Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
please delete.
3923 30 2015-6-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jmhirtle
lvl.1
Flight distance : 118845 ft

Canada

please delete.
2015-6-7
Use props
fhagan02
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1854908 ft
United States

Hey jmhirtle, I don't know if I have the answer for Canadians but try here first.....
http://www.modelaircraft.org

Academy of Model Aeronautics. If they don't offer memberships with liability insurance for Canadians I'll bet they can direct you to an organization/company that can.
Thought I'd go ahead and send you this info first. I joined for the liability insurance (on other benefits) for about $60 a year. This includes 2.5 million dollar liability insurance + more. (Screen grab attached from membership page with more benefits)

Hope this helps.
Screen Shot 2015-06-07 at 9.43.51 AM.png
2015-6-7
Use props
Total
First Officer
Flight distance : 336480 ft
Canada

Call your house insurance company and see if they will cover the liability insurance.  My house insurance covers me up to 1million dollars anywhere in the world. For liability.
2015-6-7
Use props
jimmyd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 219275 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I have a $2,000,000 liability policy with Inter City Insurance which covers my P2V+ and P3.  I believe they are in Aurora, Ontario.  I am in Atlantic Canada.  I do not have there contact details handy now but if you PM me I will follow up with you with their details. (IS there a PM hear?   Just respond if you want the details)
2015-6-7
Use props
jmhirtle
lvl.1

Canada

jimmyd@houssen. Posted at 2015-6-8 03:21
I have a $2,000,000 liability policy with Inter City Insurance which covers my P2V+ and P3.  I belie ...

I too am in Atlantic Canada, i've tried to contact a few out of province providers but they only do inside the province (Alberta, Ontario).

Maybe you can email the details to me? jmhirtle @ gmail . com. The PM function appears to be disabled.
Thanks,
2015-6-7
Use props
jmhirtle
lvl.1

Canada

fhagan02@me.com Posted at 2015-6-7 21:47
Hey jmhirtle, I don't know if I have the answer for Canadians but try here first.....
http://www.mod ...

The MAAC has insurance but from my understanding it is only applicable to club events or gatherings. It doesn't apply to personal operations.

They also have a "special" idea of the difference between a model aircraft and a multirotor aircraft. From their FAQ section it seems like they would likely try to classify my Phantom 3 as a UAV which would exempt it from coverage.

"Transport Canada defines an unmanned air vehicle as a power-driven aircraft, other than a model aircraft, that is designed to fly without a human operator on board.

Transport Canada defines a model aircraft as an aircraft, the total weight of which does not exceed 35 kg (77.2 pounds), that is mechanically driven or launched into flight for recreational purposes and that is not designed to carry persons or other living creatures.

MAAC insurance provides cover for model aircraft as defined by Transport Canada and radio controlled models must also be flown in direct line of sight. Any other type of radio-controlled flying machine is classified as a UAV.

UAV operation may be for commercial or recreational purposes. Our coverage does not extend to any type of UAV.

Note that operation of a UAV without Transport Canada approval has an individual penalty of $5,000.00."
2015-6-7
Use props
jack1144
lvl.4

Canada

jimmyd would you mind sharing the approx. cost of 2mil insurance
I'm going to contact innercity. They are in Aurora Ontario (googled it)
Just wanted a reference price
Thx
2015-6-7
Use props
mcrs
lvl.1
Canada

Are you flying for recreational or commercial/business use?
2015-6-7
Use props
kenmasters
lvl.1

Canada

Ping me too, I live in Ontario.    Transport canada recommends 100K liability insurance regardless if its commercial or recreational.   
2015-6-8
Use props
jmhirtle
lvl.1

Canada

mcrs@mark11.com Posted at 2015-6-8 12:29
Are you flying for recreational or commercial/business use?

I  am currently flying recreationally but would like to expand into some small commercial opportunities.
2015-6-8
Use props
mcrs
lvl.1
Canada

jmhirtle@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-9 03:25
I  am currently flying recreationally but would like to expand into some small commercial opportun ...

If you're only flying recreationally with a drone that is less than 2KG, you don't need liability insurance (as I read the infographic posted here on the transport Canada website).

http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/docume ... V_Print_English.pdf

If you want to do any (any) kind of commercial work with your drone (same 2KG or less), you will need to obtain liability insurance specific to the operation of the drone. I have a full commercial liability policy to the tune of $5M for my business, but it doesn't cover aerial operations at all. Most policies have a specific exemption for aviation/aerial operations because of the risk of injury/damage possible. I was able to get a $500K aviation liability insurance policy (after many emails, phone calls, questionnaires etc). Not the simplest thing, but it's doable. The company my insurance broker went through was called 'Catlin Insurance' in BC. I think they specialize in aviation related insurance.

Be prepared for the cost - could be as much as a new P3P - just an FYI.
2015-6-8
Use props
mcrs
lvl.1
Canada

kenmasters Posted at 2015-6-9 02:11
Ping me too, I live in Ontario.    Transport canada recommends 100K liability insurance regardless i ...

Hi Ken - see my reply to jmhirtle.

Also - correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a phantom sized drone operated solely for recreational purposes requires liability insurance for operation - following this TC infographic:

2015-6-8
Use props
jimmyd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 219275 ft
  • >>>
Canada

KenMasters jack1144 and jmhirtle, call 1-888-394-3330  and ask for Shannon.  I would rather not disclose my yearly rate.  Intercity is a broker.  They use another underwriter.
2015-6-8
Use props
kenmasters
lvl.1

Canada

mcrs@mark11.com Posted at 2015-6-9 07:24
Hi Ken - see my reply to jmhirtle.

Also - correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a phantom si ...

That's correct, however, on page 2 bullet 3, it says "Have at least $100,000 liability insurance" even if your exempted.  

I may do commerical if someone hires me, so I don't mind having the insurance.  
2015-6-8
Use props
Rob88
lvl.4

Canada

I don't think you need insurance for a Phantom, which is under 2 kg . . . http://forum.dji.com/thread-17112-1-1.html

By the way, if you are from Canada, this thread could save you a lot of money . . . http://forum.dji.com/thread-19852-1-1.html
2015-6-11
Use props
Total
First Officer
Canada

Rob88 Posted at 2015-6-12 08:37
By the way, if you are from Canada, this thread could save you a lot of money . . . http://forum.dji ...

Rob88 - quit spamming the forum .... At least read the thread BEFORE posting ....
2015-6-11
Use props
Rob88
lvl.4

Canada

Total Posted at 2015-6-12 08:50
Rob88 - quit spamming the forum .... At least read the thread BEFORE posting ....

Thank you for your feedback.  My posts have identified the actual Canadian Regs, the actual Canadian no-fly zones, and the actual Canadian tax implications.  There is a lot of speculation on these forums, I have done my best to provide the facts.

Regs

Air space

Taxes

2015-6-11
Use props
Total
First Officer
Canada

Rob88 Posted at 2015-6-12 09:33
Thank you for your feedback.  My posts have identified the actual Canadian Regs, the actual Canadia ...

This is a thread on BUYING LIABILITY INSURANCE ... ARRRGGG
2015-6-11
Use props
Rob88
lvl.4

Canada

Total Posted at 2015-6-12 09:51
This is a thread on BUYING LIABILITY INSURANCE ... ARRRGGG

ARRRGGG . . . does that mean you are upset?  Yes, this thread is about liability insurance.  Where does the requirement for liability insurance arise?  In the Regs.  So you can all speculate about insurance, or you can read the actual Regs and decide for yourself.  Honestly Total, not quite sure why you are upset.  If you don't like my answer, fine.  But at least I tried to provide a factual answer, not just another opinion.  Anyway, all the best to you, and enjoy your Phantom.
2015-6-11
Use props
jack1144
lvl.4

Canada

Ok thanks jimmyd. Understandable
The regs AS OF NOW.... changing the first of 2016,
are liability insurance is required for commercial operation...$100K minimum
with a SFOC or under exemption it's required( the exemption is for commercial operation)
for personal use it is not required
2015-6-11
Use props
Rob88
lvl.4

Canada

jack1144 Posted at 2015-6-12 10:04
Ok thanks jimmyd. Understandable
The regs AS OF NOW.... changing the first of 2016,
are liability in ...

Yes, that is also my understanding.  Liability insurance will be required for commercial use, not for recreational.
2015-6-11
Use props
Total
First Officer
Canada

Rob88 Posted at 2015-6-12 10:03
ARRRGGG . . . does that mean you are upset?  Yes, this thread is about liability insurance.  Where ...

Not upset at all , actually eating a donut ..  LOL
2015-6-11
Use props
stac57
lvl.3

Canada

I have gotten 2 quotes from:
www.air1insurance.com
For $100,000 and they were $965.00 and $740.00 for the year.

I find that a lot for coverage of such a  small Craft, but if I'm to follow the Canadian rules I need it exempt or not.
Anyone else have a better cheaper option?
2015-6-11
Use props
Total
First Officer
Canada

stac57 Posted at 2015-6-12 11:38
I have gotten 2 quotes from:
www.air1insurance.com
For $100,000 and they were $965.00 and $740.00 fo ...

I called and talked with my House insurance broker , I'm covered for 1 Million whatever I do . And YES even when flying the drone ..  I have it in  writing also ..  
2015-6-11
Use props
jack1144
lvl.4

Canada

Total , if your flying on a personal use basis, that's great but if flying commercially ... you may want to get THAT in writing from the insurance company.
2015-6-11
Use props
babak88
New

Canada

jack1144 Posted at 2015-6-12 00:14
Total , if your flying on a personal use basis, that's great but if flying commercially ... you may  ...

Would you please let me know, do I need liability insurance for PHANTOM 3 PRO  in CANADA? (for personal use only).

Thanks and appreciate.
2015-10-6
Use props
Rigworker
First Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

babak88 Posted at 2015-10-6 21:42
Would you please let me know, do I need liability insurance for PHANTOM 3 PRO  in CANADA? (for per ...

Not yet.  Might want to have some in case you have a crash though.

2015-10-6
Use props
flyingfox
New
Canada

Hi, anyone has a contact? I live in Ontario, thanks.

2016-9-10
Use props
ignacio_b
New

Philippines

I dont know if I answer your question but this might help you in deciding what liability insurance agency to choose you can check this https://www.easycover.ca
2017-5-3
Use props
Joannee
New

Philippines

Hi, i found them very helpful try it here http://coveradvantage.ca/
2017-5-12
Use props
Joannee
New

Philippines

Hi, i found them very helpful try it here coveradvantage.ca