Ronin-S Shaky Footage
4244 14 2019-5-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Droogles
lvl.2

United States

Hello DJI,

My use case is filming restful 45 minute walks. I'm using the Ronin-S with the GH5S, Pana 8-18mm lens with the Rode Stereo Videomic X mounted on the camera. I walk with bended knees leaning forward for 45 minutes. It's exhausting, but that's the advice.

The resulting footage is very shaky and most would say unusable. See below.

• I have the latest firmware.
  • I've reset the gimbal to factory settings several times.
  • I've balanced excellent on all 3.
  • I've auto tuned

What's the problem? Why have a paid 700.00 for a stick that's useless?

Any suggestions to get this fixed before I go buy the Zhiyun Crane 2?
2019-5-5
Use props
Droogles
lvl.2

United States

I'm seeing this: https://forum.dji.com/thread-172441-1-1.html

and this: https://forum.dji.com/thread-172441-1-1.html

But I don't see this in the manual. Why not? It seem like the pan balance test is invalid unless the gimbal is tilted to the side. This should be documented.
2019-5-6
Use props
Droogles
lvl.2

United States

I will report back later today whether or not the pan axis was balanced properly.
2019-5-6
Use props
Unspoken Walks
lvl.1

United States

Pan axis was balance was fine. So back to square one. Any suggestions?
2019-5-6
Use props
Droogles
lvl.2

United States

The pan axis balance test done properly resulted in excellent.  I submitted a support ticket today and still have not heard back. 700+ dollars for a item that doesn't work.

What are the next steps? Refund, replacement, troubleshooting steps?
2019-5-6
Use props
Unspoken Walks
lvl.1

United States

Called support and was told by the agent that he would talk to a developer and would have recommended settings in this post with an hour. Nada.
2019-5-6
Use props
Droogles
lvl.2

United States

I've left several e-mails for my support case and have not heard back in several days. Should I return the gimbal as defective???
2019-5-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Droogles, sorry for the late response and the difficulties on operating the Ronin-S, please refer to the suggestions below to try again.
1. Please make sure all the knobs in the gimbal have been locked tightly.
2. Did you mount the camera mounting plate and the lens support?
3. Set the corresponding SmoothTrack value based on the shooting requirements. You may turn off Roll SmoothTrack.

You also mentioned you have sent several emails to our support but receive no response, could you please PM me your email account which you used to contact our support so that we can check? Thank you.
2019-5-10
Use props
Droogles
lvl.2

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 5-10 00:44
Hi Droogles, sorry for the late response and the difficulties on operating the Ronin-S, please refer to the suggestions below to try again.
1. Please make sure all the knobs in the gimbal have been locked tightly.
2. Did you mount the camera mounting plate and the lens support?

Yes. I've done all of the suggestions above. I even had support send me a sample of them recording using the same setup as me and the footage was smooth.
2019-5-24
Use props
DJI Calam
lvl.1

Philippines

As of today, this is happening to me.. jittery/wobbly footages..

Any thoughts or suggestions?
2019-5-26
Use props
Unspoken Walks
lvl.1

United States

DJI Calam Posted at 5-26 17:02
As of today, this is happening to me.. jittery/wobbly footages..

Any thoughts or suggestions?
How was your footage before today?

My issue is that I record long 30 - 60 minute continuous walks. I do the heal to toe, gimbal out at a 45 degree angle walk for 2 - 3 miles at a time. Then if I don’t hold the gimbal extremely upright and still I get very jittery shaky footage. I then have to apply software stabilization to a 1 hour clip.

I have several support cases open and asked DJI to send me footage of the Ronin-S and GH5s. There’s is completely smooth.

I want love to see what their footage would look like in the same setting as mine, a 3 mile trek.

One of the suggestions they gave me is to set deadband to 5. This is unacceptable. I should be able to use any deadband I want without shaky footage. They are basically saying that any footage other than 5 deadband will be shaky.
2019-5-26
Use props
Unspoken Walks
lvl.1

United States

I can’t edit after 2 minutes.
2019-5-26
Use props
Unspoken Walks
lvl.1

United States

My issue is that I record long 30 - 60 minute continuous walks. I do the heal to toe, gimbal out at a 45 degree angle walk for 2 - 3 miles at a time. Then if I don’t hold the gimbal extremely upright and still I get very jittery shaky footage. I then have to apply software stabilization to a 1 hour clip. I get shaky footage regardless of what I do. The other videos on my YouTube page have heavy software stabilization applied to correct what is close to hand held footage from the Ronin-S.

I have several support cases open and asked DJI to send me footage of the Ronin-S and GH5s. Their footage is completely smooth. I would love to see what their footage would look like in the same setting as mine, a 3 mile trek.

One of the suggestions they gave me is to set deadband to 5. This is unacceptable. I should be able to use any deadband I want without shaky footage. They are basically saying that any footage other than 5 deadband will be shaky.
2019-5-26
Use props
DJI Calam
lvl.1

Philippines

Unspoken Walks Posted at 5-26 19:22

My issue is that I record long 30 - 60 minute continuous walks. I do the heal to toe, gimbal out at a 45 degree angle walk for 2 - 3 miles at a time. Then if I don’t hold the gimbal extremely upright and still I get very jittery shaky footage. I then have to apply software stabilization to a 1 hour clip. I get shaky footage regardless of what I do. The other videos on my YouTube page have heavy software stabilization applied to correct what is close to hand held footage from the Ronin-S.

I really don't know either why this is happening to me [or to us] I also did a topic regarding to this, hoping that DJI Admins will look unto it.

Anyways, as of now it seems to work "kinda fine" when I'm at 18mm.. but when I use I'm at 35m + you can really feel the jitter and wobbly specially when you're doing the undersling. I'm just kinda bummed that this expensive device is doing this "jitter and wobbly stuffs". I'm honestly planning to sell Ronin S and buy Zhiyun.. but hoping that they can fix this issue asap.

If you want to see my own footage of what "wobbly and jitter" I'm saying, go to the topic I just created.
2019-5-26
Use props
Alfri951
New

Italy

Hi guys!
Three full days I've been trying to solve micro jittery footage of my Ronin S and it seems I found the solution. My Sony A7III was set to 4k/25fps (I am in Italy) - always jittery, I tried 1080 (my camera was actually set to S&Q slow motion, but ended up giving me somehow regular speed footage) and I got "yuppiii" smooth footage. Will try it hundred more times, just to be sure that this is the cause of the shakiness. Will try different fps, to find out what is a limit. At least finally step forward from frustrating experience of hundreds of RS users including me!
2021-11-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules