3009 31 2019-4-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 40866 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hey everyone. I received my case yesterday, and charged it overnight. When I flick the switch to open the case it takes much longer than the demos I've seen on the demos, and on this forum.

Here is a poorly shot example:

2019-4-16
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Return it  ....

2019-4-16
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Looks like yours is slower than normal ....

2019-4-16
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're sorry for the troubles that it caused. Have you tried to remove the  Osmo Pocket inside of this charging case to see if there will be changes on the movement when opening the Osmo charging case? Please keep us posted for further help Thank you for understanding.
2019-4-16
Use props
txtechnonerd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175075 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think that yours is about the same as mine...
I also think it's rather slow and I had mentioned it in my comments about the case before. Personally, it isn't killing me, so I don't think I'll be returning it just for that.
2019-4-16
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

DJI Tony Posted at 4-16 10:47
Hi, we're sorry for the troubles that it caused. Have you tried to remove the  Osmo Pocket inside of this charging case to see if there will be changes on the movement when opening the Osmo charging case? Please keep us posted for further help Thank you for understanding.

DJI Tony, it's the same speed with or without the OP inside. I also have not put any accessories inside.

Does this really need to be returned? I bought it directly from DJI in China.
2019-4-16
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

TheCameraGuy Posted at 4-16 11:52
DJI Tony, it's the same speed with or without the OP inside. I also have not put any accessories inside.

Does this really need to be returned? I bought it directly from DJI in China.

Hi, thanks for the update. Please allow me to coordinate this situation into our related team for further check. Thank you for your support.
2019-4-16
Use props
darrins
lvl.4
United States

Mine is also the same speed as yours (slow). The video review unit posted here is definitely faster.
2019-4-16
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi TheCameraGuy, we have verified with our engineers that the turn on speed is normal, it is related to the room temporature, please don't worry about it.
2019-4-17
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

darrins Posted at 4-16 16:41
Mine is also the same speed as yours (slow). The video review unit posted here is definitely faster.

Hi darrins, please check my post in 10#, thanks.
2019-4-17
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

txtechnonerd Posted at 4-16 11:18
I think that yours is about the same as mine... https://youtu.be/XGh8fm-6YQ4
I also think it's rather slow and I had mentioned it in my comments about the case before. Personally, it isn't killing me, so I don't think I'll be returning it just for that.

Hi txtechnonerd, this turn on speed is normal, it is related to the room temporature, please don't worry,
2019-4-17
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

DJI Tony Posted at 4-17 02:33
Hi TheCameraGuy, we have verified with our engineers that the turn on speed is normal, it is related to the room temporature, please don't worry about it.

Tony, the temperature in my home is 20C, or about 68F. That's normal isn't it? What temp did you shoot your demo?
2019-4-17
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

TheCameraGuy Posted at 4-17 06:04
Tony, the temperature in my home is 20C, or about 68F. That's normal isn't it? What temp did you shoot your demo?

These types of doors are purely mechanical. A spring mechanism with some gearing to slow the movement down. In production sometimes too much silicon grease is applied and takes a while to distribute more evenly at which point it may speed up a little. If assembled by hand, some product variation is inevitable. I doubt it will cause any future failure. It shouldn't weaken the spring.
2019-4-17
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

If the opening is slow by a damper and damping agent is thickened by lower temperature, it should be OK. If the opening is by a motor or electric ... then it is a problem
2019-4-17
Use props
hedac
lvl.4
Spain

I can imagine the guys laughing saying... "tell him that is is because of the room temperature! hahaha"....
come on....
2019-4-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think a squirt of WD40 would sort that ;+)
2019-4-17
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 4-17 07:24
These types of doors are purely mechanical. A spring mechanism with some gearing to slow the movement down. In production sometimes too much silicon grease is applied and takes a while to distribute more evenly at which point it may speed up a little. If assembled by hand, some product variation is inevitable. I doubt it will cause any future failure. It shouldn't weaken the spring.

Your post makes the most sense to me. The speed is not bugging me, it's just that I was concerned something might be wrong with the case.

Thanks for your help.
2019-4-17
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

TheCameraGuy Posted at 4-17 12:31
Your post makes the most sense to me. The speed is not bugging me, it's just that I was concerned something might be wrong with the case.

Thanks for your help.

May be after several times of opening and closing, it will go a bit faster after the damping agent spreads. If something goes wrong in future, you can have a claim because DJI recorded it.
2019-4-18
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

hallmark007 Posted at 4-17 11:04

The fluid will goes everywhere and ruins the case .....
2019-4-18
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

TheCameraGuy Posted at 4-17 12:31

Thanks for your help.

Ray-CubeAce has got the point, there is a slight difference in the activity and dosage of the damping grease in each machine, so the speed will differ. Although the opening speed of the promotion video seems fast visually, it could damage the switch of the charging box if we use it for a very long time. So we slowed down its opening speed, please don't worry.
2019-4-18
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

DJI Tony Posted at 4-18 04:07
Ray-CubeAce has got the point, there is a slight difference in the activity and dosage of the damping grease in each machine, so the speed will differ. Although the opening speed of the promotion video seems fast visually, it could damage the switch of the charging box if we use it for a very long time. So we slowed down its opening speed, please don't worry.

Ok, thanks. You didn’t sell protection for this item. I’d pay $10 or so to get it.
2019-4-18
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

TheCameraGuy Posted at 4-18 04:14
Ok, thanks. You didn’t sell protection for this item. I’d pay $10 or so to get it.

Another way of saying 'Manually Assembled'.
Not that there is anything wrong with that.  Some things are better done by human hand.
From a production viewpoint, a spring mechanism is more reliable and cheaper to produce than using an electric motor or solenoid.
Adding a bit of extra grease would also help protect any metal components from moisture ingress when sudden temperature changes occur such as when exiting an air-conditioned car.
It's quite hard to get any form of additional warranty on certain types of peripherals as their use is unpredictable in the hands of users. I have never for instance been able to get any additional warranty on a Nikon camera battery grip despite their often exorbitant cost.  Having said that they often outlive the things they connect to anyway.
2019-4-18
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 4-18 06:37
Another way of saying 'Manually Assembled'.
Not that there is anything wrong with that.  Some things are better done by human hand.
From a production viewpoint, a spring mechanism is more reliable and cheaper to produce than using an electric motor or solenoid.

Ray, you are absolutely right, even whether proof camera with tight seals will have problem when temperature and humidity change suddenly, I have experience that an Olympus E-M5, after walking for one hour inside the Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium where the air condition is very strong, cold and dry, even I change lens half an hour later outside the building in the wild, everything goes fogged up with moisture, the worst part is the sensor and back glass of the lens. Thats why diving waterproof case has apocket of silica gels to absorb moisture/condensation during temperature change.

I think the Osmo case have vents for the battery, so air can pass through, and the rotating door is not sealed.
2019-4-18
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Oh-no Posted at 4-18 07:29
Ray, you are absolutely right, even whether proof camera with tight seals will have problem when temperature and humidity change suddenly, I have experience that an Olympus E-M5, after walking for one hour inside the Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium where the air condition is very strong, cold and dry, even I change lens half an hour later outside the building in the wild, everything goes fogged up with moisture, the worst part is the sensor and back glass of the lens. Thats why diving waterproof case has apocket of silica gels to absorb moisture/condensation during temperature change.

I think the Osmo case have vents for the battery, so air can pass through, and the rotating door is not sealed.

Hi Oh-no.
We have a Place in the UK called the Eden Project which is basically an indoor tropical rain forest that takes my camera some time to acclimatise to. I find the best way is to place the camera into a ziplock freezer bag before entry and wait for the camera to reach the required temperature, which takes around 20 to 25 minutes. Once unzipped, the camera is ready to go and best of all there is no moisture created at any point in or on the camera. Placed back into the bag before exit and again wait before using the camera again.
2019-4-18
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 4-18 07:47
Hi Oh-no.
We have a Place in the UK called the Eden Project which is basically an indoor tropical rain forest that takes my camera some time to acclimatise to. I find the best way is to place the camera into a ziplock freezer bag before entry and wait for the camera to reach the required temperature, which takes around 20 to 25 minutes. Once unzipped, the camera is ready to go and best of all there is no moisture created at any point in or on the camera. Placed back into the bag before exit and again wait before using the camera again.

Yes, zip lock bag is our best friend while encounter strange or changing climate, if no zip lock bag around, a neck scarf to wrap around the equipment also help a bit.
2019-4-18
Use props
darrins
lvl.4
United States

I think after opening and closing it a few times, it speeds up. Mine was slow to open exactly like the original poster (couldn’t use OP   But now after several days of use it opens quicker, similar to the YouTube video review posted in this thread. The engineers here who know about the opening mechanism obviously have explained why.

After several days of use, I really like the case and am happy I purchased it. Easy placement and removal, protects the lens and I just drop it in my day sling and don’t have to worry about it. Plus it’s nifty and cool.
2019-4-18
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hedac Posted at 4-17 10:17
I can imagine the guys laughing saying... "tell him that is is because of the room temperature! hahaha"....
come on....

Exactly what I thought!! lol
Surely there can be a better excuse than that?!!
2019-4-21
Use props
cgbrian.com
lvl.3
United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 4-17 07:24

My response was going to be "poor quality control".. which is what this amounts to.. I also experienced this with the first 3 OP (yes three) units I exchanged.. all had a super subtle.. probably have to be OCD to notice - click during the pitch axis rotation.. If you sat with it off in a quiet area and manually rotated it it would click around just above level.. exchange and second one clicked in 2 spots.. I was like nooooo it's worse! exchanged it AGAIN.. and clicked just below level.. I actually found that lightly squeezing the hinge points while rotating it manually (off).. cleared it up.. I'm assuming (from hand building about 25 gimbals personally).. its sloppy assembly and wire management around the BL motors.. I personally assembled some of my own gimbals and learned how to run and literally twist wires so once assembled there was a literal zero "binding".. some of the wires have tiny little white paper tags on them and if you don't place them just right the tags could even help make a tiny clicking sound... SO.. My guess is they do not assemble their products to a very high acceptable rating and rather a lower one.. yours met their testing requirements which was likely.. does it open.. or does it not...
2019-4-21
Use props
cgbrian.com
lvl.3
United States

Oh-no Posted at 4-18 00:55
May be after several times of opening and closing, it will go a bit faster after the damping agent spreads. If something goes wrong in future, you can have a claim because DJI recorded it.

I agree.. I would open and close it a few times with the absolute slightest pressure applied on the top and or bottom.. If its some excessive grease gummed up it will assist in spreading it.. or open and close it about 62-76 times and that should do it
2019-4-21
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

Interesting ... it's MOST IMPORTANT PROBLEM of this world. We need A.Einstein to solve it!

2019-4-22
Use props
Stuge234
lvl.3
India

hallmark007 Posted at 4-17 11:04

WD40 should be the last thing to put ..It should never be used as a lubricant.
2019-4-23
Use props
djiuser_P9XwwO72xA7e
New

United States

Mine does the exact same, regardless of whether the Osmo Pocket is inside or not.
2019-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules