P3A Camera/Gimbal failure after winter storage
947 8 2019-4-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ninjagaiden2110
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Folks

My first post on the forum. I got my P3A out for the first time this year to prepare for the flying season. It has been stored carefully for the last 7 months.

I brought all the batteries back up to full charge and connected up. I observed that there is no video signal from the camera but the gimbal itself was stabilising correctly and responding to tilt input from the RC. I tried the following:

• Resetting and reconnecting RC and AC,
  • Clearing App cache, Reinstalling the DJO Go App
  • Switching to different Ipad
  • Formatting Micro SD Card

Nothing worked so I thought I would try a firmware update to 01.11.0020 by copying it to the Micro SD card. The AC did not initiate the firmware update, so I am starting to wonder about the Camera module. I observed the following

• Camera Gimbal LED isn't coming on. Even starting the AC with no SD card (which I believe is supposed to make the gimbal LED flash) does nothing.
  • Connecting to the AC via USB, Windows indicates a USB device error
  • I disconnected the camera module, checked both ribbon cables for damage, and then reconnected everything. Still the same thing.

My conclusion is that somehow, even though the AC has been kept secure over winter and the batteries were brought up to full charge, powering up the AC has somehow fried the Camera / Gimbal module.

Can you think of everything else I could check? Is this a recognised failure mode for the camera / gimbal unit?

Thanks...

2019-4-22
Use props
fans114e0bfb
New

France

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem with my PH3A.

The application recognize it as a PH3 Pro. No video, no gimbal control, and impossible update with microSd. It seems that the AC can't read it to initiate the update...

Regards.

J.
2019-4-23
Use props
Defik
lvl.1
Flight distance : 97500 ft

Netherlands

fans114e0bfb Posted at 4-23 13:31
Hello,

I have exactly the same problem with my PH3A.

Same kind of problem here, it looks like a hole lot of people having big troubles at this time with there drone but DJI doesn't want to take there responsibility and give us a normal working drone!

It's a shame that devices priced like this get stuck without any reason.

2019-4-24
Use props
Air/America
Second Officer

United States

Where did you store your P3A? Was it stored inside or out in an unheated garage or shed? Maybe the drone circuit board connectors or ribbon cables have suffered some corrosion damage due to condensation?
2019-4-24
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

See this thread from 2016, particularly the OP which had been updated - with the problem and solution summarized a year later in 2017 - for a description of what likely happened to your system and how to fix it:  https://phantompilots.com/thread ... sistant-tool.77073/

Sorry.  Next time force yourself to start up your system at least once a month.  This would likely extend the life of your video modules.  

Good luck.  
2019-4-24
Use props
ninjagaiden2110
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Air/America Posted at 4-24 14:12
Where did you store your P3A? Was it stored inside or out in an unheated garage or shed? Maybe the drone circuit board connectors or ribbon cables have suffered some corrosion damage due to condensation?

I keep my drones indoors in a spare bedroom. I also have silica gel in the bottom of the drone backpack
2019-4-26
Use props
ninjagaiden2110
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Mark The Droner Posted at 4-24 15:41
See this thread from 2016, particularly the OP which had been updated - with the problem and solution summarized a year later in 2017 - for a description of what likely happened to your system and how to fix it:  https://phantompilots.com/thread ... sistant-tool.77073/

Sorry.  Next time force yourself to start up your system at least once a month.  This would likely extend the life of your video modules.  

Thanks! I'll check the thread but it sounds a bit beyond my skill set...
2019-4-26
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Here is a step by step video for doing the job on a P2V+ wifi board which might help.  Doing it on a LB board would not be exactly the same, but it would be the same general process.  So watching this video would likely be helpful.  There's no youtube vid for a LB board yet.  

The video was basically made from the instructions in the OP, even if indirectly.  It's the same general process.  Gaucho is the guy who figured this out and was kind enough to share with the community.  He's the one who edited or modified the disk image files which allow the flash program to run correctly for these boards.  As you can see, the command line used to run the flash and the other files needed to make it all work are the same regardless of what DJI board is being flashed.*  That means after diagnosing which of your two boards are bad, all you have to do is apply the video instructions below which were meant to work for the wifi board - and apply them to the LB board (control side or air side) which needs the flash.

*Unfortunately this flash won't work for the Phantom 2 Vision wifi board within the FC200 egg camera.
2019-4-26
Use props
Air/America
Second Officer

United States

ninjagaiden2110 Posted at 4-26 13:06
Thanks! I'll check the thread but it sounds a bit beyond my skill set...

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I would never have imagined that the drone could lose it's program (memory) while sitting idle for awhile. I hope that you get your drone sorted out and flying again.

The guy in the youtube video ^^^ showing how to reflash the drone memory is a "magician".

2019-4-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules