Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
OTG with Android and Spark help please!
4732 23 2019-5-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KHolsen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 22674 ft
United States

Hey folks, I still fairly new to Drones but am attempting to learn to utilize them with my work as an archaeologist. Flown a few times on the Wi-Fi and have no issues except lag which keeps me from getting photos centered properly.

My question is basically this; how do you use the OTG cable ? I have watched various videos and most are for IoS products, which I do not own. Im an android os guy.
Fund a few videos and such for android and watched them all several times.
I have a dual micro USB cable, one end is marked "host". I have tried the following sequence to hook up with the OTG.
Phone is in airplane mode and DJI Go4 (Fully updatedas of yesterday) is off. Turn on RC, turn on AC, attach cable to RC after green light comes on. Attach cable to phone, start Go4 app. It NEVER hooks up, just says disconnected. I have tried swapping the cable ends but dosent seem to matter. All firmware is updated, phone is updated.
Am I doing something wrong? Is it just a phone issue? Im using a Kyocera Brigadier which is not on the list but runs the app fine.

2019-5-3
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day KHolsen. I am sorry for the trouble and for the reaching out. Have you tried using a different recommended mobile device to see if the issue will still persist? Upon checking the mobile device Kyocera Brigadier. As you have said the mobile device is still not recommended for your DJI Spark as of the moment. Actually, there is a  possibility that the Kyocera Brigadier will be able to work with the said drone, however, since it's not yet optimized with the DJI Spark and with the DJI Go 4 application we cannot guaranteed the stability of the Kyocera Brigadier when in use with the said device and with the said application and if this will work all the time while using the specific device.  We highly suggest you use the compatible device that was listed on the recommended mobile device list below to avoid any inconvenience and any problem. Thank you.

2019-5-3
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Is any device getting charged?
That is the minimum that should happen:
RC charges phone = right direction
phone charges  RC = wrong direction
(RC is host!)

If non of the devices gets charged: use a different cable for another test!
2019-5-3
Use props
KHolsen
lvl.2
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 5-3 11:09
Is any device getting charged?
That is the minimum that should happen:
RC charges phone = right direction

RC will not charge my phone but phone will charge RC. Tried a couple of different cables with adapters but no dice.
2019-5-3
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

Switch the cable plugs, you are connecting the cable in the wrong direction!
The RC HAS to charge the phone.
Just when that happens, the otg technic can connect RC and phone.
Right now your phone is just a powerbank for the RC.
2019-5-3
Use props
akara89
New

United States

are you sure Android app is updated on your phone ? Search on google you will get latest version

Official store : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dji.go.v4
Other store : https://www.apkmirrorapk.com/dji-go-4-for-drones-since-p4-4-3-16-apk-download.html
2019-5-4
Use props
akara89
New

United States

In Latest version , most of bugs will fix.
2019-5-4
Use props
KHolsen
lvl.2
United States

I appreciate all the help from other users! I really do.

Go4 app is fully updated, just double checked. I have tried 3 different cables now, 2 of them using 3 different adapters in various combinations. No dice. Also RC is not charging the phone sti, beginning to think it has something to do with connectivity settings. I have access to a couple of tablets and will try those after fiddling with the connectivity settings.
This was supposed to be an easy superior way to fly the Spark!
2019-5-4
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

Since your phone is charging the RC, it is not so difficult, mate!
In case you phone is still on Droid 4.4, you need an older app for sure!
So best you would tell us the specs of your phone.

But first things first:
As long the phone is charging the RC, THE CABLE IS REVERSED.
Turn it around.

Is the phone charging?

2019-5-4
Use props
KHolsen
lvl.2
United States

Phone is running Droid 5.1.1, has 1.4 GHz processor, and 2GB of RAM.
It does not charge from the controller but the RC is not charging when I have the cable set where the RC is the "Host". My phone doesn't like to charge from anything other than the actual charger.
Tries hooking everything up with my wifes tablet, it did not connect but at least registered that the RC was attached. The tablet is a Samsung TabE and is way too big anyways, even if it wasnt my wife's.
2019-5-4
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

KHolsen Posted at 5-4 14:19
Phone is running Droid 5.1.1, has 1.4 GHz processor, and 2GB of RAM.
It does not charge from the controller but the RC is not charging when I have the cable set where the RC is the "Host". My phone doesn't like to charge from anything other than the actual charger.
Tries hooking everything up with my wifes tablet, it did not connect but at least registered that the RC was attached. The tablet is a Samsung TabE and is way too big anyways, even if it wasnt my wife's.

I'd say that specs are at the limit.
But since it was working in wifi mode, with just the "usual" lag, that should not stop it from connecting via otg (imho)

So check in the usb settings, what is different to your wifes tab!
Minimum your phone needs to recognize that it did connect to a usb-charger, I'd say.
What is happening if plugged to a computer usb port?
If it does not charge, get into the USB-settings and change it to mass storage mode, perhaps!
2019-5-4
Use props
KHolsen
lvl.2
United States

Ok, I enabled developer mode and now my phone will at least say the RC is connected but will not give me the "Go Fly" option, it still says enter device and only says it is connected if I attach to the Wi-Fi and then disconnect that.. When attached to a computer it lets me transfer files, just as it should. Looks like my best bet now is wait till I get some overtime and buy one of the "supported" devices.
I appreciate the help by the way.
2019-5-5
Use props
MeatWagon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 415630 ft
United States

KHolsen Posted at 5-5 09:14
Ok, I enabled developer mode and now my phone will at least say the RC is connected but will not give me the "Go Fly" option, it still says enter device and only says it is connected if I attach to the Wi-Fi and then disconnect that.. When attached to a computer it lets me transfer files, just as it should. Looks like my best bet now is wait till I get some overtime and buy one of the "supported" devices.
I appreciate the help by the way.

Before you go out and get a new device I would try getting a new cable. I have found the Spark RC to be very sensitive to cheap or worn cables.

https://www.amazon.com/BTG-Braid ... gateway&sr=8-26

I recommend one like this. Notice the straight connector on one end has the same square micro usb on it that the controller does? I've found this is the key to a longer lasting cable. It's worth a try to just pick up one of these before spending a bunch of money you may not need to.
2019-5-5
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

How about trying an older app?
Get the 4.2.21 from apkmirror, for a test!
2019-5-5
Use props
SlowSL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8409 ft
United States

KHolsen Posted at 5-4 08:23
I appreciate all the help from other users! I really do.

Go4 app is fully updated, just double checked. I have tried 3 different cables now, 2 of them using 3 different adapters in various combinations. No dice. Also RC is not charging the phone sti, beginning to think it has something to do with connectivity settings. I have access to a couple of tablets and will try those after fiddling with the connectivity settings.

My friend just tried using his phone with an adapter and a few different cables, with no luck.  I gave him mine to try and it worked.  Mine is a single cable, no adapters purchased from Ebay.  Looks like sometimes things get a little goofy using adapters.  I'd suggest finding a cable online that is one piece.  They also make them for phones with non-standard plugs, such as the Galaxy S9.
2019-5-6
Use props
KHolsen
lvl.2
United States

I have this cable https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0744BW2B2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1   
  but Ill try another one especially since Im already ordering a battery retainer clip for my Spark.
I'll also look at the older app. Hoping I can go fly today or tomorrow and get some more pics and/or video to share here. Heres a couple I took on early test flights.

2019-5-6
Use props
KHolsen
lvl.2
United States

MeatWagon Posted at 5-5 10:58
Before you go out and get a new device I would try getting a new cable. I have found the Spark RC to be very sensitive to cheap or worn cables.

https://www.amazon.com/BTG-Braided-Control-Connected-Android/dp/B075N4FNRQ/ref=sr_1_26?keywords=micro+usb+to+micro+usb+otg+cable+dji&qid=1557082573&s=gateway&sr=8-26

Got the cable you suggested and still no dice. Just says RC Connected and Enter Device turns blue. Attached a picture so y'all can see what Im talking about. Tried cable the other way around but one end will not fit in my phone or any tablet I have. Even had another cable shipped to me because I thought maybe they sent the wrong one. Going to try rolling back the firmware in the next day or so to see if that works.
2019-5-12
Use props
fans812df717
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1092280 ft
United States

Ok, give this one a try, it worked for me:
1) power off phone, remote, ac
2) power on ac, remote, phone (in wifi mode but NOT Spark remote!!)
3) when you have connection between ac and remote, activate DJI GO 4
4) you should NOT be able to FLY because you are in regular wifi mode
5) plug in HOST end of cable to remote, other end to phone
6) hopefully you get message on phone about slow charging, this is good!
7) you may be prompted if you want phone to always accept this setting for DJI GO4, click yes
8) watch the app to see if FLY is coming up, if yes, you did it!
Good luck!
2019-5-12
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

Ok, have you tried the connection strategy from before otg was official?
Try:
KILL the Go4 task!
Start RC, plug cable into phone
Wait till RC LED is red, plug RC side in
This should start the Go4
Start the bird, LED goes green (RC connected with bird) "Enter device" should become "go fly"

If that does not work, get an 4.1.15 on your phone and try again
2019-5-12
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
lvl.4

Hungary

KHolsen Posted at 5-12 09:24
Got the cable you suggested and still no dice. Just says RC Connected and Enter Device turns blue. Attached a picture so y'all can see what Im talking about. Tried cable the other way around but one end will not fit in my phone or any tablet I have. Even had another cable shipped to me because I thought maybe they sent the wrong one. Going to try rolling back the firmware in the next day or so to see if that works. [view_image]

I think this is not an OTG error, because the GO4 is "RC connected". I think the application handles it incorrectly. Either the Android on phone or the Go4 app is wrong.
Try the previous 4.1.15. or version 4.1.15 mod2.
2019-5-12
Use props
GetHigh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 163619 ft
United States

I went through a lot of what you are experiencing. In my case I had to upgrade my phone. I went to a Galaxy S7.  I do not need to be in Airplane Mode or anything else.  You have been given very good advice. The first thing is to get an adapter that will allow you to reverse the directions of the cables. OTG allows selection of "Host" control.  Usually via direction of OTG cable / adapter.  I use the long USB cable that came with the Spark and ordered the DJI OTG adapter.  I have found that it does not seem to matter which device is turned on first--- most of the time. Now, I merely hook up the cables--- Adapter Micro end into RC, USB A  cable into Adapter, Micro USB cable into cell phone.  Then turn on the RC. (This will auto-start the GO4 app. however I don't touch it, yet. Then turn on the AC. Wait until Green light on RC, Now select Go Fly on the App. If you still have a problem, slide down from the top, on the cell phone. Select USB options. See what it lists. You might select MIDI. It will still revert back to what it needs.  Follow S-e-ven's instructions. As they said, if the AC is charging the RC, the cable is backwards.  Noticeable image delay is gone.  Now I just wish I could override the RC charging the Cell phone. It drains the RC faster than desired.
2019-5-13
Use props
romolo8
lvl.2
  • >>>
Italy

I have same problem with samsung tab s2, before downloading dji go4 I notice "the device may not be compatible". Why? I have a phone as old as World War II and it's perfect, absurd
2019-5-13
Use props
KHolsen
lvl.2
United States

I realize this is a bit of a thread necro but thought I would update anyways. I finally managed to use the OTG cable by getting a new device that is o the  "approved" list. Picked up a refurbished Samsung Note 4. Connection process I use is: AC on, RC connected to phone, Go4 is off, turn on RC and when it connects Go4 opens automatically. I do fly with the phone in airplane mode. Lag is much less of an issue and control seems to be  improved as well.
2019-7-14
Use props
Tentoes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

Glad it's sorted.

Yea, my "Motorola Droid Turbo" flew a spark a year ago with no trouble, but this spring would not do it at all. Spark and remote would not connect in the presence of the phone. "Well, I was going to update my phone anyhow." I went to phantomhelp.com and printed out their list of android devices people like and took it to the phone store. Came out with a Galaxy S10+ that works very nicely. Even bright enough to use in the sunlight, though it helps to find some shade.
2019-7-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules