Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
RED arrow compass
2459 9 2019-4-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JJB*
Captain
Flight distance : 12132231 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Been on this forum for about year now, seeing lot of drones losses due to to much trust in the RTH.
RTH does work great on DJI drones, but not always in too much wind conditions. (and ATTI ofcourse...)
Another issue i read that some pilots fly out of sight and have no idea after while where its flying in the sky.
This last is good to understand, i must admit that i do not fly always in LOS....even at few hundred meters a Spark or MA is hard to spot in the air.

I find this important for my flights! (among many other things to check before and after takeoff)

1) have a good working compass in my drone (yeah....just calibrate it the right way)
2) have a good calibrated compass in my mobile device !!

If both compasses are OK than you can use the compass function of the attitide/compass indicator in the GO app.
This even works when the video feed is lost, do not panic (ok, for 1 second) and use that compass indicator to bring your drone back home!
[ see the first video where in the first part the mobile device compass is wrong, after calibration it is good working) ]
  • Red arrow in the compass gets info from the drone, in map view it is indication good relative to the map as N is top of the map. (no need for compass in the phone...),
  • Compass outer ring gets it info from the mobile device compass,
  • If mobile device compass is incorrect than the RED arrow indicates OK to the outer ring but gives  'incorrect' heading relative to drone position/direction,
  • if mob device compass is OK than it can be used really handy on the little compass in the app.

[ See my second video how to use the red arrow.... ]

So bottomline is ; if doing a RTH, check distance decrreasing. If not take action and don`t wait to let it drift away out of range! Within few seconds its clear if drone is getting home or not!
After drone turned towards home and distance is not decreasing, no problem to cancel RTH, engage SPORT mode and fully forward. (heading is already set to home, can be checked in in the indicator)
All this ofcourse is you are sure that the fly path back home is a safe one, mayby increase height for free way back home or lower height to get mayby less headwind.

cheers
JJB

2019-4-16
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great thread JJB
2019-4-16
Use props
G_Sig
Captain
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

Great advice thanks for sharing.
2019-4-16
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great advice JJB
2019-4-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Decreasing distance is the key.

Even if red drone icon appears to be pointed wrong way, as long as distance is decreasing at expected (reasonable) rate - drone is making progress towards home.

2019-4-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

if mob device compass is OK than it can be used really handy on the little compass in the app

True.  Point I was trying to make in another thread, it isn't always "OK".  

With DJI's CrystalSky it is hard to rely on outter ring.  It jumps around to much.
2019-4-16
Use props
JJB*
Captain
Flight distance : 12132231 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 4-16 06:39
Decreasing distance is the key.

Even if red drone icon appears to be pointed wrong way, as long as distance is decreasing at expected (reasonable) rate - drone is making progress towards home.

True, as long as the RED arrow is pointing towards the center the drone is flying to home.
But it looks strange and difficult to know where the drone is in the air....

So 2 compasses OK = easier to understand where the drone is, plus the antennas pointing the right way...(important if distance out is reaching max sending/receiving data stream....)

I use several android devices, never had any problem!
cheers
JJB
2019-4-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

JJB* Posted at 4-16 06:46
True, as long as the RED arrow is pointing towards the center the drone is flying to home.
But it looks strange and difficult to know where the drone is in the air....

I use several android devices, never had any problem!

No problem with iOS (iPhone / iPad).  

Seems to be isolated to DJI's version of Android OS or GO-4 that they run on CS.

2019-4-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Something else that may help.  As you fly drone back using direction and decreasing distance, be listening.  Which then can help you get a visual fix.
2019-4-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It’s extremely important to always be aware that it is possible to decrease altitude in RTH as well as increase speed just by applying right stick forward, Mavic Air with strong forward pitch ie forward into the wind will cancel OA to increase speed and further with right stick forward (mode 2) lowering craft where possible Mavic Air can move pretty quickly because at full pitch OA turns off.  Many of those who don’t RTH are craft flying at very high altitudes. It is of course different with Mavic Pro. as it cannot opt for a greater steeper pitch and turn off OA so your stuck with whatever is the max P mode speed, so with this craft it pretty important when in RTH into the wind to lower craft where it’s safe to do so .
2019-4-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules