Is it safe to Whip Pan
1774 5 2019-4-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
xXLXx
lvl.2
Philippines

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone here used the osmo pocket and tried doing a whip pan ? I tried it once and looks really cool but then realized is it technically safe to actually move the gimbal like that by hand ? Well I didn't really smack my osmo pocket, but just pushed the gimbal head to the left a bit. Something like that
on a much smaller scale

Anyways, will that have bad effects to my gimbal over time ?

Thanks

2019-4-20
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

According to the manual, the tilt angle can be manually adjusted.  The pan movement should only be adjusted manually when setting a motion timelapse.
2019-4-20
Use props
xXLXx
lvl.2
Philippines

fansfe82067d Posted at 4-20 14:24
According to the manual, the tilt angle can be manually adjusted.  The pan movement should only be adjusted manually when setting a motion timelapse.

Ahh so therefore, it's not safe to manually adjust the pan while recording? I'm pretty sure with its bigger brothers, it turns out just fine. I'm just concerned with the osmo pocket as it's gimbal head is a lot smaller
2019-4-22
Use props
fnf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 428038 ft
United Kingdom

The Osmo Pocket uses brushless motors (as with almost all camera gimbals). These motors have no consumable parts so I doubt that forcefully turning them for a brief period will do them any harm.

Having said that, it is not a good idea to hold them in place for long as the counterforce exerted by the gimbal (to keep them stabilised) will eventually overheat it and might damage the ESCs. However, I believe that the Pocket is able to detect that condition and will turn off the motor if they are obstructed for too long. I wouldn't hesitate to do it with mine.
2019-4-23
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

Thanks for sharing
2019-4-29
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>