1155 18 2019-5-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Satureyes
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524908 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If anyone is interested - I just did a quick edit of some stuff shot in D-Cinelike and edited down on FCPX.

All shot on manual 4k 50p 1/50th shutter speed, but output 24p in HD. Some shots cropped in too.

Used Polar Pro ND filters on the outdoor stuff. ND8 and 16 mainly but we are not blessed with so much sun in the UK

2019-5-4
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Satureyes. Thank you for sharing this wonderful video you have captured and on how you created it. Great work and thank you for your support.
2019-5-4
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-4 16:22
Hello and good day Satureyes. Thank you for sharing this wonderful video you have captured and on how you created it. Great work and thank you for your support.

You're welcome - not sure what that other attachment was but I removed it!
2019-5-4
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Nice video, the color grade of the whole video is very great. I enjoy the video so much, thank for sharing.
2019-5-4
Use props
cosmic68
Second Officer
Flight distance : 89042 ft
United Kingdom

Double post, sorry
2019-5-5
Use props
cosmic68
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Very nice! Your ninja walk is excellent. Nice composition in shots.

I’m from UK too so been cursing the weather as want to practice with my ND’s but it’s sunny for 5 seconds, then cloudy for 5-so annoying

Also how did you find colour correcting with cinelike when weather is greyish? I find it a bit tricky. (Your footage looks fine).
2019-5-5
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

cosmic68 Posted at 5-5 00:40
Very nice! Your ninja walk is excellent. Nice composition in shots.

I’m from UK too so been cursing the weather as want to practice with my ND’s but it’s sunny for 5 seconds, then cloudy for 5-so annoying

Well.. the day I shot this it actually was quite nice and sunny.
D-cine isn't the saviour of footage on the Pocket - I sometimes don't even grade it at all. I don't like the standard colours it pumps out and much prefer the Cinelike muted colours, especially in skin tones.

A small confession is that I've been shooting and editing video for around 20+ years so most of it is muscle memory now
2019-5-5
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

A sort of sepia look, it seems to me.  Not a big fan of it myself but it's obviously a very personal thing.
2019-5-5
Use props
cosmic68
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Satureyes Posted at 5-5 00:46
Well.. the day I shot this it actually was quite nice and sunny.
D-cine isn't the saviour of footage on the Pocket - I sometimes don't even grade it at all. I don't like the standard colours it pumps out and much prefer the Cinelike muted colours, especially in skin tones.

Interesting. So are there any circumstances you would use the ‘normal’ colour profile?

I did read somewhere that cinelike inherently introduces noise to picture, have you found that a problem/issue?
2019-5-5
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

Sharp sharp very nice footage!
2019-5-5
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Nicely done, wonderful video
2019-5-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Satureyes Posted at 5-4 16:25
You're welcome - not sure what that other attachment was but I removed it!

It is always my pleasure Satureyes. Have a safe and happy filming always.
2019-5-5
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 5-5 02:17
A sort of sepia look, it seems to me.  Not a big fan of it myself but it's obviously a very personal thing.

Thats my grade - the original footage was 'warm' so I made it a little more moody.
2019-5-5
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

cosmic68 Posted at 5-5 03:05
Interesting. So are there any circumstances you would use the ‘normal’ colour profile?

I did read somewhere that cinelike inherently introduces noise to picture, have you found that a problem/issue?

To be honest I don't have such high expectations of the Pocket. The issue I've seen on here and other forms is that people really expect way too much for what this camera is.

Cinelike is just somewhat more natural to my eye than standard. I don't think it gives any more lattitude (or takes any away) when it comes to grading. There's no magic behind it, it's not a 'flat' profile - and even if it was (and I've discussed this ad-nauseum in this forum and others) there is simply not enough colour information there to do a proper grade anyway.

I am more than happy to shoot on fully auto and I am not ashamed to admit it. Not everything has to be a 'cinematic masterpiece'. If you shoot in standard colour I could just as easily dial it down in the edit, do IMO you don't really gain much on a technical level with Cinelike - I used it to save me time in edit. It may even be true the standard profile records at a higher VBR than Cinelike but you know what - I don't care. I actually prefer the out of the box tones that D-Cinelike gives and would be ok to work on the footage with no grading.

For me - I'd not have shot that stuff in Bath had I not had the Pocket with me. I have plenty of video making kit right up to proper cameras but I'd not take it with me for a weekend trip somewhere. Now the Pocket sits in my.. well.. pocket.. mostly I don't even attach it to my phone.

I wouldn't worry about getting hung up about stuff like colour profiles and what not. I enjoy using the camera. Not all my work is a full blown production.

People like to add stuff to the pocket to try and make it something it's not. Ultimately the camera is the camera regardless of what you hang off it. If you need the flexibility of grading, pro audio and so on then there are a tonne of options.

Just use what's right at the time.
2019-5-5
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Stunning video
2019-5-5
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Satureyes Posted at 5-5 10:51
To be honest I don't have such high expectations of the Pocket. The issue I've seen on here and other forms is that people really expect way too much for what this camera is.

Cinelike is just somewhat more natural to my eye than standard. I don't think it gives any more lattitude (or takes any away) when it comes to grading. There's no magic behind it, it's not a 'flat' profile - and even if it was (and I've discussed this ad-nauseum in this forum and others) there is simply not enough colour information there to do a proper grade anyway.

Satureyes, love the slow zoom and reveal  'effect' - someones got a good ninja walk !

A question regarding frame rates, when filming in 50 fps - would conversion to 24 fps not give a mismatched frame rate ?  not that I can see any , hence the reason for asking.

I initially thought that filming everything in 60fps would give more margin for slowing down in post,
ie 60 > 24 = 2.5x ( but still not a whole number ')
2019-5-7
Use props
EnricoBrun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 917087 ft
Italy

Satureyes Posted at 5-5 10:51
To be honest I don't have such high expectations of the Pocket. The issue I've seen on here and other forms is that people really expect way too much for what this camera is.

how are Polar Pro filters, scratch the Opocket lens !?  thx
2019-5-7
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

EnricoBrun Posted at 5-7 15:14
how are Polar Pro filters, scratch the Opocket lens !?  thx

Nope they dont touch the lens?
2019-5-16
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MKosmo Posted at 5-7 09:49
Satureyes, love the slow zoom and reveal  'effect' - someones got a good ninja walk !

A question regarding frame rates, when filming in 50 fps - would conversion to 24 fps not give a mismatched frame rate ?  not that I can see any , hence the reason for asking.

Actually I use FCPX so when I chose the 'use automatic speed' it sets the % slowdown in relation to the timeline.

I think there's a lot of rendering and interpolation in FCPX to get the frame rates looking fine. In theory I should probably use a 25p timeline and shoot at 50p
2019-5-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules