Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Help, Variable ND filter availability?
4156 35 2019-4-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Arc Light
Second Officer
Canada

Hello All, Has anyone found a source for a variable ND filter for the Osmo Pocket?  I know there available for the Osmo and Osmo Plus but have not come across anyone manufacturing one for the Osmo Pocket.

For those unfamiliar with a variable ND filter, it's basically two Polarizing filters in the same mount.  When the two polarizing filters are turned in orientation to each other it acts like a variable ND filter.

Seems like a great tool for quick light level adjustments for the Osmo Pocket when shooting outdoors.
2019-4-18
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, good day Arc Light. Thanks for raising this concern to us. Unfortunately, the variable ND filters are not available in our store. I hope you could get the best recommendations and information with regards to these filters from our DJI Osmo Pocket owners. Thank you for continued support.
2019-4-18
Use props
BeterBan
Second Officer
Austria

Variable filters in such small size make no sense.
2019-4-18
Use props
Arc Light
Second Officer
Canada

In what way does a filter that allows you to keep a consistent ISO, shutter speed, and frame rate while being able to make tiny adjustments to the amount of light hitting the sensor very quickly not make sense? In a professional shooting enviroment when time is a major factor it makes complete sense.
2019-4-18
Use props
DJI-Osmo-User-1
Captain
United Kingdom

Try adjusting a tiny variable nd on a gimbal in a “pro” environment without getting your fingers in the way (specifically on the Osmo Pocket) and you will understand why it makes zero sense. Control the light as best as possible with fixed nds.
Keeping constant iso shutter speed has nothing to do with nd, a fixed shutter speed and variable iso with a fixed nd is the way to do it on the Osmo Pocket.
2019-4-18
Use props
Arc Light
Second Officer
Canada

Well I'm in my 30th year as a freelance cinematographer, and with all the various pro experience I have, I'll take a variable ND over tiny magnetic ND filters in a tiny metal case any day!
2019-4-18
Use props
DJI-Osmo-User-1
Captain
United Kingdom

I assure you I have more time behind the camera, now while I obviously agree with you on a larger camera system, with the Osmo Pocket the tiny fixed nd filter are still going to be a tiny Vario nd and serve no benefit. I am sure someone will develop a Vario nd for the Osmo Pocket it would be near useless to adjust on the fly as your fingers would be in the way. I have the full set of polar pro filters and the ones with a built in polariser are impossible to adjust without bumping the Osmo Pocket around and getting shots of your fingers.
2019-4-18
Use props
Tide
Captain
South Korea

If the VND is available for OP, I will definatly give it a try.
It can greatly reduce the down time to change ND between sunny and shadow areas.

Since there is a CPL for OP, I think it is possible to make VND as well by adding one more glass under it.
However the light quality and vignetting is to be concerned.
2019-4-18
Use props
fansfe82067d
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

The problem might be weight of two glass panels being too much for the gimbal specs.  As for problems in operation, I don't see it.  Adjust filter, take shot.  No different from the PL rotating filters already available.
2019-4-18
Use props
Arc Light
Second Officer
Canada

DJI-Osmo-User-1 Posted at 4-18 16:43
I assure you I have more time behind the camera, now while I obviously agree with you on a larger camera system, with the Osmo Pocket the tiny fixed nd filter are still going to be a tiny Vario nd and serve no benefit. I am sure someone will develop a Vario nd for the Osmo Pocket it would be near useless to adjust on the fly as your fingers would be in the way. I have the full set of polar pro filters and the ones with a built in polariser are impossible to adjust without bumping the Osmo Pocket around and getting shots of your fingers.

Clearly you are confused.  I am not talking about adjusting the variable ND filter while shooting. It would be used to set the amount of light hitting the sensor and then left alone for the shot. If I walked into shadows for another shot, I could quickly readjust for proper exposure For the different lightning senario.
2019-4-18
Use props
DJI-Osmo-User-1
Captain
United Kingdom

Case closed, your a noob
Sorry but I am not confused at all, you basically lost it when you stated that in your pro use the nd helps iso, shutter and FRAMWRATE
2019-4-18
Use props
Arc Light
Second Officer
Canada

DJI-Osmo-User-1 Posted at 4-18 23:06
Case closed, your a noob
Sorry but I am not confused at all, you basically lost it when you stated that in your pro use the nd helps iso, shutter and FRAMWRATE

DJI-Osmo-User-1 I didn't say it helps ISO, shutter and Frame rate, I said it allows you to keep a consistent ISO, shutter, and frame rate. Your solution of changing the ISO is something I do not wish to do. Also your assumption of me using it to adjust on the fly is foolish, why would anyone attempt to try that, of course you would bump the gimbal and shoot your fingers!

Please also reread my original question at the top of this thread, no where did I ask for anyone's personal opinions on whether a Variable ND filter is a useful tool for the Osmo Pocket or not. So keep that to yourself.

I am interested in whether anyone is aware of a manufacturer current marketing or developing a variable ND filter for the Osmo Pocket.  Please keep any other personal comments to yourself.
2019-4-18
Use props
DJI-Osmo-User-1
Captain
United Kingdom

Arc Light Posted at 4-18 23:26
DJI-Osmo-User-1 I didn't say it helps ISO, shutter and Frame rate, I said it allows you to keep a consistent ISO, shutter, and frame rate. Your solution of changing the ISO is something I do not wish to do. Also your assumption of me using it to adjust on the fly is foolish, why would anyone attempt to try that, of course you would bump the gimbal and shoot your fingers!

Please also reread my original question at the top of this thread, no where did I ask for anyone's personal opinions on whether a Variable ND filter is a useful tool for the Osmo Pocket or not. So keep that to yourself.

Eh you did,
“In what way does a filter that allows you to keep a consistent ISO, shutter speed, and frame rate while being able to make tiny adjustments to the amount of light hitting the sensor very quickly not make sense? “
Anyhow moving forward with a fresh start, I personally think it would be pointless UNLESS the adjustment ring on said Vario ND was made larger in order to adjust, whilst I enjoy the Osmo Pocket for what it is, the filter design is so far lacking. In principle what you are saying is mostly correct, but on the Osmo Pocket just not practical.

If the Osmo Pocket had a Minimum and Maximum setting for ISO with fixed shutter then the variable ISO is the solution that most dedicated video centric cameras use would suit the best. That’s what is used on the RED camera, and Blackmagic cinema cameras and also the Panasonic GH5. I have used these configurations for years and they are tried and tested by many.

So while you are correct in what you would like to achieve the Osmo Pocket is the limiting factor.

2019-4-19
Use props
Arc Light
Second Officer
Canada

DJI-Osmo-User-1 Posted at 4-19 00:39
Eh you did,
“In what way does a filter that allows you to keep a consistent ISO, shutter speed, and frame rate while being able to make tiny adjustments to the amount of light hitting the sensor very quickly not make sense? “
Anyhow moving forward with a fresh start, I personally think it would be pointless UNLESS the adjustment ring on said Vario ND was made larger in order to adjust, whilst I enjoy the Osmo Pocket for what it is, the filter design is so far lacking. In principle what you are saying is mostly correct, but on the Osmo Pocket just not practical.

The limiting factor with the Osmo Pocket is the fixed F2.0 lens.  When shooting with Red, Blackmagic Cinema, or Arri Alexa Cameras, you have Iris control, are you saying you would add more noise to the picture on those cameras before adjusting your F-stop?  Adding a variable ND filter to the Osmo Pocket would add the ability to adjust the amount of light that is hitting the sensor much in the same way your Iris would. Yes it's a cheat and there are added concerns ie: adding the extra weight to the gimbal or the possibility of vignetting or chromatic aberrations as a result of the added glass and the tiny Osmo Pocket lens. But I think it makes more sense than fluctuating noise levels in your pictures when not shooting on a fixed ISO.
2019-4-19
Use props
DJDream
lvl.4
Israel

From what I know from the photography field, and please correct me if I am wrong, the VARIABLE ND filters are optically much worse than any FIXED ND filter.
This is the reason that in the photography field (and it looks like that in the video field as well) there is not so many VARIABLE ND filters compared to the NON VARIABLE/FIXED ND filters.
2019-4-19
Use props
Arc Light
Second Officer
Canada

DJDream Posted at 4-19 06:44
From what I know from the photography field, and please correct me if I am wrong, the VARIABLE ND filters are optically much worse than any FIXED ND filter.
This is the reason that in the photography field (and it looks like that in the video field as well) there is not so many VARIABLE ND filters compared to the NON VARIABLE/FIXED ND filters.

I completely agree, stacked polarizing filters will not be optically as clean as a single ND filter, and that would definitely be a draw back of using one, as stated in my concerns above.  It's a cheat to getting around a fluctuating ISO.  One would have to do testing on optical quality versus increased ISO noise to determine what's best.  If the comparisons are even then the benefit of speed might be worth the stacked glass.
2019-4-19
Use props
DJI-Osmo-User-1
Captain
United Kingdom

Arc Light Posted at 4-19 05:53
The limiting factor with the Osmo Pocket is the fixed F2.0 lens.  When shooting with Red, Blackmagic Cinema, or Arri Alexa Cameras, you have Iris control, are you saying you would add more noise to the picture on those cameras before adjusting your F-stop?  Adding a variable ND filter to the Osmo Pocket would add the ability to adjust the amount of light that is hitting the sensor much in the same way your Iris would. Yes it's a cheat and there are added concerns ie: adding the extra weight to the gimbal or the possibility of vignetting or chromatic aberrations as a result of the added glass and the tiny Osmo Pocket lens. But I think it makes more sense than fluctuating noise levels in your pictures when not shooting on a fixed ISO.

If you actually shot one of those cameras you would understand they are noise free, for the most part  up to iso3200, the base iso is 1600 on some.

Your trying to get into an argument about absolutely different systems, we are not talking about maxing out the Osmo Pocket iso to control light here, just adding a variable amount of sensitivity.
2019-4-19
Use props
Arc Light
Second Officer
Canada

DJI-Osmo-User-1 Posted at 4-19 08:10
If you actually shot one of those cameras you would understand they are noise free, for the most part  up to iso3200, the base iso is 1600 on some.

Your trying to get into an argument about absolutely different systems, we are not talking about maxing out the Osmo Pocket iso to control light here, just adding a variable amount of sensitivity.

Dji-Osmo-User-1, You have made assumptions on how I was planning on using the Variable ND filter on the Osmo Pocket, You have made assumptions on my experience level and have insulted me by calling me a noob, and you have been the one to start the argument in this thread when your opinion was never asked for in the first place.

You are trolling this thread and I am done communicating with you!
2019-4-19
Use props
BeterBan
Second Officer
Austria

There also is the problem with varND "X". With a varND you can reach - depending on APERTURE -
times from some seconds to some 1/5000 seconds. Expensive filter (haha) are blocking this
X-area, so you cannot rotate 360°. For OP such filters are NONSENS!

2019-4-19
Use props
DJI-Osmo-User-1
Captain
United Kingdom

Arc Light Posted at 4-19 08:38
Dji-Osmo-User-1, You have made assumptions on how I was planning on using the Variable ND filter on the Osmo Pocket, You have made assumptions on my experience level and have insulted me by calling me a noob, and you have been the one to start the argument in this thread when your opinion was never asked for in the first place.

You are trolling this thread and I am done communicating with you!

No true in the slightest, I just won’t  listen to  lies and “pro” users spreading misinformation about a product that does not yet exist and for a good reason.
2019-4-19
Use props
BeterBan
Second Officer
Austria

I think varND filters are existing only in fairy tale brains of people without physical knowledge.
2019-4-19
Use props
El Diabolico
First Officer

Germany

DJDream Posted at 4-19 06:44

Variable ND filters are basically 2 polarized filters rotating in opposite directions. the main issue is they can easily introduce a dark X pattern in the sky, specially on wide angle lenses.

Regarding the OP, the weight of a VR ND and passing the gimbal initiation test would be a problem.
2019-4-23
Use props
El Diabolico
First Officer

Germany

BeterBan Posted at 4-19 12:02
I think varND filters are existing only in fairy tale brains of people without physical knowledge.

And I think you have no clue about photography at all... maxing at 3 to 6 stops (knowing what you'r doing) will generaly minimize any chance for X patterns and specially GOOD / EXPENSIVE VR ND filters. If you need more strengths you can stack depending on the filter size and the lens utilized.
Of course, your 2$ cheap crap doesn't belong into this categorie nor shooting at max strength.

2019-4-23
Use props
BeterBan
Second Officer
Austria

har, har, did you buy B+W varND filters for € 199.99?   
Price of my 62mm varND filter was € 9.80 - it works well!
2019-4-23
Use props
El Diabolico
First Officer

Germany

BeterBan Posted at 4-23 07:06
[view_image]  har, har, did you buy B+W varND filters for € 199.99?   [view_image]
Price of my 62mm varND filter was € 9.80 - it works well!

I am sure a 10€ filter will have the exact same properties as a 200€ one...

You have to understand that some of us have much higher standards than you regarding image quality and probably much deeper pockets. FYI, I have 500€ CPL filters for specific applications so  no compromises here...
2019-4-24
Use props
TheCameraGuy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

I’d really love one of these. I do hope someone makes one.
2019-4-28
Use props
BeterBan
Second Officer
Austria

El Diabolico: "You have to understand that some of us have much higher standards
than you regarding image quality and probably much deeper pockets.
FYI, I have 500€ CPL filters   for specific applications so  no compromises here..."

Ouuuhhhh ... your are professional photographer and earn 2 millions / month  

Okay, your 500€ CPL filters are really 5.00% better than mine ....
2019-4-28
Use props
theprisoner6666
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Here ya go. I just bought one and will test it out soon.

http://trippro.com.hk/en/product ... -Pocket-ND2%252d400減光鏡.html
2019-5-2
Use props
Arc Light
Second Officer
Canada

theprisoner6666 Posted at 5-2 22:25
Here ya go. I just bought one and will test it out soon.

http://trippro.com.hk/en/products/Kase-ND2%252d400-ND-filter-for-Osmo-Pocket-ND2%252d400減光鏡.html

Many thanks, your initial link didn't appear to work but I found it here:

http://trippro.com.hk/en/product ... 85%89%E9%8F%A1.html

Fantastic, I knew it would only be a matter of time!
2019-5-2
Use props
theprisoner6666
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Yeah, the link seems to break whenever I post it. I think it's the Chinese text at the end that does it. Anyway, I live in Hong Kong and use these guys all the time. They've always been excellent. I just hope the filter works as promised. I've read other reviews about Kase filters and they've mainly been positive.
P.S.

Arc Light, after reading this thread I totally agree with your stance on the matter. VND filters have plenty of practical use for your average Pocket user. It's pointless discussing 'pro environment' issues when you're only using a Pocket anyway. Your average user simply wants to set and forget the exposure settings at the 180 rule and ISO 100.  Auto ISO is useless because you're gonna have changing exposure levels throughout a shot. Manually adjusting the ISO because of the ND filter is also a nightmare because anything over ISO 200 is a waste of time on the Pocket. So the best option is VND because who wants to be swapping filters on and off when filming their kids playing at the beach or something? Simply twist the filter to achieve EV 0, and job done. The quality may be slightly lower than a fixed ND, plus there's the issue of the "X" pattern, but this isn't as important as ease of use, so it's very appealing to many Pocket users, including myself. You may have to quicken the shutter speed slightly to avoid the "X" pattern at times, but in that extreme case, just bang on an ND64 for one or two shots. This is still better than constantly swapping out filters. Besides, let's save judgement until we see some test results, the quality could be very good.
2019-5-3
Use props
KerryG
First Officer
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Kase Variable ND for Osmo Pocket showing horrible polarization issues. This occurs throughout the entire range. This is a "do not buy" recommendation.

2019-5-3
Use props
theprisoner6666
lvl.4
Hong Kong

KerryG Posted at 5-3 12:08
Kase Variable ND for Osmo Pocket showing horrible polarization issues. This occurs throughout the entire range. This is a "do not buy" recommendation.

[view_image]

The first image is kinda typical of cheap polarisers, but the 2nd is admittedly pretty bad. Luckily, we don't get many blue skies like that in Hong Kong! I guess if you lived in some American states such as New Mexico or Arizona then the skies would cause a bigger problem. Anyway, for the price, I thought it was worth the punt. Even if I just use the VND for indoor stuff at my school it will be worth it.

Thanks for the images and review though.
2019-5-3
Use props
DJI-Osmo-User-1
Captain
United Kingdom

Exactly why on THIS camera it’s a pointless venture, anyone that buys such a filter will also enjoy a scratched up lens, fingers visible in all adjustments while recording and a nice big X pattern.
Dare I say “I told you so......”
2019-5-4
Use props
theprisoner6666
lvl.4
Hong Kong

DJI-Osmo-User-1 Posted at 5-4 05:36
Exactly why on THIS camera it’s a pointless venture, anyone that buys such a filter will also enjoy a scratched up lens, fingers visible in all adjustments while recording and a nice big X pattern.
Dare I say “I told you so......”
1. Never had an issue with a scratched lens from using CPL filters on my Pocket. Not sure what people are doing to get this issue.

2. How often do you adjust the filter while recording? Seems a moot point.

3. The "X" issue happens with VND filters in all sizes. It happens with my 72mm VND filter if I adjust it to the max. The size of the filter has nothing to do with the "X" pattern. Besides, this is an issue with polarisation, so for $25, it could still be a useful tool to have in your bag for indoor work or outdoor environments where the polarising effect isn't as noticable (cloudy days, urbanised scenes, etc.).
2019-5-5
Use props
Tarsicio Sañudo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 856890 ft
Mexico

BeterBan Posted at 4-18 13:41
Variable filters in such small size make no sense.

Yes they make sense there is a new one from Kase i test it and is very good.
2019-5-27
Use props
Tide
Captain
South Korea

Thanks to the theprisoner6666.
I got the Kase variable ND filter and made a test video.

2019-5-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules