IMU Altitude Error Message! Help!
14443 12 2019-4-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
abishop
lvl.1
United States

At the beginning of this year, I crashed my Mavic Air. When I sent it in for repairs, they sent me a new mavic air. However, I've had a problem with this one from the beginning. It flies just fine, but as soon as I get above 30 m this message pops up: "IMU altitude error. Please check that the IMU is mounted properly."

It doesn't seem to affect the flying of the drone, but it pops up constantly during flight.

HELP!
2019-4-25
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi abishop, my sincere apologies for the inconvenience. If it is convenient for you, please provide a screenshot of the error message for further checking. I would like to see if you're receving an error code. In this case, you can restore the settings to factory defaults and the refresh the firmware using DJI Assistant 2. You can download the software here: https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info#downloads and follow the video tutorial below. After that, kindly change another place and then calibrate the IMU. Please let me know if the issue persists, thanks!  

2019-4-25
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Calibrate the IMU on a level surface back home
2019-4-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

That sounds like a hardware issue, what is the attitude of the craft when it goes above 30 metres is it stable ? Does the warning say altitude or attitude ?
2019-4-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

"IMU altitude error. Please check that the IMU is mounted properly."

Begs the question...  How does one check if IMU is mounted properly other:
a) send drone into DJI service and repair

b) open drone up to see if IMU is loose and at same time void warranty
c) violently shake drone to see if anything is loose and rattles around  
2019-4-25
Use props
cutis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 4-25 17:45
"IMU altitude error. Please check that the IMU is mounted properly."

Begs the question...  How does one check if IMU is mounted properly other:
It fails cal means youre correct.
Funny imu takeoff none fault?
but barometer relates via 30meter consistently else how prescribe consistently @30meter?

the software also needs corrupt flagging elicited thru rewriting install of it. if fail, that spells repositing can not keep it from however it keeps corrupting (kept in flash memory safekeeping from getting corrupted). no diff than sdcard corrupt failure.
2019-4-25
Use props
abishop
lvl.1
United States

cutis Posted at 4-25 17:59
It fails cal means youre correct.
Funny imu takeoff none fault?
but barometer relates via 30meter consistently else how prescribe consistently @30meter?

I'm not trying to be rude, but I'm having a really hard time understanding your advice!
2019-4-26
Use props
abishop
lvl.1
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-25 14:56
Hi abishop, my sincere apologies for the inconvenience. If it is convenient for you, please provide a screenshot of the error message for further checking. I would like to see if you're receving an error code. In this case, you can restore the settings to factory defaults and the refresh the firmware using DJI Assistant 2. You can download the software here: https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info#downloads and follow the video tutorial below. After that, kindly change another place and then calibrate the IMU. Please let me know if the issue persists, thanks!  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPmWvxeSp7E

2019-4-26
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Perhaps a case of Main Controller being confused.  In other words, incorrect message.
2019-4-26
Use props
cutis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

abishop Posted at 4-26 09:34
I'm not trying to be rude, but I'm having a really hard time understanding your advice!

there are inter-related factors. consistent warn @30altitude can be related to pressure (the barometer sensor). directives to chk any all corruption software via apk or and asst2 eliminates possible soft corrupt. directives to imu cal is pass fail query, if fails consistently then imu subassembly likely mortality.
i repeat, very inconsistent youre allowed imu okay for takeoff!
2019-4-26
Use props
Selim Demirsoy
lvl.1
Romania

Hello,

I had the same problem with my mavic air. Let me summarize the issue in a chronological order:

1st crash: Couple months ago, I had a small crash. Indeed when I try to land the drone, the surface was not so flat, it was bit inclined and drone drifted and crashed into ground from 1 meter. There were not any damages in the drone, but some scratches on the propellers. Anyways both the drone and propellers were in a good shape, they were not structurally damaged. Afterwards, I made a test flight for couple minutes and drone was working properly.

2nd crash: After this incident,  a month ago, I flew my drone inside my house in order to drain the batteries (I know this might not the very best method). First two batteries I had no problem. With the 3rd battery, when I took off, drone did not hover, instead, it gain altitude. Even tough I made countermoves, I could not control it and it crashed to ceiling and then to column. Eventually, 2 propellers were broken. All of this this crash happened less than 10 seconds. Afterwards, I  changed all propellers with brand new ones. I did not understand exactly why this accident occurred... I though this might be an exceptional case or it catches the gps just right after take off or maybe caused due to the prior crash I had.... afterwards  I made another test flight for couple minutes, everything was working properly.

3rd problem and error message: Recently, I had 2 outdoor flights without any problem. With the 3rd flight when I took off with precision take off mode, drone suddenly gain altitude up to 20-30 meters abnormally. I understood that i had a similar problem, with countermoves I was able to control the altitude and thanks to god I landed safely. However, when I try to land it, drone was not so stable, it was drifting a bit to right or to left. Also when I checked the flight records, I saw that drones altitude is around zero meters for a while after it took off, then reach up to 5 6 meters (as I described maybe it raised up to 20 30 meters). Also while I was trying to land it, it reached to minus 7 metes. Indeed while drone shows negative values, it gave this imu altitude error. (Please note that, I calibrated the compass before each of these 3 flights). Anyways, with the same battery I took off again, and drone was working properly, just drifting very very less to right or left and to downwards. When I came home, I calibrated imu, contoller and sensors.

Another important fact, I have never calibrated the imu before this 3rd accident. Also I am an occasional drone pilot, not a pro... After this last incident, from this forum and web search, I understand that it might be related to imu calibration(to be honest, I was not aware of imu before, I was thinking that drone will not take off, if there is something wrong with imu. Like it is always asking compass calibration when it is necessary before taking off. And I do trust this notifications) Anyhow I did the imu calibration right now.  My questions to Dji and to forum visitors, is it safe to fly with the steps that I followed? And how can I be sure that I can safely fly my drone without having similar problem/s. Please let me know if I need to do something and give me further advices if necessary.
2020-2-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Selim Demirsoy Posted at 2-22 13:20
Hello,

I had the same problem with my mavic air. Let me summarize the issue in a chronological order:

First you must carry out IMU correctly.

1/ temperature is important, leave drone outside for 20min to become accustomed to outside temps, this will help with quicker start up times.
2/ you must carry out IMU on a completely level surface, use a sprit level if needed.
3/ complete each step 100%.

IMU "Inertial measurement unit" .

As far as I see it, IMU calibration on a level surface updates a table of values the flight controller software uses as a reference for a level stationary hover. From there the craft responds predictably to flight commands.  It also likely measures any sensor noise and thermal drift so that these technical imperfections are accounted for when using IMU sensor data in flight. - this is likely why there must be no vibrations during the calibration process.

Bad IMU calibration could cause drift and attitude issues as the flight controller fights to hold the craft in what it thinks is the correct attitude as opposed to the correct physical attitude.

The IMU usually has 2 types of sensors – angle and acceleration and in turn 3 sensors of each type measuring in the X,Y and Z axis. These sensors can, through vibration, aging, impact etc, drift in their response over time and thus an IMU calibration will establish a new reference for the IMU’s level/stationary state that the flight controller can work with to restore stable flight.

Think of calibration as the bringing back into line the measured craft attitude with the true physical craft attitude.

As to how often an IMU calibration is needed, Refer to your manual ; certainly after any impact or if there are suspicions the craft can’t hover in a level attitude in a windless environment. Also after a firmware update is a good opportunity just in case the stored values get corrupted or are incompatible with the later firmware.
2020-2-22
Use props
Delanera
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2802 ft
Brazil

Similar issue here.
Also mavic air on iPhone X.
Having the same warnings frequently and the drone drifts around 2 meters on vertical. Making it have unsafe to flight it.
Usually after a battery chance without switching off the RC.

When this happened, it also acts strange on take off and landing. It does not turn off the motor after landing on my hand neither hover up after taking off from it.

BC71A08A-7D75-47B1-AF92-D50CF2EE4CFF.jpeg
B0B3EF76-9B34-48CD-A293-77D388023676.jpeg
2021-4-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules