DANGER! FlySafe won't work on Smart Controller.
2923 10 2019-5-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Billboyheritagesurvey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

I read with some concern this thread: https://forum.dji.com/thread-188315-1-1.html which describes the loss of a Mavic by flying into a 'popup' NFZ. To prevent incursion DJI will land the drone at the point of contact with the NFZ- it does not RTH. Hence the distress. The best advice offered to the pilot is to check DJI geofencing with the Fly Safe Geo Zone app before flight.  

I have been trying to get reliable performance of the app on the Smart Controller without sucess. It seems to be browser dependant (only woks on Lightning) and intermittent in finding my location. This seems to be linked to a failure to use the Google Mobie Sevices aspect of Android. Despite some Google services being restored by the 4.3.16 patch most mapping aps fail including the CAAs DroneSafe app.

If I look at the location mode settings I find I have 'Device only' as my only option, if I try and use the 'High accuracy' mode it is rejected.

These tools are key to safe operation and should be available on the controller.

2019-5-5
Use props
Billboyheritagesurvey
lvl.4
United Kingdom

By loading the Geo Zone map from inside DJIGo4 I get this view:

2019-5-5
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

So, DJI's own app does not work properly???
2019-5-5
Use props
Billboyheritagesurvey
lvl.4
United Kingdom

ff22 Posted at 5-5 07:44
So, DJI's own app does not work properly???

Looks like it. the cut down Android is missing the bit that allows it to use Google Maps. The GeoZone map needs that.
2019-5-6
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

Billboyheritagesurvey Posted at 5-6 00:36
Looks like it. the cut down Android is missing the bit that allows it to use Google Maps. The GeoZone map needs that.

I've noticed a number of 3rd party apps that have mapping options have problems due to the failure to support the needed underlying google services.  My wind app, weather app and a tides app.

But DJI's own app -well, that is nonsense!
2019-5-6
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

I was following this thread, looks that there is a lot of misinformation on th OP, as he didn't mention he was flying Litchi (on regular RC). Things got a little hot there after some rough discussions... As for the FlySafe, it works normally on my SC. Are you accessing it trough the DJI Go app? I have to mention that I input my location manually. I made this way and it works for me.
2019-5-6
Use props
Billboyheritagesurvey
lvl.4
United Kingdom

ro_flyer Posted at 5-6 23:18
I was following this thread, looks that there is a lot of misinformation on th OP, as he didn't mention he was flying Litchi (on regular RC). Things got a little hot there after some rough discussions... As for the FlySafe, it works normally on my SC. Are you accessing it trough the DJI Go app? I have to mention that I input my location manually. I made this way and it works for me.

This post is not about the no RTH & pop up NFZ Litchi issue (the info on Litchi came out after I started this thread).

My concern here is access to flight info maps on the SC.

Tell me how you got the GeoZone to work. I open it from an option in DJIGO4 and sometimes it opens, usually centred on Beijing,  but most often doesn't work at all. With many retries and after getting a GPS fix in GPS Status app I got the screen shot above and ... I have found its missing a lot of UK NFZ data  ( I live in one that's not mapped).

The problem gets worse when I try to load the CAA official NFZ 'Dronesafe' app Drone Assist: it just doesn't work.  

I do not exaggerate when I say 'DANGER'. If I don't know if its safe to fly what's the worst that could happen?  
2019-5-7
Use props
Billboyheritagesurvey
lvl.4
United Kingdom

UPDATE: After working through the steps (not all of which were successful) here: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=178124&pid=1823988 I have been able to get CAAs Drone Assist to work but the location service is shaky.

Adding some of the missing Google components improved the performance of DJI Flight restrictions map DJIGeoZone ( when it works) gives me this: which is missing my loacal NFZ.

The NATS/CAA Drone Assist gives me this:

Spot the difference!
2019-5-8
Use props
Billboyheritagesurvey
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Billboyheritagesurvey Posted at 5-8 00:58
UPDATE: After working through the steps (not all of which were successful) here: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=178124&pid=1823988 I have been able to get CAAs Drone Assist to work but the location service is shaky.

Adding some of the missing Google components improved the performance of DJI Flight restrictions map DJIGeoZone ( when it works) gives me this: [view_image] which is missing my loacal NFZ.

Some useful progress on the 3rd party Apps issue:

https://www.certifiedaerials.com/info/how-to-install-google-play-store-on-dji-smart-controller

This fix requires a factory reset but worth the hassle.

With all the components of Google services loaded correctly DJI GeoZone is far more stable. It is still missing my local NFZ but does find my location.
2019-5-23
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

Billboyheritagesurvey Posted at 5-23 01:05
Some useful progress on the 3rd party Apps issue:

https://www.certifiedaerials.com ... ji-smart-controller

I followed those steps yesterday and it appears to work for some stuff.  I have not tried the apps mentioned in this thread but Google Maps worked, my WA tide map worked.  UAV seems to have worked.

I did NOT wipe the device.  I figured I would try it without and then wipe if necessary.  We shall see.
2019-5-23
Use props
Billboyheritagesurvey
lvl.4
United Kingdom

ff22 Posted at 5-23 05:02
I followed those steps yesterday and it appears to work for some stuff.  I have not tried the apps mentioned in this thread but Google Maps worked, my WA tide map worked.  UAV seems to have worked.

I did NOT wipe the device.  I figured I would try it without and then wipe if necessary.  We shall see.

I think the re-set is something of a precautionary measure: I had various prior attempts to load the Google Services Framework which I think didn't allow the Device+ID app to work.
2019-5-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules