Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
I've been resisting saying this but...
12Next >
3667 49 2019-4-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Twistedlarch
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3948947 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Mavic Air is a pile of trash!   

I'm on my second one and now it looks like DJI has messed this one up with it's recent update.  

Mavic Air #1  flew great for the first few weeks then started haveing signal issues.  Constantly getting interference, weak signal at about a 1/2 mile, and disconnects for no reason.  My Spark will fly to the same area and 2x the distance without an issue.  It also developed issues with the batteries.  It would get about 1,500 ft away then it would give me low battery warnings but show a fully charged battery, I have 6 batteries and it did this on all of them.  Needless to say, I returned it to Costco.

Mavic Air #2 Worked great!  Now my camera signal keeps disconnecting and a Firmware update that keeps failing.

DJI, I'm about fed up with this pile of junk!!
2019-4-19
Use props
cutis
Captain
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

Your tone hurts.
Ouch.
Maybe explain sequence?
2019-4-19
Use props
Twistedlarch
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

cutis Posted at 4-19 18:50
Your tone hurts.
Ouch.
Maybe explain sequence?

My tone is frustration.

I think I explained the issues.

If I pay $800 for something I expect it to function properly.  Like my Spark, Almost a year old and has been flawless!  That what I expect out of a drone that's 2x the price.
2019-4-19
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Twistedlarch Posted at 4-19 19:29
My tone is frustration.

Have felt your pain!
If it makes you feel any better (may not), I am on my third Mavic Pro Platinum, third R.C., and fourth CrystalSky Ultrabrite.  Wasted months because first drone was senstive to firmware updates.

A heads up warning...
Making it worse was a forum member who continued to Trash and Troll me about problems.  Even going so far as to 'Call Me Out', claiming I was lying about problems.  Even after providing evidence showing multiple MPp, RC, & Cs-Ub repairs/replacements, that member continued.
2019-4-19
Use props
Mr. Motta
Second Officer
Flight distance : 221906 ft
United States

My tone is frustration.

Cutis is a useless POS. Dont let her bother you!
2019-4-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think Cutis was saying if you post your set up ie phone you use band width you use etc, that others here on the forum will do there best to try help, there are many here only willing to give you the help where they can through their experience.
I see you have already attracted others who will try everything to take your thread of topic, they have been warned about this.
But I have to say on the whole most members are interested in helping, not distracting .
2019-4-20
Use props
djiuser_iCby8PEY0bYZ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26175 ft

United States

I understand your frustration. Keep in mind: Designed to go far away, 1/2 mile is further than line of sight. This is an amazing amount of technology flying in the air. A lot goes into your result. "phone you use band width you use etc, that others here on the forum will do there best to try help"
2019-4-20
Use props
cutis
Captain
United States

The sophistication is such we as ENDUSER are in a subservant position accepting support services from the maker itself.
Its no different than sophisticated cars and computer diagnostic support dedicated to dealer alone.
Not all claimants experienced the recent trend of close radius signal lost. As earlier stated, i experienced that nightmare after flashing and upgrading the march2019 apk djigo4 ver14, the aircraft fw560 battery algorithms. It did not go away. Replacements have prior fw, 300craft, 200rc, but the five bats are embedded with fw craft560. I dont know whether to do all five bats in the craft's existent fw300,  also a battery fw applicability. Have not received incompatibilities warnings. Technically bats are at higher fw than aircraft, about a year apart. Ive flown the replacements underground successfully none gps. So next is testing range of radius pairing, to really show pairing is ok even at close radius. If successful, it may mean prior device(s) did in fact get garble
2019-4-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

cutis Posted at 4-20 11:50
The sophistication is such we as ENDUSER are in a subservant position accepting support services from the maker itself.
Its no different than sophisticated cars and computer diagnostic support dedicated to dealer alone.
Not all claimants experienced the recent trend of close radius signal lost. As earlier stated, i experienced that nightmare after flashing and upgrading the march2019 apk djigo4 ver14, the aircraft fw560 battery algorithms. It did not go away. Replacements have prior fw, 300craft, 200rc, but the five bats are embedded with fw craft560. I dont know whether to do all five bats in the craft's existent fw300,  also a battery fw applicability. Have not received incompatibilities warnings. Technically bats are at higher fw than aircraft, about a year apart. Ive flown the replacements underground successfully none gps. So next is testing range of radius pairing, to really show pairing is ok even at close radius. If successful, it may mean prior device(s) did in fact get garble

You hit on one of problems with products like DJI's.  We are hamstrung due to:
1) Support services are a matter of shipping DJI drones off to service centers.
2) DJI does not provide owners with tests, let alone diagnostics.
3) POST (power on self test) of DJI drones are basic at best.
4) DJI has taken steps to protect their software / firmware.
5) Based on DJI often suggesting reflashing of their firmware, updater evidently is not verifying firmware was succesfully / correctly installed.

For some of us, the sophistication is a non issue.  Having cut our teeth on hardware that: a) public might get their hands on a decade later, b) never becomes public due to advanced niche nature of tech, or c) public will never hear about or see because it is classified.

2019-4-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

My tone is frustration.

If you want some help, please do ask.
If you want to vent, so be it.
If you want to make other's aware that not everything is Rosey, ... continue.
2019-4-20
Use props
QQRUCH
Captain
Flight distance : 595518 ft
Spain

I do not have any of those problems. Latest firmware. iPhone Xr.
2019-4-21
Use props
cutis
Captain
United States

Hedge is upholding proprietary intellectual privileges entitled to the founder. Yes its all about perpetuating the forefront of entity leagues ahead of competes.
He segregates endusers by resolve capacity.
It is true those endusers with acumen will find resolve. But unfortunately, due to the sophistication most endusers resort to entity's service and likely satisfied.
A better perspective is mavic air is a crossbreed of familiarities prior model quads with improve.
And we all know the new kid on the block gets drilled.
2019-4-21
Use props
cutis
Captain
United States

Say, this is off topic, is platinum compatible with smart controller? If so, is it more economical getting bundled or just use your cellphone contingent on its horsepower?
2019-4-21
Use props
cutis
Captain
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 4-20 20:16
You hit on one of problems with products like DJI's.  We are hamstrung due to:
1) Support services are a matter of shipping DJI drones off to service centers.
2) DJI does not provide owners with tests, let alone diagnostics.

Wait a sec, are you saying some endusers are being surreptitiously guinea pig'd prototyping beta improves and or implements ?
I've seen entity's calling for eval by endusers qualified.
Is that whats meant "...cut our teeth..."
2019-4-21
Use props
3BEPb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 165928 ft
  • >>>
United States

My Mavic Air works fine with dji go and litchi. Maybe you over flushed it ? Maybe stop screwing with its internals. It’s not meant to fly 4 miles away.
2019-4-21
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

cutis Posted at 4-21 12:26
Wait a sec, are you saying some endusers are being surreptitiously guinea pig'd prototyping beta improves and or implements ?
I've seen entity's calling for eval by endusers qualified.
Is that whats meant "...cut our teeth..."

No.  
Cutting our Teeth was a reference to learning by experience when a person first gets started in their career.  
For me, it was learning that digital signals, which we were taught would look similar to changing square wave (rise, plateau, fall, plateau - of verying lengths), looked like analogue noise.  Timing is everything.  

2019-4-21
Use props
cutis
Captain
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 4-21 14:18
No.  
Cutting our Teeth was a reference to learning by experience when a person first gets started in their career.  
For me, it was learning that digital signals, which we were taught would look similar to changing square wave (rise, plateau, fall, plateau - of verying lengths), looked like analogue noise.  Timing is everything.

It not broadcasted square steppings, would drain energy superfast (square punches big energies). Entity got ingenious encode decode schemas to pack plenty information in least hardship transportable packets, right? Tons of info being shuffled amongst all three devices excludes china side. Their schema is optimized for reliable link preserve and no misinterprets. Plus conserve energy, maybe temper broadcast strength if craft closer conserving broadcasting battery consumption? Just like vacuumtube class a single ended amp, the sinusoidal portray on close inspect has harmonic ripples clinging to the theme wave. Well that in itself can be construed as an independent signal and utilized to fulfill another control function? Who knows how many ripples are riding on their preciously secretive articulated wifi for mavic air and occusync for big bro
2019-4-21
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

cutis Posted at 4-21 16:45
It not broadcasted square steppings, would drain energy superfast (square punches big energies). Entity got ingenious encode decode schemas to pack plenty information in least hardship transportable packets, right? Tons of info being shuffled amongst all three devices excludes china side. Their schema is optimized for reliable link preserve and no misinterprets. Plus conserve energy, maybe temper broadcast strength if craft closer conserving broadcasting battery consumption? Just like vacuumtube class a single ended amp, the sinusoidal portray on close inspect has harmonic ripples clinging to the theme wave. Well that in itself can be construed as an independent signal and utilized to fulfill another control function? Who knows how many ripples are riding on their preciously secretive articulated wifi for mavic air and occusync for big bro

Digital signals looking like analog noise, was way before Mavics and WiFi.
2019-4-21
Use props
ChrisJG
Captain
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I purchased a refurbished Mavic Air Fly more combo here in the UK. Apart from Compass errors at 175 feet up on one of the first flights, I've had no issues. DJI Admins on this Forum  suggested I recalibrate the IMU and Compass, since then no problems. I'm using the latest Firmware. Think it a big improvement on my Spark in terms of flight time, and image quality. Sorry that you are experiencing problems - I struggle to keep mine in sight at 500 metres, at half a mile I'd be flying illegally here in the UK; it would be too far away for me to see it.
2019-4-22
Use props
AnzacJack
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3501650 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Are you, Twistedlarch, saying you are flying your spark out to a mile? That’s impressive
2019-4-22
Use props
cutis
Captain
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 4-21 19:30
Digital signals looking like analog noise, was way before Mavics and WiFi.

Yup, all kinds of encode decode patents have made creators filthy rich. Digital waveforms are two position: go and nogo so two datum level, high and low. Here in communications, they resort to transforming raw info into broadcastable waveform. That transformation schema is GOLD. the raw is manipulated by equation compute yielding broadcastable signal delivered to transmitter to boost into aerial antenna. Its just incredible how waveform broadcasted hosts unimaginable hoards of raw data. I wonder how this standard 2.4 and 5.8 ever got founded. Its a no brainer its not good enough, why, the cellphone users in congest metro complain latency and dropped, just like us signal lost
2019-4-22
Use props
Twistedlarch
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

QQRUCH Posted at 4-21 04:08
I do not have any of those problems. Latest firmware. iPhone Xr.

Seems to be doing fine again.  My 1st Air had issues no matter what device I operated it on, be it iPad mini 3 or Samsung Galaxy S9
2019-4-24
Use props
Twistedlarch
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

3BEPb Posted at 4-21 12:37
My Mavic Air works fine with dji go and litchi. Maybe you over flushed it ? Maybe stop screwing with its internals. It’s not meant to fly 4 miles away.

I use DJI Go exclusively, do all updates like I'm supposed too, I don't mess with any of the settings or "internals", and I never said I've flown it 4 miles.

2019-4-24
Use props
Twistedlarch
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AnzacJack Posted at 4-22 02:04
Are you, Twistedlarch, saying you are flying your spark out to a mile? That’s impressive

I've had my Spark out to about 5,400 ft (200' over a mille).

I also I live in a mountainous low populated area and have a clear 2-3 mile view @ 180° from my house.
2019-4-24
Use props
Twistedlarch
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Update

My Air seems to be running fine again, seems to have self fixed it self.
I apoligize for my rant/venting, I was extremely frustrated due to the fact that I missed out on great video opertuntiy due to sudden issues with my Air.

Brian
2019-4-24
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Update through DJI Assistance 2 for Mavic
2019-4-24
Use props
FatherXmas
Captain
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

cutis Posted at 4-21 16:45
It not broadcasted square steppings, would drain energy superfast (square punches big energies). Entity got ingenious encode decode schemas to pack plenty information in least hardship transportable packets, right? Tons of info being shuffled amongst all three devices excludes china side. Their schema is optimized for reliable link preserve and no misinterprets. Plus conserve energy, maybe temper broadcast strength if craft closer conserving broadcasting battery consumption? Just like vacuumtube class a single ended amp, the sinusoidal portray on close inspect has harmonic ripples clinging to the theme wave. Well that in itself can be construed as an independent signal and utilized to fulfill another control function? Who knows how many ripples are riding on their preciously secretive articulated wifi for mavic air and occusync for big bro

Is it me or is cutis hard to understand? Possibly doesn't speak English very well and tries to use big words to impress? I don't mean this as a personal attack, just having a difficult time understanding.
2019-4-24
Use props
cutis
Captain
United States

I am at bay how mavic air just "fixed itself"?
2019-4-25
Use props
cutis
Captain
United States

FatherXmas Posted at 4-24 19:03
Is it me or is cutis hard to understand? Possibly doesn't speak English very well and tries to use big words to impress? I don't mean this as a personal attack, just having a difficult time understanding.

it merely explains that intense interference has become a very big taxation onto mavic air perform. this has forced greater loading onto device transmissions and receptions (transceptions). interference is counterproductive
2019-4-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Twistedlarch Posted at 4-24 16:05
Update

Self fixed, not a good sign.  Really hope you do not have any more probems.  

My decades of experience with electronics, a self-healer (self fixed it self) is an intermittent problem with as of yet unknown trigger.  Whether it be change in clock speed, voltages, temperature, usage (lack of usage), load, vibration, etc.

2019-4-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Twistedlarch Posted at 4-24 16:05
Update

Thanks for your honesty, you’ll find many quick to jump on the bandwagon, rather than try to help, frustration itself can cloud what we are trying to do and sometimes just stepping back from the frustration we can figure things out with a clearer mind.

I’m simply amazed sometimes Users some are quite happy for others to have problems, but such is life .
2019-4-25
Use props
3BEPb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 165928 ft
  • >>>
United States

This DJi yard dog is running around doing damage repair for his handlers. Its past midnight in his parts of the world but he is trying hard to bark at anyone with truth. Its funny to see him sweating trying to hide what is in plain view.
If you need more info on what a  screwed up situation was this last mavic air update read on website independent from  DJI.
https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... 620-released.63125/
2019-4-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 4-25 14:43
Thanks for your honesty, you’ll find many quick to jump on the bandwagon, rather than try to help, frustration itself can cloud what we are trying to do and sometimes just stepping back from the frustration we can figure things out with a clearer mind.

I’m simply amazed sometimes Users some are quite happy for others to have problems, but such is life .

Who here is showing happiness at OP having problems?  

2019-4-25
Use props
cutis
Captain
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 4-25 17:38

Who here is showing happiness at OP having problems?

folks, this flying business no doubt is incessant upon most of us. hit by hurdles, forbearance to result fix can be short fused, BECAUSE of incessant wanton flying desires.
while my devices were sent servicing, i actually had to purchase the sharper image drone! but appease it did. walmart refunded when devices arrived.
so emphasis is two: forbearance to result fix, and, incessant yearning to fly while unfixed awaiting resultful fix.
2019-4-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

While some may not understand , it’s common courtesy to wish someone well when something goes right for them. But some prefer to tell them it’s only the start of their next problem, some people spend their time here productively others Choose to create hysteria and get off on others problems.
So if the cap fits wear it .
2019-4-26
Use props
Bill B
First Officer
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

FatherXmas Posted at 4-24 19:03

He's a dope, Tossing out his word salads like a shakespeare  wannabe. Ignore the twit.
2019-4-26
Use props
Neo Supreme
First Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

OP, I get it.  Your cheaper, 'less advanced' UAS, has proven to be more reliable than your more expensive, 'more advanced' UAS.  This should cause frustration, regardless of what type of 'technical' explanations are brought up.  I myself have had sporadic signal issues and drift offs with my Mavic Air at times.  This of course is concerning as a hobbyist.  Now doing legit commercial work (yes, I realize that the Air is not considered a 'professional'/commercial model, though it boasts 4K/1080p resolution), that is a major issue.  Even if you only fly once in a while, the expectation is most certainly not to have your drone fail at the very things it was created to do.....especially when it is operated under optimal conditions.
2019-4-26
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

With my post having said: "Really hope you do not have any more probems." (sic. problems).

Since Cap doesn't even come close to fitting, question is who is supposed to be wearing the Cap?
Ironic for Cap hander to be lecturing others on "common courtesy", after reading recent insults in violation of forum rules.
2019-4-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Spain

I mean does anyone listen to this rhetoric, when someone doesn’t have problems, you only need to be happy for them , not hope , they don’t need that, but the sentiment was clear in the following sentiments, it’s the usual twists and turns. But so be it, main thing is no more problems for whatever reason, all is well and ends well.
2019-4-26
Use props
Twistedlarch
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wow!!   
2019-4-26
Use props
12Next >
Advanced