Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
strange battery 'crunching' sound
676 12 2019-4-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiguy001
First Officer

Canada

Hi -

Went flying, went to charge my battery, heard a 'crunching' sound when I plugged it in. Didn't fly near any sand/dirt/etc, so strange. Just purchased this battery a few weeks ago.

After charging, looked close up - and it seems like there are/were some small tiny particles, almost look like tiny clear crystals.

Is there something wrong with the battery? Is it safe to fly? Or.......... what could have caused that? I don't "think" it would be sand/dirt, etc - because don't see it anywhere else. So it was very peculiar to see that. Cleared most of it off, but realized should take a picture, so sending a picture too.

Is the battery leaking? Or...... what woudl that be from?

It looks like tiny black & clear crystal particles.

Thanks.

EDIT: Just realized it appears to be silica gel, from the small silica gel package that was in the case (the package appears to be slightly punctured, and had some tiny 'beads' in the package)... If some got on the battery, will that affect it at all? What is the best way to clean it up? Thanks!

tiny white/black particles

tiny white/black particles
2019-4-22
Use props
Cellblock776
lvl.1
Flight distance : 647454 ft
United States

Canned air.   Spray it out good.
2019-4-22
Use props
djiguy001
First Officer

Canada

Cellblock776 Posted at 4-22 11:21

do you think there is a possibility that any got 'inside' of the battery? Now I am a little paranoid what if they 'expand' in the battery - do I have to buy a whole new set of batteries?
2019-4-22
Use props
djiguy001
First Officer

Canada

Cellblock776 Posted at 4-22 11:21

okay, so I bought the canned air, sprayed it out, wiped it out, etc.

No crunching seems to be occuring now.

Question - (again, just super paranoid about this) - do you think any 'particles' might have gotten "inside" of the battery (3 of them actually) - and if so - that they could "possibly" absorb moisture while in the air (& expanding)/affecting the functionality of the battery? Obviously I want to be very safe here.

Thanks!
2019-4-22
Use props
patiam
Captain
Flight distance : 1093865 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiguy001 Posted at 4-22 12:21
okay, so I bought the canned air, sprayed it out, wiped it out, etc.

No crunching seems to be occuring now.

Don't worry, your battery is fine. Fly and have fun!
2019-4-22
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're sorry to know about this situation. I would recommend using air pressure on the battery, however, kindly limit the pressure into a light and shake the battery or observe if there will be pieces that would come out from the battery. If this would remain, you contact our support using the link below or the re-seller for a possible replacement of this said battery. Please keep us posted on the latest progress. Thank you for your continued support.

www.dji.com/support
2019-4-22
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

You could vaccum  it out just to be sure.
2019-4-22
Use props
djiguy001
First Officer

Canada

DJI Tony Posted at 4-22 13:11
Hi, we're sorry to know about this situation. I would recommend using air pressure on the battery, however, kindly limit the pressure into a light and shake the battery or observe if there will be pieces that would come out from the battery. If this would remain, you contact our support using the link below or the re-seller for a possible replacement of this said battery. Please keep us posted on the latest progress. Thank you for your continued support.

www.dji.com/support

hi - thanks - I bought it from the DJI store.... so if I did return it - would you ship me a new battery?
2019-4-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

None can get inside to damage anything, the cells are sealed, dont panic, go fly and have fun.....

I cannot and will not be held liable  for anything i advise on this forum, more so when im normally wrong anyway

2019-4-22
Use props
Manxmann
Captain
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

Just love you toy !  
2019-4-23
Use props
Antonio76
Captain
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

This looks like it is the battery connector. nothing from there can go "inside" the actual cells  or to the batery electronics board. a good puff of canned air is all you need, and you'll be safe..
2019-4-23
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiguy001 Posted at 4-22 16:23
hi - thanks - I bought it from the DJI store.... so if I did return it - would you ship me a new battery?

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. The resolution would depend on the warranty of this battery if it still under the warranty coverage as well as the result of evaluation on your unit. You may check the warranty period of the battery using the link below. Should you have further concern, please let us know.

https://www.dji.com/service/policy
2019-4-23
Use props
BagoDJIoperator84
Captain
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

I would get some can air and spray it out
2019-4-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now