1267 6 2019-4-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DanielHoyland
New
Flight distance : 8176 ft
United Kingdom

Hello,
I am a resident in the UK and have recently purchased a Mavic 2 Zoom.

I've been spending a lot of time researching local laws and flight restrictions here and have come to the conclusion (rightly or wrongly) that most of the UK is off-limits in terms of flying a drone. It seems large charities / organizations own most of the land and prohibit use of drones.

Is anyone able to advise on large open areas within the UK that allow the operation of drones for personal use / cinematography?

Thank you in advance!
2019-4-15
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Where about in the UK are you?
2019-4-16
Use props
zergurush
lvl.1

Russia

Hi,

This article might help you with your questions - https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/uk-drone-laws-2019-3146402
2019-4-18
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

zergurush Posted at 4-18 18:29
Hi,

This article might help you with your questions - https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/uk-drone-laws-2019-3146402

The article covers flight restrictions by the CAA who have no control over the land here. I believe the OP wants to know where he can take off from as councils and trusts have banned drones on some public access land. The by-laws are heavily weighted depending on where you live in the UK.
2019-4-22
Use props
NightOwl999
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I've just spent quite some time drooling over drone options, only to find this and other threads about how very restricted we are in the UK to use them.

I appreciate the recent furore over drone scares at airports (what is the difference between an airport, an airfield and a private landing strip?) and would always endeavour to stay within the law, but where could I actually fly it?  Not in my garden, not in National Trust or English Heritage sites, not in parks or on the moors, on common land or even on the coast.

Is t his a hobby that (sorry) I'll never get off the ground?
2019-5-1
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

NightOwl999 Posted at 5-1 10:33
I've just spent quite some time drooling over drone options, only to find this and other threads about how very restricted we are in the UK to use them.

I appreciate the recent furore over drone scares at airports (what is the difference between an airport, an airfield and a private landing strip?) and would always endeavour to stay within the law, but where could I actually fly it?  Not in my garden, not in National Trust or English Heritage sites, not in parks or on the moors, on common land or even on the coast.

It will depend mainly on your local council policies and by-laws - some are far more lenient than others across the country. One of the great things about drones are that they encourage you to branch out and find locations you would not normally have ever known were there. Google maps, park websites etc are great to support your search and I'd recommend using the NATS drone assist app on your phone to define NFZ's where you are thinking of flying. I've flown at more than 30 different flight locations across England and Wales without any issues - common sense also plays as big a part in the flight as the planning of it too. No, you can't take off within 5KM's of airports or do a 'dronie' in front of Buckingham palace but there are plenty of places to fly safely and legally here.
2019-5-22
Use props
MiMo28
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi Daniel,
I got My drone only a for over a week and today I have clocked 2 hours of total flight time.
I live in the Hillingdon borough (near Heathrow) and because the flight restrictions I always end up driving west or north west as far away from people and populated areas as I possibly can.
So far I have discovered some nice public places and although I have met few dog walkers, nobody has made any complaints.
I had similar worries when I first got my M2P but you need to put them on the side and as long as you are responsible and away from everyone it should be fine.
Most of the UK coastlines/beaches  are owned by the Crown Estate (the Queen) and apparently there are no restrictions for drone flying.
Enjoy!
2019-5-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules