Propeller life span question...
3102 7 2019-4-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

Is there an ideal life span for the propellers? Of course by that I mean without any crashes etc... Do you guys change them just because they are old?

The reason I am asking is that recently I have noticed my propellers are not perfectly symmetrical anymore. I have never had a crash and propellers never hit anything, apart from bugs (mostly bees), yet they don't look same as a brand new set. So I am curious if they are subject to wear and tear...

Thanks in advance for any replies,

cheers,
2019-4-18
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Anything on the props that would alter the flow of air when inspected. Nicks, bends, chips or any kind of damage really. If you see any damage at all then change them. Small surface scratches are OK. They can get damaged just taking them out of the case or however you store it when not flying. Just give them a check before flying. Run your fingers lightly over the top, bottom, length and you will feel any damage.
2019-4-18
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CoreyB10 Posted at 4-18 22:22
Anything on the props that would alter the flow of air when inspected. Nicks, bends, chips or any kind of damage really. If you see any damage at all then change them. Small surface scratches are OK. They can get damaged just taking them out of the case or however you store it when not flying. Just give them a check before flying. Run your fingers lightly over the top, bottom, length and you will feel any damage.

Great advice
2019-4-18
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi CemAygun, thanks for reaching out. If the propeller is scratched, bent, or damaged, replace it immediately. It is recommended to replace them at least every three months. Should you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us. Thanks for your continued support.
2019-4-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi CemAygun, thanks for reaching out. If the propeller is scratched, bent, or damaged, replace it immediately. It is recommended to replace them at least every three months. Should you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us. Thanks for your continued support.
2019-4-19
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

Thanks a lot for all the replies. I did not know there was so much strain on them even through regular use. I have been flying with the same set almost a year (well, I don't fly very often, but still). I already changed to the spare set and ordered a new pack for the future...  
2019-4-19
Use props
Bluehook
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790814 ft
United States

CemAygun -   @cemaygun >

I have had the same props on my bird since day one - over a year now.  I inspect them often looking for an excuse to use another one of the several sets I have on hand.  

But, still they look brand new, just like the did on the very first day.  Perfect edges, not a scratch, ding or chip anywhere.  Not even any surface marks -- nothing.

Subscribing to the old adage, "If it ain't broken..." AND an overwhelming feeling that I'm messing with the universe if I change them for no reason, I leave them be.

2019-4-20
Use props
cutis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

You would need a highspeed rotational dynamic balance indicator done for each prop. Any deficiency discrepancy out from perfect is grounds to dispose it.
I am surprised such quantifiable decisional test rig isnt 3rd party aftermarketed.
Simply, the axial strain gauge would tell you achieved thrust at rpm, thus a plot over rpm can be compared to spec.
Clearly defect will not be able to provide the amount of spec thrust at given rpm.
So test rig proofs twofold: rotational balance ok and thrust ok over rpm ranged.
2019-4-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules