No map & battery drain
1364 22 2019-4-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SlowSL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8409 ft
United States

New to DJI, having some minor issues with DJI Go 4, version 4.3.14.  I see a lot of videos, mainly tutorials for various features, and I see that their version of DJI Go shows a map or direction/attitude indicator.  I can't seem to find how to show it while I'm connected to the spark.  I see some discussion on moving from google maps to mapbox after an app update, but nothing about the map being removed completely.  Strange thing is, if I am NOT connected to the spark, there is no map until I click and pull up any one of the settings menus, then close the menu, the mapbox map pops up in the bottom left corner.  I can also click to switch to the heading/attitude bubble.  In order to view the map in full screen, first I must click the virtual joystick button (to deactivate the joysticks) in the bottom left, and the map disappears, but I can click the menu, close the menu, then the map reappears, and I can click the map and now it will go full screen.  As I said, when I'm connected to the spark, no map at all, I've tried everything.   I also seem to be missing a lot of settings that appear to be available in the tutorials, but maybe these settings were removed in the latest app update?  Also, after 10-15 minutes using the app, my phone is extremely hot, and my battery has depleted about 20%, this is the only app that has ever drained my battery like this, is it normal?
2019-4-17
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

What type of device are you using ? You do know you can cache maps. Also you need a internet connection but since you’re using a phone you have cell service which will work also. Are you flying in airplane mode ? Because your cell phone is getting hot,  this could point to your device as the problem.  Do you have another device to try and see if anything changes ? After the new update, I haven’t had any issues that you are experiencing.
How are you connecting to the spark ? WiFi or otg cable ?
You could try to delete the app and reinstall it to get some features back but as far as your phone getting hot it sounds like you don’t have enough rom or processing power to run dji go4 app.
2019-4-17
Use props
MavSpa_user
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

If you check the release note: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... elease_Notes_EN.pdf
That version Go app is tested and stable for the Spark, You don't have to update all the time if it's not for Spark.
And the most stable version for android phone/tablets with an OTG cable supported is 4.1.15
@apkmirror,just google you will find the old versions. https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/dji-technology-co-ltd/dji-go-4/dji-go-4-4-1-15-release/
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/dji-technology-co-ltd/dji-go-4/dji-go-4-4-2-21-release/dji-go-4-for-drones-since-p4-4-2-21-android-apk-download/
2019-4-18
Use props
SlowSL
lvl.2
United States

Sayhelloforme Posted at 4-17 19:45
What type of device are you using ? You do know you can cache maps. Also you need a internet connection but since you’re using a phone you have cell service which will work also. Are you flying in airplane mode ? Because your cell phone is getting hot,  this could point to your device as the problem.  Do you have another device to try and see if anything changes ? After the new update, I haven’t had any issues that you are experiencing.
How are you connecting to the spark ? WiFi or otg cable ?
You could try to delete the app and reinstall it to get some features back but as far as your phone getting hot it sounds like you don’t have enough rom or processing power to run dji go4 app.

Galaxy S7, also tested with Galaxy S5 yesterday, both app experiences exactly the same.  I tried to cache the map.  It allows me to select the area on the map and give it a name, but no way for the map to display.    I'm connecting via wifi on the phone only.  To my knowledge, shouldn't be a problem using wifi and the cell data simultaneously.  I have an RC and OTG cable on the way, should be here Saturday.   
2019-4-18
Use props
SlowSL
lvl.2
United States

MavSpa_user Posted at 4-18 01:25
If you check the release note: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... elease_Notes_EN.pdf
That version Go app is tested and stable for the Spark, You don't have to update all the time if it's not for Spark.
And the most stable version for android phone/tablets with an OTG cable supported is 4.1.15

I installed the app straight from the Google play store.  Figured it would be the most up to date and stable since it's on the play store.  
2019-4-18
Use props
SlowSL
lvl.2
United States

Okay, strange thing.  I uninstalled DJI Go 4, then installed DJI Go (previously didn't have it installed), then re-installed DJI Go 4 just a minute ago straight from the play store again.  This time, going into the app while disconnected from the spark (at work, don't have it with me), the mapbox pops right up, and I don't need to glitch the settings to get it to show.   I also have a lot more settings available to work with.  One thing I noticed that went away, is the virtual button at the bottom left of the screen in order to switch between the virtual sticks and the camera gimbal control.  Also missing the virtual button at the top right which allows the gimbal to be moved by tilting the phone up or down.  Maybe this is because I'm offline, and not connected to the spark, even though they were available to me before while offline.  I will see how it behaves once I get home and can connect to the spark.
Does DJI Go 4 require that DJI Go be installed for all features to work?
2019-4-18
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

SlowSL Posted at 4-18 07:26
Okay, strange thing.  I uninstalled DJI Go 4, then installed DJI Go (previously didn't have it installed), then re-installed DJI Go 4 just a minute ago straight from the play store again.  This time, going into the app while disconnected from the spark (at work, don't have it with me), the mapbox pops right up, and I don't need to glitch the settings to get it to show.   I also have a lot more settings available to work with.  One thing I noticed that went away, is the virtual button at the bottom left of the screen in order to switch between the virtual sticks and the camera gimbal control.  Also missing the virtual button at the top right which allows the gimbal to be moved by tilting the phone up or down.  Maybe this is because I'm offline, and not connected to the spark, even though they were available to me before while offline.  I will see how it behaves once I get home and can connect to the spark.
Does DJI Go 4 require that DJI Go be installed for all features to work?

No, DJI go4 does not need DJI go to work or  Vice a versa   
The good thing is that you got some features back by reinstalling.
Your phone overheating is still an issue. I would disable as many apps running in the background as I could and this will help.
2019-4-18
Use props
SlowSL
lvl.2
United States

Sayhelloforme Posted at 4-18 09:04
No, DJI go4 does not need DJI go to work or  Vice a versa   
The good thing is that you got some features back by reinstalling.
Your phone overheating is still an issue. I would disable as many apps running in the background as I could and this will help.

My phone only gets that hot when I'm running super graphics intensive virtual reality apps.  If I'm offline with Go 4, , no problem, it's only when I'm connected to the spark.  It also produced a rapid battery drain on the Galaxy S5 phone which doesn't have much else running.  I can put the phone into airplane mode once I get the RC and OTG cable correct?  Or will it still need info from the phone?
2019-4-18
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

SlowSL Posted at 4-18 10:37
My phone only gets that hot when I'm running super graphics intensive virtual reality apps.  If I'm offline with Go 4, , no problem, it's only when I'm connected to the spark.  It also produced a rapid battery drain on the Galaxy S5 phone which doesn't have much else running.  I can put the phone into airplane mode once I get the RC and OTG cable correct?  Or will it still need info from the phone?

Once you get the OTG cable, there is no need for WiFi and you can then put the s7 in airplane mode.
Not sure if you know this but the whole idea of airplane mode is no interference  from device ( phone or tablet )
Let us know how it goes.
I’m sure you will like the OTG cable. But be very careful putting and taking out the OTG cable because ports have been broken because some didn’t pay very close attention to the way they plugged it in.
When you get the OCT cable, you will notice what up and what’s down by looking at the end of the cable, controller side. Some have put a dot on one side so they will know what’s up and what’s down. Just be gentle and it will be good to go.
2019-4-18
Use props
SlowSL
lvl.2
United States

Sayhelloforme Posted at 4-18 11:43
Once you get the OTG cable, there is no need for WiFi and you can then put the s7 in airplane mode.
Not sure if you know this but the whole idea of airplane mode is no interference  from device ( phone or tablet )
Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for all the info!  I'm coming from a background of flying racing quadcopters manually & FPV, which I've always built & configured myself, which can be quite the task and headache getting everything soldered, configured, and tuned correctly.  The DJI stuff always looked so polished, but let it be my luck that I would have issues with something like this.  It's a very strange feeling for me to just let the quadcopter be in control of itself , but I'm starting to get used to it.
I figured the OTG cable was mainly to have a low latency connection from the controller to the phone, being that the controller is doing all the telemetry.  

To follow up on my issues.  The extra settings and map were short lived.  Once connected to the spark, I'm right back to where I was with fewer settings, and no map.  I do have a theory though,   I did a data test while connected to the spark and a strong cellular 4g data signal.  Come to find out, my phone or provider cannot do cell data while connected to wifi.  So, I'm hoping that by connecting to the RC, the app will show the extra settings, and with the phone providing cellular data, hopefully get the map to show.  Then again, that contradicts using airplane mode, since all data signals get disabled.  My packages were delayed, now expected Saturday, so I will see how everything works out when connected to the RC & OTG cable.   I'll report what I find over the weekend.
Thanks again!

**edit***
I should also mention that I can't get the offline maps to load either.
2019-4-19
Use props
Joller79 DK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26447 ft
Denmark

If you fly with phone only and no controller, then it is normal. I disliked that feature, we need option to togle map on off even without remote..
2019-4-19
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

SlowSL Posted at 4-19 10:28
Thanks for all the info!  I'm coming from a background of flying racing quadcopters manually & FPV, which I've always built & configured myself, which can be quite the task and headache getting everything soldered, configured, and tuned correctly.  The DJI stuff always looked so polished, but let it be my luck that I would have issues with something like this.  It's a very strange feeling for me to just let the quadcopter be in control of itself , but I'm starting to get used to it.
I figured the OTG cable was mainly to have a low latency connection from the controller to the phone, being that the controller is doing all the telemetry.  

Well tomorrow is Saturday and I know how that feels. Let us know how it goes with the OTG cable.
Also, you might want to try post #3 to see if that version works better for.you.  
2019-4-19
Use props
SlowSL
lvl.2
United States

Well, didn't have much trouble at first.  Remote paired as it should, OTG cable worked, phone 's wifi was turned off, took it for a quick flight and tried the remote out, all was good.  2nd try yesterday evening, absolutely would not connect with OTG cable no matter what I tried.  I bet I spent over an hour trying various things, watching tutorials, powering on & plugging in the cable in different orders, etc, never got it to work, so settled for wifi connection to RC.  This morning, tried again, and same issue.  I searched and searched, come to find out, the micro to micro OTG cables, are directional.   I flipped the cable ends around and connected right away.   What a pain.   Aside from that, happy to have unlocked the Spark's full potential.  I'd like a little more range though.  With my few flights with the remote, 3,000ft(.56mi.). is my limit, out in the country with very few houses around.  I know there are lots of factors that dictate signal strength/interference.  Are the antenna mods a gimmick, or are they worth looking into?
2019-4-22
Use props
SlowSL
lvl.2
United States

Sayhelloforme Posted at 4-18 11:43
Let us know how it goes.

You are right,  the plug on the RC is a rectangle, and can easily be plugged in backwards if you don't look closely.  Prongs are only exposed on one side of the cable, and one side of the RC input.  I hope there is a good reason they decided to make it this way.  Glad you mentioned this, I would have tried jamming it in there without even knowing.
2019-4-22
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SlowSL Posted at 4-22 05:20
Well, didn't have much trouble at first.  Remote paired as it should, OTG cable worked, phone 's wifi was turned off, took it for a quick flight and tried the remote out, all was good.  2nd try yesterday evening, absolutely would not connect with OTG cable no matter what I tried.  I bet I spent over an hour trying various things, watching tutorials, powering on & plugging in the cable in different orders, etc, never got it to work, so settled for wifi connection to RC.  This morning, tried again, and same issue.  I searched and searched, come to find out, the micro to micro OTG cables, are directional.   I flipped the cable ends around and connected right away.   What a pain.   Aside from that, happy to have unlocked the Spark's full potential.  I'd like a little more range though.  With my few flights with the remote, 3,000ft(.56mi.). is my limit, out in the country with very few houses around.  I know there are lots of factors that dictate signal strength/interference.  Are the antenna mods a gimmick, or are they worth looking into?

Why do you need a 3000' range if you're using the drone to just pull down tree branches in front of you to release birds?
2019-4-23
Use props
Lysak2003
First Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

MavSpa_user Posted at 4-18 01:25

In this case I think it is better to use DJI GO MOD 2.0 with all it capability
2019-4-23
Use props
SlowSL
lvl.2
United States

A J Posted at 4-23 08:13
Why do you need a 3000' range if you're using the drone to just pull down tree branches in front of you to release birds?

I never said that was the only reason I have one, but a bonus feature I will certainly use.     My others can go 2000 feet on a poor quality analog signal, It'd be nice for me to have the spark well connected at or beyond 3000 ft.  
2019-4-23
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SlowSL Posted at 4-23 11:29
I never said that was the only reason I have one, but a bonus feature I will certainly use.     My others can go 2000 feet on a poor quality analog signal, It'd be nice for me to have the spark well connected at or beyond 3000 ft.

Shouldn't be a problem in an FCC area. I've seen people on on here reach 10K' with a Spark
2019-4-23
Use props
SlowSL
lvl.2
United States

A J Posted at 4-23 12:00
Shouldn't be a problem in an FCC area. I've seen people on on here reach 10K' with a Spark

Maybe the treeline was blocking the signal?  I thought I was up high enough, maybe not, guess time will tell.   
2019-4-24
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SlowSL Posted at 4-24 07:35
Maybe the treeline was blocking the signal?  I thought I was up high enough, maybe not, guess time will tell.

Possibly - obstructions in the LOS are generally the main cause.
2019-4-24
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

SlowSL Posted at 4-22 05:24
You are right,  the plug on the RC is a rectangle, and can easily be plugged in backwards if you don't look closely.  Prongs are only exposed on one side of the cable, and one side of the RC input.  I hope there is a good reason they decided to make it this way.  Glad you mentioned this, I would have tried jamming it in there without even knowing.

You can always destroy a micro A/B port, by plugging a micro B in, upside down.

The reason for making it an micro A in the RC, and not a micro B is that it is easier to have the direction of the connection right . An original cable has a micro A on the RC side.
And the Micro A looks different, than the Micro B

And since I use also USB C devices, it gets easy with recognizing ;-)

2019-4-24
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

SlowSL Posted at 4-24 07:35

If you can see the bird over the trees, think about that your RC mostly "looks" from half a meter deeper into that direction
2019-4-24
Use props
SlowSL
lvl.2
United States

Managed 3,400 ft. (1,036 meters) yesterday.  Had some strange issue 1st flight where a few minutes into flight I noticed there were no telemetry readings, they all showed 0.  Powered down, reconnected, and went out 3,400 ft. before disconnect.  This was in a field, no houses anywhere nearby, no trees.   Cached video never recorded, file is 0kb, however the flight record shows correctly.  Something strange happens every time I fly this thing.
2019-4-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules