1133 21 2019-4-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aaron Avila
Second Officer
United States

Drone peeps,
Being a half paralyzed wheelchair bound stroke survivor,
I have noticed several content creators fly their Mavic 2 from the passengers seat of their car! Even active tracking their own car.
If this can be done it would be so much easier on my wife and me!

I'd appreciate your thoughts in comments!
Sincerely,
Your bro
Aaron Avila
Content shared by Inspired Flyers Drone Community
            My Official Thread in the DJI Forum
(Not sponsored by DJI)

2019-4-22
Use props
Aaron Avila
Second Officer
United States

2019-4-22
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

You would need to: (add RP-SMA connectors)

and use: (external antenna)

A forum moderator should chime in shortly to tell you that they do not recommend the modification or the use of anything other than DJI original equipment. ;)

Note: The antenna mod will void your warranty on the controller if you still have one. It should not affect DJI Care refresh or any other warranty on the drone itself unless the use of the modification can be proven to be the fault of any damages. (not likely)

2019-4-23
Use props
G_Sig
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

Yes it can bee done. Most of my S&R flights in the wintertime are done from my car.
If you don't plan to fly far out (+3km) you don't need anything else than your controller.
2019-4-23
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. This process may possible, however, it would be risky due to possible interference in the current environment. It's recommended flying the drone in an open area wherein there are no interferences to avoid the incident that may happen during the flight. Thank you for understanding.
2019-4-23
Use props
Aaron Avila
Second Officer
United States

Agree! Thanks Tony!
2019-4-23
Use props
Aaron Avila
Second Officer
United States

Anyone do this regularly?
2019-4-23
Use props
G_Sig
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

Yes I do.
Flight log Airdata.

One thing you need to do is reset Homepoint to controller.
That have to work so test it few times if that work inside the car.
2019-4-23
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Element of risk in 1/ signal interference caused by the car 2/ compass issues 3/ losing visual line of sight. But yes, it can be done though the risk of crashing is obviously increased.
2019-4-24
Use props
Neo Supreme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

A J Posted at 4-24 00:07
Element of risk in 1/ signal interference caused by the car 2/ compass issues 3/ losing visual line of sight. But yes, it can be done though the risk of crashing is obviously increased.

I was going to post a similar reply.  A signal booster can take care of controller transmission to the drone.  Calibration is a major issue.  If you can manage to calibrate without interference from the vehicle, you should be good.  Line of sight is important, as you should be able to put eyes on your aircraft.  If you can have a visual observer, you'll be covered.  I've flown from my vehicle before (parked), but I didn't like not having eyes, at least in the general direction, of my drone, so I got out.  I honestly do hope that you can enjoy flying though.  It really is a great activity.
2019-4-24
Use props
Aaron Avila
Second Officer
United States

Thanks guys! I'm choosing not to do it.
2019-4-24
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Aaron Avila Posted at 4-24 06:12

You're welcome Aaron
2019-4-24
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Aaron Avila Posted at 4-24 06:12

I understand... would be hard to do one handed for sure!
What I did was purchased a controller on eBay for ~ $100 and modded that one. That way I have a stock one and a modded one. Really cool to have 2 controllers; I let my wife fly using the 2nd one while I use the primary one. Can see the camera on both controllers at the same time! It really is a nice way to share the experience.
2019-4-29
Use props
Aaron Avila
Second Officer
United States

Bob Brown Posted at 4-29 10:47
I understand... would be hard to do one handed for sure!
What I did was purchased a controller on eBay for ~ $100 and modded that one. That way I have a stock one and a modded one. Really cool to have 2 controllers; I let my wife fly using the 2nd one while I use the primary one. Can see the camera on both controllers at the same time! It really is a nice way to share the experience.

Are you one handed like me?
2019-4-29
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Aaron Avila Posted at 4-29 13:12
Are you one handed like me?
[view_image]

No... I was saying for you to do it would be very difficult. Best to just send it out and have it done or buy a already modified one off ebay.
2019-5-2
Use props
Aaron Avila
Second Officer
United States

Bob Brown Posted at 5-2 07:40
No... I was saying for you to do it would be very difficult. Best to just send it out and have it done or buy a already modified one off ebay.

Check this out!
https://www.kickstarter.com/proj ... le-handed-drone-con
2019-5-2
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Aaron Avila Posted at 5-2 08:56
Check this out!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fluiditytech/ft-aviator-a-revolutionary-single-handed-drone-con

Yeah I saw that last summer... looks cool but is it practical?
2019-5-6
Use props
BobB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft

Only in sparse populated areas (in the country) from what i have read at the FAA site.
2019-9-26
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4

BobB Posted at 9-26 02:01
Only in sparse populated areas (in the country) from what i have read at the FAA site.

This is a "zombie" thread from months ago; Mightye777 is resurrecting dozens of them by spamming the exact same "Thanks for sharing!" repeatedly.

My guess is that eventually those posts will all be edited to point to some commercial website in order to boost its SEO ranking.
2019-9-26
Use props
BobB
Second Officer

Gimpy Posted at 9-26 02:06
This is a "zombie" thread from months ago; Mightye777 is resurrecting dozens of them by spamming the exact same "Thanks for sharing!" over and over.

lol ah k i didn't look at the date...... Trying to be a Captain i guess
2019-9-26
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4

BobB Posted at 9-26 02:17
lol ah k i didn't look at the date......  Trying to be a Captain i guess

Maybe so. Or maybe a "captain of industry".
2019-9-26
Use props
BobB
Second Officer

Gimpy Posted at 9-26 02:22
Maybe so. Or maybe a "captain of industry".

ya kind of like the Colonel of the Urinal ...
2019-9-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules