Changeable Focal Length
2303 3 2019-4-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI-FRANK
lvl.2
United States

I expect the Osmo Pocket next generation to have a way to change the focal length.

But how can it be done ?  

Possible ways to change focal length:

1:  On one gimble head have multiple small lens (like phones are doing)

2:  Have changeable larger lens (like the osmo X5 Pro)

3: Have a set of replaceable gimble heads (think lenes with a smart connectors)

4: Use a small periscope style zoom lens (as described below)

"Oppo has announced a new camera technique designed to enable 5x zoom even in thin smartphones. The company’s “5x Dual Camera Zoom” technology gets around vertical height constraints — the biggest design challenge in smartphone cameras — with a periscope-style lens array that runs horizontally along the top of the device."

What are you thoughts on this ? Which system would you prefer ?
I assume this addition would make the Pocket larger and more expensive.
Possibly thoughts for a Pro version rather then a second generation.

2019-4-22
Use props
Christian Elbert Budiman
New

Indonesia

I personally think that each one of it have its own engineering problem:

1:  On one gimble head have multiple small lens (like phones are doing)
- This means the gimbal (and the osmo pocket overall size) will be significantly larger.

2:  Have changeable larger lens (like the osmo X5 Pro)
- Seeing that installing a wide-angle module itself pose quite a significant weight to the gimbal, I don't think adding larger lens is possible (and also, how to operate it?). Besides that, the size wouldn't be pocketable anymore.

3: Have a set of replaceable gimbal heads (think lenses with a smart connectors)
- This could mean that we cannot zoom seemlessly, since it only change the zoom in steps.

4: Use a small periscope style zoom lens (as described below)
- The periscope system is possible on a phone because it is fixed. On a gimbal, the contraption would be very large and quite impossible to install due to the gimbal's moving parts.

I personally would've been happier if OP is mounted with a wider lens, due to it's market. This one is not meant to be used zooming objects in far, but to have easy access changing between filming user and objects they see.
2019-4-22
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

If you are willing to shoot at 1080p you can have two focal length equivalents now by shooting at 4K and expanding the shot in post production for closeups. You can also move the image within those frames for better composition.
2019-9-26
Use props
Geoff Cooper
lvl.1

I guess the general user would be mroe interested in going wider than the current OP lens... Add on lenses are the only current solution but come with plenty of their own issues!

Geoff
2019-10-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules