Spark went rouge....
2542 23 2019-4-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Vidfact
lvl.2
Flight distance : 56722 ft
United States

So it happen....DJI Spark went rogue....I was flying in door with out GPS...In atti mode....nice and slow...I was practicing before commercial shoot of ballroom ....low battery warning...so I bring spark next to me for landing...push down for landing...and then happen...spark refuse to land...and start acting totally mad...I have zero control....eventually hit the wall ....so question I have what exactly happen..?...can imagine that happening on commercial shoot....Spark went totally rouge....on its own and refuse to land...more likely  RH activate and just went bazurk...but it was no GPS signal...so how exactly it was planning to do that...it is crazy...drone override manual flight control and decide on its own to refuse to land? ...it is a serious bug and can create a lot of harm....it should be manual override of auto pilot....period....or DJI will be responsible for what happen if drone flys on its own....why is RH active during landing with out GPS signal available ?....now I’m totally lost trust in this drone fling idea...if I can’t controlled...I’m not flying it...
2019-4-13
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

In ATTI drone will never do a RTH.

If you like upload your flightlog, mayby it will explain what did happen to your Spark.

link > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

cheers
JJB
2019-4-13
Use props
Vidfact
lvl.2
United States

JJB* Posted at 4-13 06:24
Hi,

Ok...i will upload the back box data...but i never did that before..so give me a little bit time to figure this out.....about RH in Atti...i was under the same impression so dit test flight without wary...but something went wrong.
2019-4-13
Use props
Vidfact
lvl.2
United States

Hi,

Ok...i will upload the back box data...but i never did that before..so give me a little bit time to figure this out.....about RH in Atti...i was under the same impression so dit test flight without wary...but something went wrong.
2019-4-13
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Not the black box,upload  the flight record from the go4 app in your device, phone/tab
follow the lead in the link!
2019-4-13
Use props
Lysak2003
First Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

Flying indoors is always a bad idea For comertial work indoors I think you should try Osmo or Ronin gimbal for DSLR
2019-4-13
Use props
Vidfact
lvl.2
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 4-13 09:55
Not the black box,upload  the flight record from the go4 app in your device, phone/tab

Ok...i got that...but not sure if is the right one..somehow they do not have some sort of id...
2019-4-13
Use props
Vidfact
lvl.2
United States

Lysak2003 Posted at 4-13 12:56
Flying indoors is always a bad idea For comertial work indoors I think you should try Osmo or Ronin gimbal for DSLR

Yep...is just one problem....they dont fly...
2019-4-13
Use props
Vidfact
lvl.2
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 4-13 09:55

OK I did upload...and it is the right one. ..Flight Record from that flight.
2019-4-13
Use props
Vidfact
lvl.2
United States

Hi,

I did upload the Flight Data from that flight...and thank you for your help.
2019-4-13
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

And where is the link to the upload, please?
Copy the URL of the phantom help page, after the upload.
The "ID" is the timestamp.
And in this case, the "no location" when watching it in the app.
2019-4-13
Use props
Vidfact
lvl.2
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 4-13 19:39
And where is the link to the upload, please?
Copy the URL of the phantom help page, after the upload.
The "ID" is the timestamp.
Ok im new to that....let me do it once more this time will look for a link....stiupid me i just upload and was under impresion im done...sorry.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/LZTOHT1AGBNEGIL118AT/

And this the log in dropbox
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i1e8aceyx564rgn/DJIFlightRecord_2019-04-12_%5B14-09-31%5D.txt?dl=0
2019-4-17
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

You started without GPS but you flew in P-GPS Mode and in the end , your bird decided to do an RTH at 15% battery

1m 31.2s        Tripod        9satellites        10.2ft        9.5ft        0mph        0ft        52%        10.708V        3.591V        3.568V        3.549V        0.042V        Home Point recorded. Return-to-Home Altitude:197FT

5m 24.4s        Go Home        7satellites        4.9ft        4.6ft        0.9mph        10.5ft        15%        10.49V        3.519V        3.496V        3.475V        0.044V        Low power. Returning home.

Aside that Tripod mode does not work in ATTI mode, afaik, which should have told you : ops, I have to be in P-GPS

But wait a bit, I think there will someone do a real check of your flight record soon.

Just I think: nothing wrong with the bird, it did not know there 's a roof and wanted to get  to 197 ft for the RTH
Check for indoors minimum the "RTH at current altitude" or even "LANDING"  option and make sure, HP is not further away as 20 meters from the bird.
Aside that you should have minimum 2.5 m between start height and ceiling and the finger on the "stop RTH" button.

But it sounds that your bird is still be able to fly, right?
Lucky you, enjoy it ;-)

2019-4-17
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

put some remarks in your text:
So it happen....DJI Spark went rogue....I was flying in door with out GPS...In atti mode [ no, in OPTI mode ] ....nice and slow...I was practicing before commercial shoot of ballroom ....low battery warning...so I bring spark next to me for landing...push down for landing...and then happen...spark refuse to land...[ a RTH initiated because of low batt!, during your flight your drone had some GPS signals receiving, HomePoint was set at 1m31s (HP height 197 feet!!) ; flew some time in Tripod mode. So SPARK is doing what it should do, if you just had cancelled the RTH ]and start acting totally mad...I have zero control....eventually hit the wall ....so question I have what exactly happen..?...can imagine that happening on commercial shoot....Spark went totally rouge....on its own and refuse to land...more likely  RH activate and just went bazurk...but it was no GPS signal...[ GPS signals were received ] so how exactly it was planning to do that...it is crazy...drone override [ manual overrride on low power RTH is possible but better just cancel RTH ] manual flight control and decide on its own to refuse to land? ...it is a serious bug and can create a lot of harm....it should be manual override of auto pilot....period....or DJI will be responsible for what happen if drone flys on its own....why is RH active during landing with out GPS signal available ?....now I’m totally lost trust in this drone fling idea...if I can’t controlled...I’m not flying it...

IMO nothting wrong with your SPARK, guess you was not aware of flying in OPTI mode and in Tripod mode, the last mode you have must select by yourself. As in ATTI mode (as you were thinking) Tripod mode is not available, this must have been a trigger for you that GPS signals were there.
Same for HomePoint recorded message ; in ATTI no HP is set.

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
analysis2.png
analysis3.png
2019-4-17
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Flying indoors is never a good idea - I learnt that one myself quite recently
2019-4-17
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

A J Posted at 4-17 23:44
Flying indoors is never a good idea - I learnt that one myself quite recently

You just have to remember:
Light and more light
RTH on current altitude if minimum 2,5 m over starting height to the ceiling available
And the finger aside the RTH button, to cancel!
2019-4-18
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

S-e-ven Posted at 4-18 08:10
You just have to remember:
Light and more light
RTH on current altitude if minimum 2,5 m over starting height to the ceiling available

My M2P drifted into a wall. All is fine though
https://forum.dji.com/thread-186032-1-1.html
2019-4-18
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

A J Posted at 4-18 08:13
My M2P drifted into a wall. All is fine though
https://forum.dji.com/thread-186032-1-1.html

sounds a bit  like not enough light, or isochromatic ground.
(isochromatic ground, I forgot that in the other post)
2019-4-18
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

S-e-ven Posted at 4-18 09:04
sounds a bit  like not enough light, or isochromatic ground.
(isochromatic ground, I forgot that in the other post)

It was, think carpet, all the same colour and poor light. All is well that ends well though
2019-4-18
Use props
BMelody
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3146 ft
United States

Hi All,

Here are some great tips for flying indoors. I have not tried them all but will soon just to see if all the tips work with my Spark and/or Mavic Pro. There appears to lots of controversy over which modes work where and when. However the tips appear interesting. I also have a Tello which is a great indoor flyer and the fact it has no GPS even better for indoor flying. I only fly the Tello indoors, it can be hand full in the wind. It has surprising video stability for a drone without a gimbal. Positioning stability is also quite good.

Anyway here is the link: https://www.dronegenuity.com/com ... otography-settings/

~ Bill
There is a popup message that pops up and took me awhile to find the close button. It is off the message towards the upper right.
2019-4-21
Use props
maxarnoldsr
New

United States

Vidfact Posted at 4-13 09:16

I sent my spark on a waypoint mission yesterday although it was windy.  Well I lost it.  When using 'find my drone' I can reach the exact location, about 10' from a road.  No trees.  So, if someone picked it up and the battery was turned off would I still keep getting the signal at that location?  

I could walk there right now, get the signal, stand right on top of the spot with the google map spread out as far as possible, but it is no where to be seen and nothing above for it to be stuck in.
2019-4-21
Use props
Vidfact
lvl.2
United States

JJB* Posted at 4-17 23:12
Hi,

put some remarks in your text:

I like your analyses and work you put in the researching my flight data...but unfortunately did not explain why during landing with the joystick push down...drone decided to initiated HRT
You more likely know you cannot turn off GPS on Spark..and during Flight on my phone I have ATTI display
so you Right I was not aware of the fact you cannot fly Tripod mode with out GPS but Since all was indicating I do not have GPS I was sure it is OK..now I Know...I only have problem with the fact Spark refuse to land....It was about less than 1 ft from the ground  and it look like is going to land but change mind and went Roge....at moment when my controller was displaying ATTi mode...
Bottom line I believe it should be option to turn on and off GPS and HRT and fly spark in ATTI mode so such mix signals do not happen and Drone do not decide on its own to fly home when home point was not set. and is no GPS signal to get you there...it should not override the landing command....it happen so fast and did not know I can cancel home return...all of that happen 1 ft from the ground during landing so it was no time to react.....surly when you have joustic max  to the bottom for landing you do not expect to take off and fly roge....unfortunate but I will survive..:-)))))))
Lastly Unfortunetly after that Im unable to establish GPS signal at all..but Spark Fly fine and I was able to use it for that indor job..it was no problem flying and controling is just limits the hight you can fly to max 15 but that was fine with me.

Thanks for your help..
2019-4-25
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Vidfact Posted at 4-25 11:43
I like your analyses and work you put in the researching my flight data...but unfortunately did not explain why during landing with the joystick push down...drone decided to initiated HRT
You more likely know you cannot turn off GPS on Spark..and during Flight on my phone I have ATTI display
so you Right I was not aware of the fact you cannot fly Tripod mode with out GPS but Since all was indicating I do not have GPS I was sure it is OK..now I Know...I only have problem with the fact Spark refuse to land....It was about less than 1 ft from the ground  and it look like is going to land but change mind and went Roge....at moment when my controller was displaying ATTi mode...

Hi Vidfact,

The reason that it did not land while 100% down stick input ; imo because the low power batt wanted to bring the craft back home. So it tries to go to the RTH height ( 60 meters), beacuse you gave down input it remains more or less at the same height. (software = UP steering, RC stick down steering)

cheers
JJB

2019-4-27
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

JJB* Posted at 4-27 11:25
Hi Vidfact,

The reason that it did not land while 100% down stick input ; imo because the low power batt wanted to bring the craft back home. So it tries to go to the RTH height ( 60 meters), beacuse you gave down input it remains more or less at the same height. (software = UP steering, RC stick down steering)

I fly my sparks often indoors. I just make sure that there is enough light for the opti mode and never fly below 2 battery level indicators 50%.
2019-4-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules