8123 44 2019-4-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Elettrone78
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2840512 ft
  • >>>
Italy

I've got a doubt, there's a person selling his Mavic 2 drone that he claims he received as a gift but he's not into these things and want to get rid of it and didnt even register it. The price point is so good that is hard to pass but he doesn't have a receipt because its a gift...sounds too convenient to me.
What happens if the product is stolen?
Do I risk getting a blocked drone that I can't use like cellphones nowadays?
2019-4-30
Use props
3BEPb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 165928 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you suspect it’s stolen your main question should be “is it right to buy stolen property”.
It looks like you will be ok with moral dilemma as long as allegedly stolen drone works for you.
2019-4-30
Use props
G_Sig
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

Ask for the serial number on the M2P.
If it is stolen you most likely dont get answer but if you get SN
Dji moderators can test it to see if it reported stolen.
2019-4-30
Use props
Elettrone78
lvl.4
  • >>>
Italy

3BEPb Posted at 4-30 08:49
If you suspect it’s stolen your main question should be “is it right to buy stolen property”.
It looks like you will be ok with moral dilemma as long as allegedly stolen drone works for you.

You've got a point but I don't know if it is, in the past I've bought cellphones at convenient prices from honest people with similar claims and I never got a block so I'm just pondering the risks involved.
2019-4-30
Use props
Elettrone78
lvl.4
  • >>>
Italy

G_Sig Posted at 4-30 08:54
Ask for the serial number on the M2P.
If it is stolen you most likely dont get answer but if you get SN
Dji moderators can test it to see if it reported stolen.

That's a good thinking, I'll try that.
2019-4-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Stolen drones are never blocked, it’s quite easy to check if he won it as a prize, just ask where and what for, this is not anything you shouldn’t be asking, it sounds like a good deal to me .
2019-4-30
Use props
3BEPb
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Scumbag and his real face.
2019-4-30
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I don't believe DJI hold a stolen drones register - seen a few cases like this on here and that was the end result. Ask to see his receipt of purchase and tell him you need it for the warranty. If he doesn't reply then that is a very good indication that its stolen goods and I'd stay well clear.
2019-4-30
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Support. We do appreciate bringing this query to us. Regretfully, we are unable to track stolen aircraft because tracking it would require the aircraft to be flying when it was lost through the flight record on your DJI Go 4 App. However, you cannot activate the aircraft if it's reported to be stolen drones. Our recommendation for this issue is to let your local authority note that the unit was stolen it will be under their jurisdiction. Your local drone aviation agency will be checking into aircraft should the new user will register the unit for drone license. It will be withheld and notify you should it was being attempted to be registered. Hoping we could do more, we apologize.
2019-4-30
Use props
Elettrone78
lvl.4
  • >>>
Italy

DJI Diana Posted at 4-30 09:40
Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Support. We do appreciate bringing this query to us. Regretfully, we are unable to track stolen aircraft because tracking it would require the aircraft to be flying when it was lost through the flight record on your DJI Go 4 App. However, you cannot activate the aircraft if it's reported to be stolen drones. Our recommendation for this issue is to let your local authority note that the unit was stolen it will be under their jurisdiction. Your local drone aviation agency will be checking into aircraft should the new user will register the unit for drone license. It will be withheld and notify you should it was being attempted to be registered. Hoping we could do more, we apologize.
Ok thanks for the info.
It is stolen I don't want to have anything to do with it but this person claims it's legit and can be registered . He's willing to open the box and register it live so I' starting to think maybe it is not stolen.
I'm puzzled.
What if I buy it, register it and later on I need repair service and something bad comes out?
Am I going to lose the drone?
Thing is I'm not buying a stolen item in a million years but I don't even want to pass upon a good deal when it is legit.
Thanks for the support.
2019-4-30
Use props
Elettrone78
lvl.4
  • >>>
Italy

163DFCL0011CJ2 this is the serial, the person seems really legit, can you please check.
2019-4-30
Use props
Elettrone78
lvl.4
  • >>>
Italy

Arf...no admin online? I'm gonna lose a good deal I feel it... T_T
2019-4-30
Use props
G_Sig
Second Officer
Iceland

Elettrone78 Posted at 4-30 11:42
Arf...no admin online? I'm gonna lose a good deal I feel it... T_T

Let him register it live on your name, you have tried what you can.
2019-4-30
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

If it registers, and activates, then you are good to go.
Like above, have him do it in your name/address etc.
Then, I would go for a test flight, and if all seems good then go ahead and get the care/refresh option.
2019-4-30
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Elettrone78 Posted at 4-30 10:03
Ok thanks for the info.
It is stolen I don't want to have anything to do with it but this person claims it's legit and can be registered . He's willing to open the box and register it live so I' starting to think maybe it is not stolen.
I'm puzzled.

Hi, thanks for getting back with us. We'll send you a PM once we confirm but we'll have to double check it first with our Headquarters. Please wait patiently. Thank you.
2019-4-30
Use props
3BEPb
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 4-30 09:26
I don't believe DJI hold a stolen drones register - seen a few cases like this on here and that was the end result. Ask to see his receipt of purchase and tell him you need it for the warranty. If he doesn't reply then that is a very good indication that its stolen goods and I'd stay well clear.

Wrong. It’s not database but if you report your drone stolen they will make a note of it. And as you can see they can check.
2019-4-30
Use props
Elettrone78
lvl.4
  • >>>
Italy

Well it may be too late, he's gonna sell it tomorrow to some one else...he told me.Amen
2019-4-30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

3BEPb Posted at 4-30 12:32
Wrong. It’s not database but if you report your drone stolen they will make a note of it. And as you can see they can check.

Really? DJI Diana is double checking from what I'm reading given that "regretfully, we are unable to track stolen aircraft" - see post 13...
2019-4-30
Use props
Niederrheiner
lvl.3
Germany

Quite easy to check, try to activate in front of the seller.... before read this https://forum.dji.com/thread-185871-1-1.html
2019-4-30
Use props
Niederrheiner
lvl.3
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 4-30 09:25
Stolen drones are never blocked, it’s quite easy to check if he won it as a prize, just ask where and what for, this is not anything you shouldn’t be asking, it sounds like a good deal to me .

sorry, but youre wrong, if the drone is stolen and noticed to DJI, the serial will be blocked, forever... only sendng back to dji with HW replace is a solution...

https://forum.dji.com/thread-185871-1-1.html
2019-4-30
Use props
Niederrheiner
lvl.3
Germany

3BEPb Posted at 4-30 12:32

Sorry, but DJI has this database.... i get knowledge of this by myself...

2019-4-30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Niederrheiner Posted at 4-30 12:48
Quite easy to check, try to activate in front of the seller.... before read this https://forum.dji.com/thread-185871-1-1.html

Thats reassuring to have confirmed - I'd definitely ask for the receipt and have the drone activated with the seller there.  
2019-4-30
Use props
G_Sig
Second Officer
Iceland

A J Posted at 4-30 12:46
Really? DJI Diana is double checking from what I'm reading given that "regretfully, we are unable to track stolen aircraft" - see post 12...

If the drone is stolen after activation Dji cant do anything but if it has not been activated
then they can block it as I understand it.
There was thread about this some time ago, think it was about stolen batch in transport and it was blocked.
2019-4-30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

G_Sig Posted at 4-30 13:08
If the drone is stolen after activation Dji cant do anything but if it has not been activated
then they can block it as I understand it.
There was thread about this some time ago, think it was about stolen batch in transport and it was blocked.

According to Niederrheiner there is a database... look at the link in post 24.
EDIT - in his case the drone was not activated which supports that if the drone is stolen off the back of a lorry and unactivated then it can be blocked but if someone broke into my house and stole my activated drone then I was right in that there is no register for activated stolen drones to be tracked. Thanks for confirming as that is what I thought as matches what DJI have also confirmed in this thread.
2019-4-30
Use props
G_Sig
Second Officer
Iceland

A J Posted at 4-30 13:11
According to Niederrheiner there is a database... look at the link in post 24.
EDIT - in his case the drone was not activated which supports that if the drone is stolen off the back of a lorry and unactivated then it can be blocked but if someone broke into my house and stole my activated drone then I was right in that there is no register for activated stolen drones to be tracked. Thanks for confirming as that iswhat I thought as matches what DJI have also confirmed in this thread.

Yes that drone was not activated. Was stolen before it reach customer.
2019-4-30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

G_Sig Posted at 4-30 13:18
Yes that drone was not activated. Was stolen before it reach customer.

That makes sense.
2019-4-30
Use props
3BEPb
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 4-30 12:46
Really? DJI Diana is double checking from what I'm reading given that "regretfully, we are unable to track stolen aircraft" - see post 12...

You are full of dunk and people proved it to you.
2019-4-30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

3BEPb Posted at 4-30 14:00
You are full of dunk and people proved it to you.

No they haven't actually - have you read what was actually written? Obviously not
2019-4-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Spain

Niederrheiner Posted at 4-30 12:50
sorry, but youre wrong, if the drone is stolen and noticed to DJI, the serial will be blocked, forever... only sendng back to dji with HW replace is a solution...

Your right I see that now, so it’s very simple for OP, just ask for drone to be started, if it can be then dji obviously doesn’t recognize it as stolen, it makes sense .
2019-4-30
Use props
Elettrone78
lvl.4
  • >>>
Italy

What I think is very important to understand for people buying drones from private citizens is what happens if the drone, wether it's already activated or not, turns out later on to be stolen.
Does it become unserviceable out of the blue or will it keep going on until it needs assistance and then gets impounded by DJI or what else?
I'm not talking morality here, it's a practical knowledge that I think customers should have because frauds do happen and it's very easy to fake a receipt.
So please, an admin ought to clarify this.
In any case my window of opportunity to buy this unit has probably expired thus I think I have demonstrated my good faith.
2019-4-30
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 4-30 14:28
Your right I see that now, so it’s very simple for OP, just ask for drone to be started, if it can be then dji obviously doesn’t recognize it as stolen, it makes sense .

but once it is started and activated, DJI cannot then go block it if rightful owner reports it if it is stolen..... its a catch 22..  
2019-4-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 4-30 22:59
but once it is started and activated, DJI cannot then go block it if rightful owner reports it if it is stolen..... its a catch 22..

Your right there .
2019-4-30
Use props
*DM*
lvl.4
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

Anybody thought about asking for a purchase receipt?

2019-4-30
Use props
Elettrone78
lvl.4
  • >>>
Italy

*DM* Posted at 4-30 23:38

He did not purchase it, he claims he's received it as a production gift for best employee of the year or something like that. He was very confident and forthcoming in my questions as he let me copy the SN.If the product is defective he must return it to the company that's why he doesn't have a receipt, if that's true or not i don't know.

2019-4-30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

*DM* Posted at 4-30 23:38

Post 12 DM - but he doesn’t have one...
2019-4-30
Use props
SD_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

How much is he selling for? combo package or just one battery?
2019-5-1
Use props
Elettrone78
lvl.4
  • >>>
Italy

2/3 of original selling price, basic package.
2019-5-1
Use props
zappy54
lvl.4
Flight distance : 446900 ft
United Kingdom

its up to you but may be worth it just for the Mavic 2 parts
2019-5-1
Use props
Elettrone78
lvl.4
  • >>>
Italy

It has been over 48hrs ago, he sold it ten times over by now. Thanks for nothing as usual with DJI support.
2019-5-1
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

Flycaster Posted at 4-30 12:17
If it registers, and activates, then you are good to go.
Like above, have him do it in your name/address etc.
Then, I would go for a test flight, and if all seems good then go ahead and get the care/refresh option.

Register and activate without a down payment???
2019-5-2
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules