SPARK Battery Hub not working
3277 15 2019-4-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
smarterben
lvl.1
United States

Hello All,

I've had my Spark Fly more combo for over a year now, and everything up until now has worked amazingly. The battery charging hub that came witht the flymore combo no longer charges any of my batteries.  The light on the hub lights green, but none of the battery indicator lights light up even after leaving them on the hub for an extended period of time.  Both batteries charge when plugged into the Spark with microUSB, but it's a pain to charge the batteries one by one.  

Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Ben
2019-4-17
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're sorry for the troubles that it caused. I would recommend checking the pins on the hub if there's physical damage and you may also clean those pins as well using a soft brush. Would it be possible if you could provide us the short video showing this particular scenario for further assistance? You may upload the video using the google drive or dropbox then provide the link here. Thank you for continued support.
2019-4-17
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Charge the batts fully with the bird, un-charge them 100% with the bird.
Try again charging with the hub.
Try just with on battery, try every slot
Have you had them in hibernation over the past month?
2019-4-17
Use props
fans7c52a6c8
lvl.1
United States

There is no damage to the pins or hub as far as I can tell.  I will try to give them a cleaning today as you suggest.

I'll post a video as soon as I get home today of the issue.  

@S-e-ven : I'll give that a shot.  I haven't used my spark in over a month or so prior to this issue, so I guess you could call that hibernation.
2019-4-19
Use props
smarterben
lvl.1
United States

@ DJI Tony:

Here are some videos of my attempts to charge the batteries :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T1nJ567Qk9Ie_nP2TOcWIbKXs-pE9iUf/view?ts=5cb9fd57

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D4kKB0-CB1uEx9WcE3PfNlxKhhxvklAV/view?ts=5cba016c

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
2019-4-19
Use props
jyc
First Officer
Flight distance : 2255846 ft
Canada

smarterben Posted at 4-19 09:16
@ DJI Tony:

The led on the hub is supposed to stay solid green. Have tried a different outlet?
2019-4-19
Use props
fansb449f264
lvl.1
United States

Hello All,

So here's my progress so far.  

Initially when I plugged the batteries in, the hub light did light up green (but still no charge to batteries).  I've since drained the batteries using the Spark, and batteries are dead now. Plugged those in, and now hub light turns on red, with no charge to the batteries themselves.  Left one battery on the hub overnight to see if anything would happen......no luck.  Nothing charges still on the hub.  I have tried different outlets throughout the house. I have also tried a battery in every slot.
2019-4-20
Use props
fans8f35388d
lvl.1
United States

Has anyone else experienced this issue?  Is there anything that DJI can do? or am I basically stuck charging my batteries one by one?  Not sure if I should go ahead and buy something new....or wait to see if DJI stands behind their product? any thoughts?
2019-4-22
Use props
fans8f35388d
lvl.1
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 4-17 10:28
Hi, we're sorry for the troubles that it caused. I would recommend checking the pins on the hub if there's physical damage and you may also clean those pins as well using a soft brush. Would it be possible if you could provide us the short video showing this particular scenario for further assistance? You may upload the video using the google drive or dropbox then provide the link here. Thank you for continued support.

@ DJI Tony:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T1nJ567Qk9Ie_nP2TOcWIbKXs-pE9iUf/view?ts=5cb9fd57

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D4kKB0-CB1uEx9WcE3PfNlxKhhxvklAV/view?ts=5cba016c

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
2019-4-24
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Have you tried to charge the Batterie IN the Spark?
With a 2A Charger, or even a quick charge 2 or 3 Charger?
2019-4-24
Use props
jyc
First Officer
Canada

S-e-ven Posted at 4-24 09:56
Have you tried to charge the Batterie IN the Spark?
With a 2A Charger, or even a quick charge 2 or 3 Charger?

OP stated that the batteries DO charge when inserted in the Spark. In all logic it seems that the hub has become defective.
2019-4-24
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

fans8f35388d Posted at 4-24 08:43
@ DJI Tony:

Hi, thanks for providing these videos to us. I would like to ask if you've managed to charge the battery using the aircraft? You may try to charge the battery while it's been installed in DJI Spark to isolate the problem. However, if the batteries, would still not respond to the charger, I'm afraid that the batteries need to be in sent into our facility for further check. For additional information, the warranty period for the battery of Spark is 6 Months and Charge Cycle less than 200 Times. You may check the link below for your reference. Please keep us posted on the latest progress.

https://www.dji.com/service/policy
2019-4-24
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

jyc Posted at 4-24 12:14
OP stated that the batteries DO charge when inserted in the Spark. In all logic it seems that the hub has become defective.

Ops, sry, I missed that somehow.
2019-4-24
Use props
fans8f35388d
lvl.1
United States

Yes, batteries charge while plugged into the Spark (I have 4 batteries).  Charge cycle is definitely less than 200 per battery, but I've had my Spark for barely over a year now so I fall outside the warranty period.  I think JYC is right....everything points to the hub being defective.  

I'm already dying to upgrade my drone and buying a new hub for $90 from DJI probably is out of the question, bc that could be new drone money.  I will likely look for an aftermarket charger that will charge all my batteries at once until I eventually upgrade.  

Does anyone have any recommendations that wont cost an arm and leg?
2019-4-25
Use props
jyc
First Officer
Canada

fans8f35388d Posted at 4-25 12:45
Yes, batteries charge while plugged into the Spark (I have 4 batteries).  Charge cycle is definitely less than 200 per battery, but I've had my Spark for barely over a year now so I fall outside the warranty period.  I think JYC is right....everything points to the hub being defective.  

I'm already dying to upgrade my drone and buying a new hub for $90 from DJI probably is out of the question, bc that could be new drone money.  I will likely look for an aftermarket charger that will charge all my batteries at once until I eventually upgrade.  

Look for used hub, some people crash their aircraft and sell the accessories.
2019-4-26
Use props
D2_cayde
lvl.4
United States

if it doesnt work then charge the batteries with the drone but i would say buy another one
2019-5-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules