Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
P3A - any point in updating firmware?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jrm11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

I'm flying a P3Advanced.

I never liked the limitations of the DJI GO app, and fly with the Autopilot app most of the time. My flights are almost exclusively in the same general area.

I'm running DJI Go 2.8.3 on an older iPad that I use just for flying. My firmware is whatever version was current at the time of GO 2.8.3. I stopped updating due to the restrictions DJI started including in the software. Recently, I accidentally started up my P3 with my newer iPad that has a current DJI GO version and received warnings about proximity to an airport. This is the reason I avoided the past updates - the software is wrong. The "airports" it sees are farms with cornfields. If they every were airstrips (likely for cropdusters), they were deactivated over 30 years ago. The nearest actual airport was a grass strip about 40 miles away until it closed over five years ago.

With this in mind, does the newer firmware offer any benefits? It doesn't look like any features have been added (and Autopilot is likely still superior for the waypoint missions I prefer to fly). I have no stability problems so can't imagine any outstanding bugs to address. All I seem to gain is an inaccurate list of no-fly zones that may impact my ability to take off.

Is there a compelling to update?

2019-4-21
Use props
Sayhelloforme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

My opinion is : if it’s flying great and you’re not having any problems, don’t update.
2019-4-21
Use props
Rvrrat14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 655932 ft
United States

DJI had a mandatory update or sorts to the Go/Go 4 app due by 3-31-19.   My understanding was it was only for Android devices.   Had to do with map services.

I fly a P3A for an agency.   I use an Ipad 2018.   I keep it up to date.   This includes flight testing after each upgrade.   It’s firmware is running on the latest version, too.   I use another ipad or my iphone as a sandbox device for testing before I upgrade my production ipad.   It appears the Go app is the only regular updates for the P3 now, along with Geo database, etc.
Good luck.
2019-4-22
Use props
Barney Rubbel
lvl.4
United States

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! I'm running on legacy firmware and never update my Go App on my iPad or iPhone, and have had no issues. Even using the latest ios. Just be sure you are not connected to the internet before getting started (I put them in airplane mode), as this will most likely force you to upgrade when you open the app, before it will work.

Happy Flying!

Barney
2019-4-22
Use props
jrm11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

This is what I was thinking. Just wondered if later updates added anything useful or fixed any standing problems. As far as I can tell, all the updates after my version only added restrictions and no fixes or features.

Last time I flew I was connected to the net. I don't recall any attempt to force an update (but I could be mistaken on that). I do use my old iPad for the P3. When that was my primary iPad, it was an annoyance. I had to do all updates manually, just to avoid updating DJI GO. Now, the old iPad has most applications deleted and all updates turned off,
2019-4-23
Use props
Barney Rubbel
lvl.4
United States

jrm11 Posted at 4-23 09:58
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

This is what I was thinking. Just wondered if later updates added anything useful or fixed any standing problems. As far as I can tell, all the updates after my version only added restrictions and no fixes or features.

There IS some functionality that you might get with an upgrade, but if you're happy with it now, you probably don't need those features. Things similar to "Follow Me" (I don't think this was in my release). You'd need to find out what was included in each release (aside from the restrictions, bugs, etc.)

Barney
2019-4-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules