual will corrode with water vapor of tropical humidity
2019-4-11
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Been to several of Islands.  Kauai being my favorite.  Only a short Jet hop over.

Would recommend taking at least one Helicopter tour.  Get to see a lot of beautiful scenery, that you would otherwise miss.

If you are Certified Open-water diver, then Scuba diving is a must.  If not, then look into safe scuba dives for beginners or those not certified.  There is also Hookah diving (surface supplied air via hose).  Or submarine ride.  
2019-4-11
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 4-11 10:22
Been to several of Islands.  Kauai being my favorite.  Only a short Jet hop over.

Would recommend taking at least one Helicopter tour.  Get to see a lot of beautiful scenery, that you would otherwise miss.

For taking photos / videos on rides (helicopter, submarine, bus), take a long a collapsible rubber lens boot (sun-shade).  By putting boot up against the window, boot will block out reflections, vehicle lighting, and other passengers camera focus lights and strobe flashes.  

Sometimes rubber boot against window will help you stabilize camera for better pictures.
2019-4-11
Use props
RGMGFitness
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Good stuff...thanks for the feedback so far. Yes, a helicopter tour will probably be on the list of things to do while I'm there.   
2019-4-11
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Have a great trip! Happy flying!
2019-4-11
Use props
ro_flyer
Captain
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

Make a video of the beaches with green, black, red sand !!!
2019-4-11
Use props
ro_flyer
Captain
Brazil

2019-4-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Looking forward to your footage!
2019-4-12
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What a stunning place to visit - looking forward to your footage
2019-4-12
Use props
PappyD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 343816 ft
United States

here's a link to a map that I found useful on our trip to the Big Island. You can pick them up on the Island or download one.
Big Island Map
My wife and I got there the weekend the fissures appeared. We stayed out of the Pahoa area as it was being evacuated.
If you don't have a 4x4 take one of the rides to Papakolea Beach (Green Sand Beach ) it was a long ride but fun, my Osmo2 was tested and passed. I'll try to post a link as too how amazing it kept the horizon steady as the Jeep bounced and bottomed out.
AWESOME OSMO2
Punalu'u Beach (Black Sand)  is where I had my scariest drone moment, a fly away. I trampled the grass under the palms between the parking lot and Rt. 11, Mavic Air recovered, it could have flown the other way and went in the ocean, LUCKY me.
if you travel to the top of Mauna Kea, take a coat, it was in the 80's at the bottom and 30's at the top. saw my first "No Drone Zone" sign there.
Waipio Lookout and the water fall was almost as much fun as the ride to the Green Sand Beach. The falls got covered by fog as we got close enough to take a picture but we saw it. If any of this helps you, I would like a picture of it. (another long haul without a 4x4 and 1/2 the hike will be up hill)
Rainbow Falls was a nice stop and there is a Statue of King Kamehameha in the park in Hilo if you don't get to see it on O'hau.
We were lucky and Volcano National Park was reopen while we were there, the lava tube was closed but at the time I don't think I would have went in. The Jaggar Museum and lookout there had an awesome glow from the crater at night. hope this helps you with your trip and safe travels,

2019-4-12
Use props
RGMGFitness
Captain
  • >>>
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 4-11 19:01

Definitely!  Can't wait to see some of those beaches.  
2019-4-15
Use props
RGMGFitness
Captain
  • >>>
United States

PappyD Posted at 4-12 14:10
here's a link to a map that I found useful on our trip to the Big Island. You can pick them up on the Island or download one.
Big Island Map
My wife and I got there the weekend the fissures appeared. We stayed out of the Pahoa area as it was being evacuated.

Thanks for the tips!  I'll download that MAP (good stuff).  Wow, that video you posted looks crazy...I rented a jeep while I'm out there, but man...that terrain looks sketchy even with the jeep.  

Thanks again!
2019-4-15
Use props
ro_flyer
Captain
Brazil

RGMGFitness Posted at 4-15 08:11
Definitely!  Can't wait to see some of those beaches.

Have a look at this video on my YouTube channel:

There are footage of those beaches and more incredible destinations on Big Island

Cheers!!
2019-4-15
Use props
RGMGFitness
Captain
  • >>>
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 4-15 10:03
Have a look at this video on my YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPSS-JlhOgc

Just got back from Hawaii....did check out your video.  Good stuff!  
2019-5-6
Use props
RGMGFitness
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Finally had a chance to upload DAY 1 from my Big Island Hawaii trip.   Here's just a peak...again, just the 1st day so not a lot of drone footage (a little at the end of video).  But will be posting much more soon...still playing catch up after returning.  

2019-5-6
Use props
ro_flyer
Captain
Brazil

RGMGFitness Posted at 5-6 11:48
Finally had a chance to upload DAY 1 from my Big Island Hawaii trip.   Here's just a peak...again, just the 1st day so not a lot of drone footage (a little at the end of video).  But will be posting much more soon...still playing catch up after returning.  

https://youtu.be/2-EtVCfjKrQ

Nice video, made me miss a lot Kona!!! Thanks for sharing!
2019-5-6
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RGMGFitness Posted at 5-6 11:48

https://youtu.be/2-EtVCfjKrQ

Looks like you had a great time! Thanks for sharing and looking forward to more drone footage.
2019-5-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules