Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Can't balance RONIN S with SONY A 6400 - Too Light
11918 16 2019-4-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jean Nego
lvl.1
Flight distance : 73606 ft
France

Hello

I can't balance my new S ronin with my SONY A6400 because it's too light.
It will not balance when the camera is facing upwards
Does anyone have a solution.
Should we add a weight? Buy a cage?
Thank you in advance for your answers

Jean

2019-4-27
Use props
Jason James
lvl.3
Flight distance : 827487 ft
Ecuador

I don't have this setup so I can't say for sure, but I have seen others say that the camera will balance properly aftering adding a riser. Try it and see if it helps!
2019-6-13
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

What lens did you use!

Add the riser plate and try again.
2019-6-16
Use props
Blellow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

a6500 balances easily.  Is it not the same weight?
2019-6-18
Use props
jiD One above all
lvl.4
Flight distance : 137388 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

Should we add a weight?

Answers is YES , if too light add weight

Take a Chance ;)
2019-6-19
Use props
Blellow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

I dont see it that way.  I say keep it as light as possible and balance it better.  Also set the settings for the motor to medium or light.   
2019-6-19
Use props
jiD One above all
lvl.4
Flight distance : 137388 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

motor to light.    Yes

2019-6-21
Use props
djiuser_MaElf22LxLyj
lvl.1
Lithuania

But your camera has  internal stabilization so combo this combo works fine I guess..

Jumping on this thread as I have probably similar issue..

a6400 is either too light for Ronin S or it is not as good as it claims (I think it is first one).

I have same combo as OP (a6400 + Ronin S). I bought a6400 to replace a6000 as it was so light for Ronin S that it shaked like crazy.

NOW Ronin S - stabilizes with a6400 easily for me and it seems fine until you use it or even compare to old zhyiun crane.

I have tried adding cage (I almost always have it on for a6400)
I have tried using gimbal with bare a6400
I have tried adding Rode videomicro
I have tried to put second plate under.
RESULTS it seems balanced. App shows all axis as excelent. But it does not remove shakes from walking and this is the reason people need a gimbal. To walk or run and have stable footage.
You can easily pan or tilt free hand and have no shakes so if I can do it without gimbal why would I need one...

IF I had never used any gimbals before this one I would think that it is doing its job. But my co-worker has old zhyiun crane which takes less time to set up and use. You can even have not perfectly balanced and it will work as good as ronin S with excelent balance. AGAIN I AM TALKING ABOUT RONIN S + SONY A6400 (or a6300 which I used a bit before on this gimbal)

I found this topic here and thought that you guys would help me but so far no luck...
Tried to play with low/med/high settings and nothing improved. So I am lost. Do you have any more ideas what can be done? Or should we just not use Ronin S with light mirrorless...

p.s.
I am not saying zhyiun is better gimbal overall. It lacks quick release plate, it lacks great software which DJI has, It cannot handle 70D with 18-135mm on it Ronin S CAN.
2019-7-11
Use props
Sam Video
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I know its not the a6400 but after doing some research I kept seeing the Ronin S suggested for the a6000 (https://gimbalgarage.com/best-gimbal-for-sony-a6000/) so I picked it up. Apparently the A6000 camera body is lighter than the a6400 camera body and I have never had any issues with the balancing.  I know some others have suggested that you use a riser plate but are you sure the issues are down to the weight of your a6400 and its not something to do with a battery grip or a long lens having an effect on the center of gravity or something?
2019-8-10
Use props
moicel
lvl.1

Austria

DId you tried to put the RIser on it helped me to balance my camera
2019-8-12
Use props
Cole drooleo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3514 ft

I have the exact same problem with my a 6400 except that its mainly the roll axis that wobbles, it seems to be better now that i have a rode vide mic go on it
2019-9-3
Use props
djiuser_tbLRixMZs6an
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2913 ft
Ireland

I have similar problem with wobbling on roll axis with A6400 and kit lens. Would heavier 18-105 f4 solve the problem?
2020-1-26
Use props
djiuser_HqIc0cOLZuQu
lvl.1
United States

Same exact problem. I picked the Ronin S in case I wanted to extend my sony A6400 with heavier lenses. The results of this camera and Ronin S is terrible however, but I cant return it anymore.
Any solutions here would be greatly appreciated!
2020-2-27
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

A GoPro on the Ronin-S is too overkill.  What do your flagship videos look like?
2020-2-27
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

You guys need to make it as balanced as possible with the motors off then calibrate everything unless your Ronins are broken.
2020-2-27
Use props
VinkyHambuger
lvl.1
United States

Hey guys - I managed to balance it, but it required an addition to the rig.

After checking the Compatibility list for the Sony A6400 + Ronin S, I realized about the minimum weight. The Sony A6400 + most of the lighter weight lenses are listed as not compatible. I solved it by adding weight the camera. This now allows me to perfectly balance. If you want to do the same, this is what I purchased to add weights:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NRTW4LZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Note that I use the Sigma 16MM 1.4 lens, which also adds more weight than standard lenses. Check the compatibility list for supported lenses, calculate the weight and see how much short on weight you are on your set up.

2020-3-24
Use props
djiuser_H0DstAGY9EFN
New

United Kingdom

Guys help a brother out I recently bought a dji rs3 combo version with a new A6400 sony camera with just the kit lens of 16mm-50mm right but I'm having issues balancing them anyone has some advice or tips?
2023-3-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules