New Sony RX0 ii versus the Osmo Pocket in 4K
4594 16 2019-4-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
markr041
lvl.3
United States

Each camera was mounted side by side on a tripod rig. Both shot in 4K 30 at 100 Mbps using their Standard color. All auto. No adjustments in post.

The first clip in each scene is the Osmo Pocket.

The Rx0 ii is a tiny camera, but with a 1" sensor and fully waterproof. But it only has electronic stabilization, which is inferior to that of the Osmo Pocket gimbal. This video tests IQ only in relatively bright light.
2019-4-11
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Good day markr041. Thanks for sharing this video to us. Should you need anything else you feel free to post here in the forum and we are more than happy to assist you. Thank you for the continued support!
2019-4-11
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lovely video
2019-4-11
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Nice test. Thanks for sharing.
2019-4-12
Use props
DJDream
lvl.3
Israel

What about low light results?
2019-4-12
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Thanks for sharing
2019-4-13
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Great comparison
2019-4-13
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

Thanks for the interesting comparison.
RX0II color almost looks like Cinelike D.
Do you see the benefit of 1” censor in good light condition?
Wonder the low-light performance difference.
2019-4-13
Use props
mikevman
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for this, looks like a tad bit better dynamic range on the sony, but thats a 1" sensor, if the osmo was in cine D i think it would be close, some low light please.
2019-4-13
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

Nice video
2019-4-15
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi Mark.

Nice examples. Although I'm a massive Sony fan, in this instance I'd have to side with the Pocket. The Sony will be better for certain things but I feel the Pocket will be better for more things. Even if the Sony were the same price I'd say the Pocket would still be my choice between the two. I've started using the Pocket locked off with a manual setup, something I think Sony would have had in mind with this camera, but feel the Pocket may have the advantage with.

One thing that's great with both is that are they more like camcorders rather than action cameras.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-4-18
Use props
markr041
lvl.3
United States

David_Harry Posted at 4-18 12:03
Hi Mark.

Nice examples. Although I'm a massive Sony fan, in this instance I'd have to side with the Pocket. The Sony will be better for certain things but I feel the Pocket will be better for more things. Even if the Sony were the same price I'd say the Pocket would still be my choice between the two. I've started using the Pocket locked off with a manual setup, something I think Sony would have had in mind with this camera, but feel the Pocket may have the advantage with.

Fair enough. But I am surprised you ignore the biggest flaw with the Pocket - the audio. Mono, cumbersome external connector, not near the quality of the Sony Stereo audio. Plus the Sony has meters and full audio manual control (continuous).

Once the RX0 ii is on a small gimbal, then one can match the Pocket's maneuverability (which is a big deal) and enjoy the Sony advantages. But you do lose pocketability. And 4K60p, which is important.
2019-4-20
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

markr041 Posted at 4-20 15:26
Fair enough. But I am surprised you ignore the biggest flaw with the Pocket - the audio. Mono, cumbersome external connector, not near the quality of the Sony Stereo audio. Plus the Sony has meters and full audio manual control (continuous).

Once the RX0 ii is on a small gimbal, then one can match the Pocket's maneuverability (which is a big deal) and enjoy the Sony advantages. But you do lose pocketability. And 4K60p, which is important.

Hi Mark.

I agree with what you've said but given that the Pocket's audio was a given it's something that it'd never compete with the Sony with.

The Sony is awesome and given the right scenarios there's not much that will compete with it. But for pure flexibility in the picture and stabilisation department, the Pocket really does offer a number of benefits.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-4-20
Use props
DJDream
lvl.3
Israel

markr041 Posted at 4-20 15:26

Once the RX0 ii is on a small gimbal, then one can match the Pocket's maneuverability (which is a big deal) and enjoy the Sony advantages. But you do lose pocketability. And 4K60p, which is important.

Hi Mark.
The Osmo Pocket has its own flaws, and things that may be improved are improved monthly by the DJI team through firmwares.
Sony RX0 II is a double price camera compared with Osmo Pocket... Yep, and even it is double the price of OP it lacks the most amazing feature found in the video cameras today - stabilized 4K@60fps which is found on the OP.
Well, the sound is not that good on the OP, and probably the low light video is not as good on OP as on Sony RX0 II (what a strange name is it, isn't it?) but it is a product that costs only half and still has many strength over a $700 product.
Osmo Pocket is a great value !
2019-4-20
Use props
markr041
lvl.3
United States

DJDream Posted at 4-20 22:02
Hi Mark.
The Osmo Pocket has its own flaws, and things that may be improved are improved monthly by the DJI team through firmwares.
Sony RX0 II is a double price camera compared with Osmo Pocket... Yep, and even it is double the price of OP it lacks the most amazing feature found in the video cameras today - stabilized 4K@60fps which is found on the OP.

Just to be clear - I have both! They both have their unique benefits.
2019-4-21
Use props
markr041
lvl.3
United States

markr041 Posted at 4-21 06:31
Just to be clear - I have both! They both have their unique benefits.

Sound comparison of RX0 ii and Osmo Pocket: Live Music in the Same Place (different time):

Osmo Pocket:

Sony RX0 ii:

2019-4-22
Use props
robomaniac
lvl.2
Canada

I love the bigger FOV of the sony!
2019-4-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now