Fell out of sky with Motor Obstruction Message
1154 9 2019-4-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fred F
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4676457 ft
Australia

Unfortunately, my Mavic Pro fell out of the sky for an inexplicable reason.

I took it up to 140m steadily, over a terrain with forests, trees are no higher than 30m, I set the RTH height of 75m, but that's not the point.

It flew steadily at about 10 meters above a road for about 30 secs, with absolutely not a sign of any mechanical problems, then I took it up to 140m or so.  Wind was calm, the weather was perfect, and I don't see any surrounding objects.

All at a sudden, it turned without my command, and a "Motor Obstructed" message came up, then it just fell of the sky into the surrounding bush.  Took about 20 mins to find it.
The "Find My Drone" function, does not tell you how far it is, so it was hard to judge with part of the thick bush it is.  But that's another issue.

Found it, not to mention that it is a wreck. The camera and gimbal were torn out, hanging by the cable strip. Some propellers were broken.  But I got it flying again without changing anything, just lift over the ground, and it went steadily, so how was the motor obstructed?

Can anyone help with instructions to download the analytics so to figure out what's wrong, then we can all learn.

I am no spring chicken when it comes to flying the Mavic with over two years of experience, 120 Hours of flying over many different terrains, so I was at a lost if I've done anything wrong.

Now I am left with only two other Mavics.

Thanks.
2019-4-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Fred F. I'm really sorry to know what happened to your DJI Mavic Pro. I would recommend you contact our support team to start up a ticket for the said drone at : https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav . We have the professional team who would do their best to find out the reason of the incident and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Please note that DJI will not perform data analysis for cases occurring after the expiry of the warranty period; otherwise, valid charges will apply. Thank for your support.
2019-4-26
Use props
Paul_IA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

Flight logs might shed some light as to whether it was a sudden error or you had other issues building up to the incident. You can process them HERE and post the link back here for others to analyze.
2019-4-27
Use props
raven swe
Second Officer
Flight distance : 517936 ft
Sweden

bird strike maybe
2019-4-27
Use props
Fred F
lvl.4
Australia

Could be, but the sky has no big birds around, nor other birds that I can see or hear.  And also no feathers on the wrecked body.
2019-4-28
Use props
Fred F
lvl.4
Australia

Paul_IA Posted at 4-27 13:27
Flight logs might shed some light as to whether it was a sudden error or you had other issues building up to the incident. You can process them HERE and post the link back here for others to analyze.

Thanks, I shall do so.
2019-4-28
Use props
Fred F
lvl.4
Australia

Paul_IA Posted at 4-27 13:27

Hi

I uploaded the log, and here is the link
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/XZUFTT31SBO5SINRD8BJ

Let's see if there are anything to enlighten the problem.  Up to the point where the first "Motor Current Error" message at 1m43s, everything was normal.  I was about to forward it, but all the sticks were pretty much neutral.

So go for it, guys.

PS.  I just have flown the wrecked unit as it is, for about 15 minutes, and it went alright, just hovering about one or two meters off the ground, no "Motor..." anything message, no error message other than "Obstacle.." message as expected due to the damages.  It was performing steadily even with the broken propeller etc.

Other than for newbies to practice,  I don't know what it is good for now, no FPV flying possible.

2019-4-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Fred F Posted at 4-28 16:44
Hi

I uploaded the log, and here is the link

Looking at your log it seems at around 1.50 there were huge discrepancies in pitch roll and yaw, reported speed errors, it my from here it steadily speedwise lowered to the ground, it very much looks like an error on one of your motors most likely loosing a prop or motor problem, because it actually came down steadily albeit very unstable it could be problem with motor not working correctly.

Its one for dji, I have seen similar lately and it was deemed a malfunction so fingers crossed, I presume you have lodged a case with dji .
2019-4-29
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow, that is a bummer I'm sorry to hear that hopefully you'll be back up and running shortly and that won't be too much of a problem.
2019-4-29
Use props
Fred F
lvl.4
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 4-29 07:45
Looking at your log it seems at around 1.50 there were huge discrepancies in pitch roll and yaw, reported speed errors, it my from here it steadily speedwise lowered to the ground, it very much looks like an error on one of your motors most likely loosing a prop or motor problem, because it actually came down steadily albeit very unstable it could be problem with motor not working correctly.

Its one for dji, I have seen similar lately and it was deemed a malfunction so fingers crossed, I presume you have lodged a case with dji .

So I thought too.  NO propeller was lost, and the bird flew perfectly yesterday for about 15 minutes, btw, with the broken propeller untouched, I only blu-tagged the camera together, which is now rs.

I do think it is a case for DJI, but they want to charge me for out-of-warranty cases....it is their call.  With birds dropping out of the sky, they should be concerned.
2019-4-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules