Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
The Pocket's internal mics are great for vlogging.
3049 19 2019-4-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David_Harry
Captain
United Kingdom

Hi.

I'm just finishing editing a two part video about vlogging with the Pocket using just its internal mic system. The first part is about the two small rig options I've put together, one for totally hand held and the other with a grip and legs. The second part is going to be an example of the rigs in use showing how good the internal mics can be with a bit of post processing.

Here's the second part of the video, it's missing an intro/outro and titles but the audio is finished. I just thought I'd post this nearly completed version so that Pocket users can get another example of the internal mic system. When I've completed the two parts I'll update this post with the two final videos.

I'd really appreciate any feedback on how this audio sounds.

Cheers,
Dave.

2019-4-11
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for sharing your amazing work with us. Cheers!
2019-4-11
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

United Kingdom

Hi Dave.
It's pretty much as I find it out and about if I subtract one channel in post-production. I haven't used any foam protection for the inboard mics yet and can't say I've suffered any low-frequency noise so far but then I've not used it in anything other than a light breeze so far.
A few things I have noticed that you didn't mention. Perhaps because where you were the background noise was higher than the areas I visited.
First, the auto record volume. Isn't that noticeable in use inasmuch as there is little noticeable pumping of the volume in its operation, even when sudden loud, sharp noises pierce unexpectedly.
That the noise floor is remarkably free from any 'white noise' when it's very quiet and the auto-volume control winds itself up to the point that it picks up my breathing and footsteps as well as any clothing rustling.
That can actually be very annoying at times but understandable.
That the clothing that I wear makes a difference to how much audio is picked up behind the Osmo Pocket when its mics face me. A woolen jumper reflects less sound than a waterproof nylon jacket.
In inside areas large enough not to pick up sounds generated by the user but near solid structural walls etc. the timbre of any voice can change quite a lot as they turn.
I have been less concerned about dropping my Osmo Pocket since I made my own holder for it. Extending the body by only 2cm and adding a small ridge around the Pocket just below the operating buttons has allowed me a better grip in use.

I'm sure your video will reassure other users to be more confident out and about but maybe an additional still image of your use of the foam shield as a reminder would be of benefit to those viewing your video here that perhaps haven't watched your other videos.

I should get an opportunity around the 22nd of this month to cobble together a video or two using the Osmo Pocket out and about at a couple of festivals and try out both inboard and external mic setups. Maybe one video of each.
2019-4-11
Use props
Tide
Captain
South Korea

Nice and shape audio.
I am looking forward the next video about post processing work flow.
2019-4-11
Use props
Oh-no
Second Officer
Hong Kong

Thanks Dave, nice video, good demo !!
2019-4-11
Use props
Oh-no
Second Officer
Hong Kong

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 4-11 12:53
Hi Dave.
It's pretty much as I find it out and about if I subtract one channel in post-production. I haven't used any foam protection for the inboard mics yet and can't say I've suffered any low-frequency noise so far but then I've not used it in anything other than a light breeze so far.
A few things I have noticed that you didn't mention. Perhaps because where you were the background noise was higher than the areas I visited.

Ray, windshield is a hard decision thing, sometimes you do not want wind noise, sometimes you need it .....

Dave's demos are always very good, he taught me a lot, now I am trying to build something which is flexible and minimal.
2019-4-11
Use props
Oh-no
Second Officer
Hong Kong

Dave, what is your recommended mic level setting at OP, AUTO or specific?
2019-4-11
Use props
Oh-no
Second Officer
Hong Kong

Dave made a video before, using a cut-short mic windshield looks like a cup to accommodate the OP and hold it with a mic clip, it is a very handy and simple design, however, you need a mic clip otherwise when your fingers slide around the foam it will pick up some noise.... I want to handheld the OP without anything clamp on, so still thinking about how to make a windshield for both mics ....
2019-4-11
Use props
Oh-no
Second Officer
Hong Kong

A bit off topic, but small tips for iPhone and Airpod users, when you mount the OP to the iPhone and record with the internal mics, you can use the iPhone mic to monitor the sound around the OP by using "live Listen" function of the iOS. (Note: NOT monitor the OP mic source)

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=181628&page=2#pid1802302
2019-4-12
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Nice video and nice sharp audio. Thanks for sharing.
2019-4-12
Use props
David_Harry
Captain
United Kingdom

Tide Posted at 4-11 16:01
Nice and shape audio.
I am looking forward the next video about post processing work flow.

Hi.

Thank you. I'm just finishing off a bunch of tests and proper videos for my main YouTube channel, once I'm up to date I'll do a tutorial on how I deal with the Pocket's audio which may be helpful to others.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-4-12
Use props
David_Harry
Captain
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 4-11 12:53
Hi Dave.
It's pretty much as I find it out and about if I subtract one channel in post-production. I haven't used any foam protection for the inboard mics yet and can't say I've suffered any low-frequency noise so far but then I've not used it in anything other than a light breeze so far.

Hi Ray.

I look forward to your audio examples and how you go about them.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-4-12
Use props
David_Harry
Captain
United Kingdom

Oh-no Posted at 4-11 23:31
Dave, what is your recommended mic level setting at OP, AUTO or specific?

Hi.

For every mic that I've tried the auto setting is best.

The Pocket needs quite specific conditions in order to get the best match with it and any external mic. This is all down to how its dynamics processing and gain stage work. Once I'm up to date with the videos for my main YouTube channel I'll do a video explaining in detail how the Pocket and its dynamics processing works, which will explain why auto is the best option.

If anything changes with the Pocket's audio system in the future, maybe with a software update, I'll also explain that aw well.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-4-12
Use props
David_Harry
Captain
United Kingdom

DJI Panda Posted at 4-12 02:50
Nice video and nice sharp audio. Thanks for sharing.

Hi.

You are very welcome.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-4-12
Use props
Oh-no
Second Officer
Hong Kong

David_Harry Posted at 4-12 04:48
Hi.

For every mic that I've tried the auto setting is best.

Thanking you in advance, my friend :-)
2019-4-12
Use props
David_Harry
Captain
United Kingdom

Oh-no Posted at 4-12 05:47
Thanking you in advance, my friend :-)

Hi.

You are absolutely welcome, in adavance

Check back later I'm uploading a couple of clips that may be of interest to Pocket owners. I've been sent a lavalier mic to review from a Chinese manufactorer and have just been out testing it with my Pocket, GP7 and smartphone. I'm going to upload two examples, one as it went straight into the Pocket and one that I've processed.
Cheers,
Dave.
2019-4-12
Use props
Oh-no
Second Officer
Hong Kong

Dave, I always confused by the OP english manual, so I dig deep to find the Chinese manual.

The noise reduction selection at video section of the Mimo app, english manual mention noise reduction only, but in Chinese manual it did mention for wind noise reduction, may be you knew it already, but I am not, at first I still wonders if it is to reduce picture noise or ambient audio noise.
Same as the Follow/ Tilt locked function takes me a while to understand ....
2019-4-14
Use props
David_Harry
Captain
United Kingdom

Oh-no Posted at 4-14 02:10
Dave, I always confused by the OP english manual, so I dig deep to find the Chinese manual.

The noise reduction selection at video section of the Mimo app, english manual mention noise reduction only, but in Chinese manual it did mention for wind noise reduction, may be you knew it already, but I am not, at first I still wonders if it is to reduce picture noise or ambient audio noise.

Hi.

I assumed it was audio noise. With stuff like that, even if it were picture noise, I would always switch it off and have the least amount of processing when capturing.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-4-14
Use props
Oh-no
Second Officer
Hong Kong

David_Harry Posted at 4-14 02:28
Hi.

I assumed it was audio noise. With stuff like that, even if it were picture noise, I would always switch it off and have the least amount of processing when capturing.

You are right  ~~
2019-4-14
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

Nice one, Thanks for sharing
2019-4-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules