5916 64 2015-6-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GrahamJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 595538 ft
Australia

Dear community,

So, I responded to the request to participate in the "Autopilot" (I.e. Ground station, waypoint flying) feature beta testing for the I1 a week ago.  Apart from the initial acknowledgement, I've not yet heard anything further.  Has anyone else?  I'm really keen to move this feature forward, and get it deployed to all of us ASAP.  It's the ONE feature I've been waiting for, for the last 6 months, since it was announced as part of the market release of the I1.
2015-6-7
Use props
patou72
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3316614 ft
Switzerland

Nothing heard on my side, but i think they need to go trough the validation system of apple and that can take a long time. Just remember, in the beginning we had the unofficial version of the DJI-Pilot App (IOS) on the Download site of DJI and then they stopped it because it started to be a problem with Apple...
I guess they don't want to repeat the same thing again...

Patou
2015-6-7
Use props
Skywolf007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2758875 ft
Slovakia

Is it still possible to apply for the test? or is it closed. I saw the thread about it, and I do want it too!!!

When I bought the I1 back in January, I hoped they will provide Ground station, Autopilot, POI etc in 2-3 months.

But it have been nearly 6 months and nothing!!! I need autopilot, because I have potential customers, where I need a solid auto flight for some time-lapse videos etc

I do work with Pix4D too, but I can't get any serious job, cause I don't have Autoflight.

So PLEASE DJI - MAKE IT HAPPEN!!

I don't care if its from a 3rd party... I just want it asap
2015-6-7
Use props
donfiedler.hotm
lvl.1

United States

I responded as well, however the app is for the Phantom 3 not the inspire
2015-6-7
Use props
Linolens
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501250 ft
Macao

I've got a reply and it stated they'll contact me back as soon as it''s released for testing
2015-6-7
Use props
capalvch
lvl.3
Flight distance : 71125 ft
Venezuela

They sent me an email  saying that they Will advice me as soon as they were ready for the beta test.
I currently use autopilot app in my phantom 2 vision+ v3 and it works nice.
Can't wait to see it working in my Inspire 1 and Phantom 3
2015-6-7
Use props
capalvch
lvl.3
Venezuela

For all wanting to do the beta test, I think is a good idea to use the actual app for phantom 2 vision +, It is a great app but need to read and practice it to get the best out of it
2015-6-7
Use props
GrahamJ
lvl.4
Australia

patou72 Posted at 2015-6-8 00:22
Nothing heard on my side, but i think they need to go trough the validation system of apple and that ...

Yip, good point mate...
2015-6-8
Use props
GrahamJ
lvl.4
Australia

Skywolf007 Posted at 2015-6-8 05:14
Is it still possible to apply for the test? or is it closed. I saw the thread about it, and I do wan ...

Mate, I can't recall there being a closing date for entry, so, just reply to the email and see if you get the initial acknowledgement that we received...

Good luck...
2015-6-8
Use props
GrahamJ
lvl.4
Australia

donfiedler.hotm Posted at 2015-6-8 05:55
I responded as well, however the app is for the Phantom 3 not the inspire

Mate, no, the P3 version exists.  This is beta testing for the I1 platform.  
2015-6-8
Use props
GrahamJ
lvl.4
Australia

Linolens Posted at 2015-6-8 10:16
I've got a reply and it stated they'll contact me back as soon as it''s released for testing

Yip, we all received the initial acknowledgement.  I wondered if anyone received any further info/instructions/status update.
2015-6-8
Use props
GrahamJ
lvl.4
Australia

capalvch@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-8 13:14
They sent me an email  saying that they Will advice me as soon as they were ready for the beta test. ...

2015-6-8
Use props
HFI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904990 ft
  • >>>
United States

My concern is that if DJI pass off autopilot to a third party developer and the aircraft goes walkies DJI will wash their hands with any claims.  
2015-6-8
Use props
GrahamJ
lvl.4
Australia

HFI Posted at 2015-6-8 21:43
My concern is that if DJI pass off autopilot to a third party developer and the aircraft goes walkie ...

Totally understand your concern, but I'm absolutely sure the underpinning agreements between 3rd party provider and DJI would cover governance, risk and compliance requirements, like the one you've highlighted.
2015-6-8
Use props
capalvch
lvl.3
Venezuela

GrahamJ Posted at 2015-6-8 20:13
Mate, no, the P3 version exists.  This is beta testing for the I1 platform.

Grahamj, the P3 version doesn't exist. Both, Inspire 1 and Phantom3 will use The lightbridge versión that will be betatested. What exist si The phantom 2 V3 versión, that I have use, that is great bit with The limitation of wifi.
2015-6-10
Use props
GrahamJ
lvl.4
Australia

capalvch@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-10 19:51
Grahamj, the P3 version doesn't exist. Both, Inspire 1 and Phantom3 will use The lightbridge versi ...

A-ha, ok, apologies...I thought the whole ground station/waypoint/autopilot thing was in place for the P3.  Cheers...
2015-6-10
Use props
capalvch
lvl.3
Venezuela

That is the great thing. Being a greater market many SDK software will be available for us Inspire 1 users (phantom3 and inspire1 use the same platform). Finally, the Phantom3 release is giving us some positive assets
2015-6-10
Use props
GrahamJ
lvl.4
Australia

So, I never heard anything back!  I take it I was not successful in been part of this?  Jeez...would have been nice to have at least receive a rejection letter!  No where did it state that it's a limited seat number!  Bad form!  Really bad form!
2015-6-17
Use props
capalvch
lvl.3
Venezuela

GrahamJ Posted at 2015-6-17 21:05
So, I never heard anything back!  I take it I was not successful in been part of this?  Jeez...would ...

I didn't get any other response after the  first one. They should at least advice that they don't need us.
2015-6-17
Use props
GrahamJ
lvl.4
Australia

Could not agree with you more!  It's all just a little 'off'...
2015-6-18
Use props
a_bbosman.hotma
New

Germany

It's about time for the "autopilot"  feature. hopefully with photogrammetry tool
2015-6-18
Use props
autoflightlogic
lvl.2

United States

Autopilot is ready for beta testing, we are just waiting for Apple and DJI to work out the MFi program entitlement. We are posting updates here:
http://www.inspirepilots.com/threads/autopilot-beta-test.3389/
2015-6-27
Use props
Overmind
lvl.4
Australia

autoflightlogic Posted at 2015-6-28 03:00
Autopilot is ready for beta testing, we are just waiting for Apple and DJI to work out the MFi progr ...

Thanks for the update.  It's more than we've received at all.  May I ask why there's updates on a 3rd party forum, and not on DJI's own?

Regardless, thanks...  

Ps....are you involved at all in the development or the general project surrounding this feature?
2015-6-27
Use props
autoflightlogic
lvl.2

United States

Overmind Posted at 2015-6-28 14:22
Thanks for the update.  It's more than we've received at all.  May I ask why there's updates on a  ...

We try to maintain updates on all the forums, but it is hard to keep all the threads up to date all the time.

As far as development, yes, I am the lead developer at Autoflight Logic.

-Jim
2015-6-30
Use props
Overmind
lvl.4
Australia

autoflightlogic Posted at 2015-6-30 22:54
We try to maintain updates on all the forums, but it is hard to keep all the threads up to date al ...

Jim,

Firstly, thanks for responding, as a community, we've had communication challenges generally.  To the point, though...

This forum is the official DJI forum.  If you can, from time to time, publish a new thread informing us if the latest status on this forum, that would be AWESOME!

Then, something we are all going crazy about...PLEASE can you just let us know when you anticipate having the Autopilot feature ready for us?  We don't want you to comment  to stuff you can't due to NDA, but surely, someone in your position can appreciate the commercial value of adequate transparency in maintaining customer satisfaction?

Here's hoping...
2015-6-30
Use props
autoflightlogic
lvl.2

United States

Overmind Posted at 2015-6-30 23:18
Jim,

Firstly, thanks for responding, as a community, we've had communication challenges generally ...

Yes, we will do better to keep the DJI threads updated in the future.

When you say Autopilot feature, is there a particular feature you are referring to, or just he whole app?

As far as the app release, we have been ready to start the beta for several weeks now, but the exact date is out of our hands due to the DJI and Apple MFi issue. The app itself is already very stable and our goal is to be in beta for no more than a few weeks.
2015-6-30
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

autoflightlogic Posted at 2015-6-28 03:00
Autopilot is ready for beta testing, we are just waiting for Apple and DJI to work out the MFi progr ...

Jim,

Why not post updates on the actual DJI forum, we have been crying out for updates for months and just get silence.

I would like to see the automated flight also incorporate features to allow the camera to record still images so many seconds e.g. every 3 seconds to ensure overlap of images (could this be automated with the altitude and speed selected ?), setting of altitude and speed, grid pattern, circular cone patterns for e.g. inspection of towers.  This may prove difficult if there is no point of interest function, could this be utilised with ground reference points so many metres form the point of interest or perhaps GPS coordinates for the approximate centre.  Would there be a way of incorporating or picking up temporary ground points for overlaying onto known maps, perhaps using standard survey target plates.

Look forward to the release in due course and hope DJI and APPLE can collaborate to allow an early release, we have all been very patient waiting for this.  Is this to be provided by way of a free update to the iOS App.

2015-6-30
Use props
stephen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1930883 ft

United Kingdom

GB44 Posted at 2015-7-1 04:15
Jim,

Why not post updates on the actual DJI forum, we have been crying out for updates for months  ...

GB, check out their website http://autoflightlogic.com/beta/autopilotdji#features.  While there appears to be many useful & interesting features on the app, to me it doesn't look like it has the ability to plot way points etc for grid flying?....

Hopefully I stand to be correct, perhaps Jim @ Autoflightlogic could clarify what the App's way point capabilities are?

Many Thanks
Stephen
2015-7-1
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

stephen Posted at 2015-7-1 19:25
GB, check out their website http://autoflightlogic.com/beta/autopilotdji#features.  While there ap ...

For me, grid flightpaths and also "normal" waypoints to set a specific flying route so I can concentrate on adjusting the gimbal, is the important functions. Maybe I don't understand the app completely by reading the features, but it seems to me that most flight modes are modes that point to the pilots position. My interest is not making advanced selfies ;) But I do look forward to the app as it have some nice functions!
2015-7-1
Use props
Overmind
lvl.4
Australia

GB44 Posted at 2015-7-1 04:15
Jim,

Why not post updates on the actual DJI forum, we have been crying out for updates for months  ...

Totally agreed, and my point to Autoflightlogic in my post to him.  There's been hundreds of requests to whomever would listen for just some basic updates on this.

I'm glad we got to the point at least of having Autoflightlogic as a go-to-contact.

My worry, is that it seems beta testing have not even started, after all these months.  Not their fault, but, poor expectation management on the part of DJI.
2015-7-1
Use props
Overmind
lvl.4
Australia

autoflightlogic Posted at 2015-7-1 02:05
Yes, we will do better to keep the DJI threads updated in the future.

When you say Autopilot feat ...

Jim, thanks for that...it's been 100% more than what we've received from DJI to-date.

May I ask what MFI is?  Also, if beta testing is still - at best - weeks away, I suppose release to market is still some time off?

Honestly, we're not keeping you to these, as we understand its estimates.  It's just completely mind blowing that this is the first bit of actual, usable data we receive, and to be honest, it's a bit disheartening, given that this app/set of features where marketed as part of the original release 7 months ago, and then claimed to be "imminent" which is already 3 months ago.
2015-7-1
Use props
Overmind
lvl.4
Australia

stephen Posted at 2015-7-1 19:25
GB, check out their website http://autoflightlogic.com/beta/autopilotdji#features.  While there ap ...

Hope we are wrong.  It's still only for the P2.  So, have to believe that the version they're currently putting through dev/test includes what we all believe to be included...
2015-7-1
Use props
stephen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1930883 ft

United Kingdom

Overmind Posted at 2015-7-1 21:14
Hope we are wrong.  It's still only for the P2.  So, have to believe that the version they're curr ...

Hope so too mate, I'll wait for some clarification.
2015-7-1
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Stephen,

Just had a look at that.

Must admit theres nothing there that ticks the box at the minute for automated flights, waypoints and programming of altitude and speed etc to capture images along pre-defined route be it grid layout etc.

Will just have to wait and see what it eventually contains, but slightly disappointed at what I have seen.  Hope it proves me wrong wgen it is eventually released.
A little disappointed also that some features wont work with iPAD Mini 3 and you need an iPAD Air for baraometer.

I was expecting it to simply work via teh existing DJI Pilot App platform which works perfectly with iPAD Mini 3 even without teh cellular option.
2015-7-1
Use props
autoflightlogic
lvl.2

United States

To address several questions:
- MFi is Apple's "Made for iPhone" program, which is what the P3 and Inspire 1 RC rely on since they are connected directly to the device.
- Waypoints and a bunch of other cool stuff will be coming in future updates.
- There are plenty of alternate focus strategies besides the device: http://autoflightlogic.com/beta/ ... htschool#mode-focus
- The current version in the app store only supports the P2, but v2.0 will support P3 and Inspire 1 as well
- v2.0 will not require devices with GPS (cellular iPads), and it will make use of the RC GPS when it can (Inspire 1)
- You don't have to use the iPad Air 2 with barometer, it will just limit the dynamic altimeter reference accuracy (to GPS if it has it, or no dynamic altimeter reference if not)
2015-7-1
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

autoflightlogic Posted at 2015-7-2 10:44
- MFi is Apple's "Made for iPhone" program, which is what the P3 and I ...

Thank you for the update. Hope you'll add grid routes and camera trigger, and most importantly, waypoints soon. When doing commercial work, those two are probably the most important functions together with POI.

Hope DJI/Apple sort things out soon.
2015-7-1
Use props
greg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 265495 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hi Jim. So just to clarify, if I get an iPad Air 2 without Cellular i should be able to use all functionality of app now that the app incorporates using the RC GPS of Inspire 1?  
Is there any reason I would want to get the Air 2 with Cellular (which means getting it with GPS)?
2015-7-2
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Will there be any functions to set and record still images every so many seconds during the automated flight for example when flying a grid pattern, also what about setting of aircraft speed and altitude during automated flight
2015-7-2
Use props
autoflightlogic
lvl.2

United States

Rob-

Beyond the obvious things like dropping pins for the waypoints, can you elaborate on what kinds of mode controls you would like to see for waypoint and grid mode? If possible before responding, take a look through the current modes to get a feel for how we think about controls for the existing modes:
http://autoflightlogic.com/beta/ ... /flightschool#modes

Greg-

We have noticed that the GPS signal from the iOS device can be more reliable in some cases, but that may be circumstantial to our location and/or specific RC and we will continue to test. We are also ordering a Dual Electronics XGPS150A to test, specifically for P3 owners with wifi only iPads, since the P3 RC does not have GPS:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product ... _detailpage_o01_s01

GB44-

It may be possible to include the auto-capture still image functionality in v2.0, but grid mode will likely come in a future release. To clarify, when auto-capture is enabled, do you want the ability to focus on the same POI (like the cell tower) or just a manually specified gimbal pitch/yaw, or both options?
2015-7-2
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

autoflightlogic Posted at 2015-7-2 19:12
Rob-

Beyond the obvious things like dropping pins for the waypoints, can you elaborate on what kind ...

Hi,

I guess things will perhaps be somewhat easier to understand when you actually have the app and can test. But what I would like to see is:

Waypoints:
Be able to drop waypoint pins on a map. Click the pin to set aircraft height and also aircraft nose direction at the waypoint. (In between waypoints the aircraft turns smoothly so it reaches the goal nose direction at the different waypoints). I also would like to be able to set aircraft speed.

This flight mode lets the pilot concentrate on the gimbal movement in all directions.

Grid mode:
Be able to draw a rectangle on the map that will contain a grid. After the rectangle is drawn, the user can set the height for the grid flight and also specify the number of flight lines in the grid and distance between the lines. I would also like to be able  to rotate the grid on the map. If technically possible, I would like to insert points on the lines where the camera will take a picture, and/or be able to set the camera to take a picture every [number] second. I also would like to be able to set aircraft speed.

This flight mode will make it easy to make mosaic photos of the ground for further image analysis.

Thank you for your posting and questions. If I can do anything else to help out, I will! Don't hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,
Rob
2015-7-2
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules