Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Using Osmo Pocket to record live music in stereo
5169 16 2019-4-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
B_Gears
lvl.3
United States

I love to go to Blues Clubs and record live music. My goal is to produce good stereo videos. I have not seen articles of people using the Osmo Pocket audio adapter and stereo microphones to record live music. My setup is using the Osmo Pocket for video and a Zoom H2N for audio. I then overlay the Zoom audio onto the Osmo Pocket video to create a stereo video. I am holding off buying the Osmo Pocket audio adapter until I see someone that has used the Osmo Pocket with external microphones to produce a good stereo video. Here is a sample of one of my Osmo Pocket & Zoom videos. Enjoy!

2019-4-15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, good day B_Gears. Thanks for sharing this very interesting video that you shot using your Osmo pocket. Very nice video. Should you have any other concerns please don't hesitate to reach us and we are more than happy to help you out. Have a good one!
2019-4-15
Use props
txtechnonerd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 175075 ft
  • >>>
United States

I will have to allow some of the other folks that are far more knowledgeable about the audio on the OP than I am answer for sure, but I believe that someone here pretty well established that the OP only records monaural sound through the adapter. I think you're gonna be stuck using a Zoom or other self-contained external recorder to capture stereo audio.
2019-4-15
Use props
txtechnonerd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 175075 ft
  • >>>
United States

This thing double posted somehow...
2019-4-15
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

United Kingdom

You did a good job of syncing the audio here.
Just as an aside, what did the audio from the Pocket sound like from this gig?
Care to show a short clip as an example of how it does on its own?
2019-4-16
Use props
BeterBan
Second Officer
Austria

For normal cases audio from OP is enough, for GOOD STEREO AUDIO an
external recorder is necessary. Often prices are less than DJI audio adapter.
2019-4-16
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

[Off Topic] - I'm only remotely familiar with YouTube's copyright rules, so take this as a suggestion to look into them.  This may be a copyrighted performance including both the music author and the performers.  (Meaning you need specific permissions from both to post and promote.)
2019-4-16
Use props
BeterBan
Second Officer
Austria

FPM (forum police man):

... and earth is a disk ...
2019-4-16
Use props
B_Gears
lvl.3
United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 4-16 00:15
You did a good job of syncing the audio here.
Just as an aside, what did the audio from the Pocket sound like from this gig?
Care to show a short clip as an example of how it does on its own?

Unfortunately I didn't save the original OP file. I shoot at Clubs 2 or 3 times a week. The next time I shoot I will create a video with and without Zoom audio as an example.
2019-4-16
Use props
B_Gears
lvl.3
United States

WebParrot Posted at 4-16 06:34
[Off Topic] - I'm only remotely familiar with YouTube's copyright rules, so take this as a suggestion to look into them.  This may be a copyrighted performance including both the music author and the performers.  (Meaning you need specific permissions from both to post and promote.)

I am concerned about people rights and privacy. I have been shooting photos and video for about 5 years and know most of the musicians. I am not on social media and send my photos directly to the musicians. I always ask permission from the musicians before I post their videos. Most musicians appreciate being able to see and hear what they sound like from off the stage. If someone does not want their video posted I comply with their wishes. It is the right thing to do!
2019-4-16
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

United Kingdom

B_Gears Posted at 4-16 13:14
Unfortunately I didn't save the original OP file. I shoot at Clubs 2 or 3 times a week. The next time I shoot I will create a video with and without Zoom audio as an example.

Thank you. that would be appreciated.
2019-4-16
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Great! Thanks for sharing
2019-4-17
Use props
fansfe82067d
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

I recorded a jazz gig (for the musicians, not for public consumption) by putting the Pocket on a table near the front with its wireless module fitted, also a Zoom H1N next to it, set the Zoom recording then operated the Pocket from near the back of the room, to minimise audience and performer distraction.  I could have used a app-controlled recorder instead, and had both on remote control.  I have no plan to try to record audio on the pocket itself.  I don't think we're going to see an accessory good enough for the purpose.
2019-4-17
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

B_Gears Posted at 4-16 13:19
I am concerned about people rights and privacy. I have been shooting photos and video for about 5 years and know most of the musicians. I am not on social media and send my photos directly to the musicians. I always ask permission from the musicians before I post their videos. Most musicians appreciate being able to see and hear what they sound like from off the stage. If someone does not want their video posted I comply with their wishes. It is the right thing to do!

Thanks!  Hopefully your reply will be 'consumed' by other forum members.  I appreciate that you took my post with the spirit it was intended :-)  Points that others should follow.
2019-4-17
Use props
Oh-no
Second Officer
Hong Kong

WebParrot Posted at 4-17 09:13
Thanks!  Hopefully your reply will be 'consumed' by other forum members.  I appreciate that you took my post with the spirit it was intended :-)  Points that others should follow.

YUP........ !!
2019-4-17
Use props
B_Gears
lvl.3
United States

I recorded more videos last night with the  OP and created a sample video showing the difference between OP Audio and Zoom Audio.

Video is best listened to with headphones!

PHB_4-16-2019.jpg

2019-4-17
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

United Kingdom

B_Gears Posted at 4-17 20:45
I recorded more videos last night with the  OP and created a sample video showing the difference between OP Audio and Zoom Audio.

Video is best listened to with headphones!

Thank you very much for the direct comparison clips. The Zoom is obviously much cleaner but I was surprised at the Pockets output. It sounds like it's using a compressor/ limiter rather than a soft limiter. It does add a bit of punch to the recording I was not expecting. It also sounded cleaner than I expected, albeit in mono.
Interesting results.
Thank you.
2019-4-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules