Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Dark spots on Mavic Air White Cap
960 11 2019-4-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AirMaster
lvl.1
Canada

Has anyone else experienced this before?

Not sure why, but recently I noticed that my white Mavic Air has these peculiar dark spots on the white cap, almost like burn marks.

I never dropped nor had any problems with the drone before, and am just curious as to what may have caused this discolouration. I believe the discolouration is internal, as I tried to clean it off but the dark spots remained. I don't think it's a big issue, but just in case it's an indication of something that I may not be aware of at the moment.

I would appreciate some expert opinions on what's going on. I edited the pictures (just contrast increase and lower exposure) to accentuate where exactly the dark spots were. My phone camera didn't quite pick it up, so I thought this would make the spot pop out more.

Thank you!!
scrs2.jpg
scrs1.jpg
2019-4-11
Use props
cutis
Captain
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

Did it ever get hot temperature?
Assume your area is cold in april?
Seems to me the paint job is responding interactively  to a causing submerged source of heat?
2019-4-11
Use props
Edward J Smith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1852408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Could it be just from the manufacturing process?
2019-4-11
Use props
AirMaster
lvl.1
Canada

I never flew the device under extremely hot temperature. The hottest day I've flown is probably when it was ~24oC. I live in Canada and most of the shooting I did was in fact, in winter. I think the coldest day I've flown this is when it was ~ -20oC!!!

I appreciate the raw speculations and conjectures, but if anyone has a better insight than myself, as to what may have caused this please do let me know.
2019-4-13
Use props
cutis
Captain
United States

Airmaster, if it debuted abruptly, you'll likely recall just what you did with it that made it happen?
If it gradually became to what it is, then harder to recall what you did with it?
From pattern shown, appears as if underside reinforcment ribs and or molded contours might be leaching plasticizer chemical interact to exterior laid coating you see?
Does it smell peculiar (indifference from before anomaly?)
2019-4-13
Use props
Alex1976
First Officer
Flight distance : 556867 ft
Italy

Probably i know the reason of these spots. Please could you make a photo of the inside of your drone transport case? I have the same spots on my black Mavic Air. Obviously its less visible but there are on the black cap. If you can make the photo of the case i can explain. I bet its the same problem.....
From this photo you can understand what has happened to my mavic air

Mavic Air Inside Case.jpg
2019-4-14
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

Alex1976 Posted at 4-14 03:01
Probably i know the reason of these spots. Please could you make a photo of the inside of your drone transport case? I have the same spots on my black Mavic Air. Obviously its less visible but there are on the black cap. If you can make the photo of the case i can explain. I bet its the same problem.....

Yup that might be the reason
Well at least yours is in black instead of white
2019-4-14
Use props
cutis
Captain
United States

So it is plasticizer leachate chemically interacting. That means contoured fit expandable foam aint compatible to mavic air exterior chemistry.
2019-4-14
Use props
AirMaster
lvl.1
Canada

Alex1976 Posted at 4-14 03:01
Probably i know the reason of these spots. Please could you make a photo of the inside of your drone transport case? I have the same spots on my black Mavic Air. Obviously its less visible but there are on the black cap. If you can make the photo of the case i can explain. I bet its the same problem.....

Oh my goodness. That is the exact same case that I use!!
So weird how such material can chemically interact to leave those peculiar spots. And I'm finishing up my Honours Chemistry major over here lol. Thank you so much for this. Yes, this exactly is what probably happened, as I use the exact same case as your picture shows.

Although, I am now really curious as to what specifically caused this discolouration... could it be the material from the case or is it the plastic material that the DJI use on the Mavic Air? Wonder if any other case with different foam patterns will cause their own unique dark pattern on top.. LOL!
2019-4-17
Use props
cutis
Captain
United States

The same leaching of chemical occurs between electric guitar strap laid or in contact with guitar finish (nitrocellulose or polyurethane).
Notice the two participants are of opposite hardness. One pliable, the other embrittled
2019-4-17
Use props
Alex1976
First Officer
Flight distance : 556867 ft
Italy

AirMaster Posted at 4-17 17:44
Oh my goodness. That is the exact same case that I use!!
So weird how such material can chemically interact to leave those peculiar spots. And I'm finishing up my Honours Chemistry major over here lol. Thank you so much for this. Yes, this exactly is what probably happened, as I use the exact same case as your picture shows.

The case is the cause for sure of discoloration. On my Mavic Air it is barely visible because my drone is in black. Maybe you can put a little paper foil (or other material) between drone and molded foam to prevent further discoloration. Other than that it is a very good case for transport of Mavic Air
2019-4-18
Use props
Scotty Shep
Second Officer
Flight distance : 136168 ft
Finland

might be a dodgy injection mould casting of the casing, sometimes these can be thin and not noticeable and also skipped passed the QC check, but the price you pay for the MA  this shouldn't happen.
2019-4-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules