Measure altitude after descending down cliffs?
998 5 2019-4-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wolfwater69
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1685472 ft
  • >>>
United States

After going down a cliff near ocean cliffs, the altitude starts reading negative values. How do you measure the distance between the bottom of the sensor to ground level?
2019-4-11
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

That negative height value is the height above (or below) the takeoff point. It never shows the height above ground level.

If the drone is close enough to the ground, you'll also see the "VPS" height at the bottom of DJI GO. That's the height from the bottom of the drone to the ground (or obstacle below the drone) according to the measurement from the downward sensors.
2019-4-11
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. Like msinger mentioned, the height value on the app is the height below or above the ground from where the drone took off. Hope that this would clarify your query for today. Thank you for continued support.
2019-4-11
Use props
Warriewoodlad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 625230 ft
Australia

msinger Posted at 4-11 12:00
That negative height value is the height above (or below) the takeoff point. It never shows the height above ground level.

If the drone is close enough to the ground, you'll also see the "VPS" height at the bottom of DJI GO. That's the height from the bottom of the drone to the ground (or obstacle below the drone) according to the measurement from the downward sensors.

Thanks for that info Msinger. I was confused recently when flying down off a cliff over the sea. I didn't realise there were 2 different height indications and thought my MP was doing something strange.
2019-4-11
Use props
wolfwater69
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Thanks, I will look for those measurement next time.
2019-4-15
Use props
wolfwater69
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Thanks, I will look for those measurement next time.
2019-4-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules