Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
What to buy?
980 14 2019-5-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aussierob78
lvl.4
Flight distance : 740476 ft
  • >>>
Australia

So I'm at an interesting desicion making point. I'm getting a new drone this week, and have the following options available

Brand new P4 Pro + Osbsidian for $2000
Brand new P4 Adv for $1200
Brand new Mavic Pro 2 for $2000
Used P4 Pro with 2 batteries for $900
Used P4 Pro + Obsidian with 6 batteries, bag and few other extras for around $2000

I've pretty much ruled out the new Obisidian, as if I am going to buy new and spend $2k I might as well get the Mavic 2 Pro... but won't be able to get another battery for a while

I like the idea of the P4 Pro + due to the all in one controller. I am aware of the smart controller, but that is out of my budget for a while.

I've owned a P4 Pro in the past and loved the image quality. I sold it as, at the time, it was too big to carry with my DSLR gear. Now that I have changed to mirrorless, I'm not so concerned about it as my Fujifilm gear weighs heaps less and is smaller, and everything would fit in one of the Manfrotto Aviator bags.

Also, whilst I can get the Zoom for around $1600, I feel that the image quality for photos wouldn't appeal to me as much as the others with 1 inch sensors.

The question is... what to do? :\
2019-5-6
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

Only one person can make that decision .....................  
2019-5-6
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

PS:  Sorry,  that didn't really help did it !
2019-5-6
Use props
Aussierob78
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Manxmann Posted at 5-6 00:22
PS:  Sorry,  that didn't really help did it !

Well, that depends.... is that one person you?

Just curious to see what others would do... and why!
2019-5-6
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Given that the Obsidian is discontinued and is basically the same as the original P4P but in a different colour I would decline that one. The Advanced plus would be a good one to look at if you are looking specifically at a new Phantom or go for the newish P4PV2.0 (latest model) which has quieter motors and uses OcySync transmission. The M2P is an excellent drone if you want something more portable and current though it's $1500 unless you are getting it with the new Smart Controller. M2P with SC and the flymore kit is what I would go for but that doesn't mean it's the best one for you - as previosuly mentioned only you know that!
2019-5-6
Use props
Aussierob78
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Value wise that second hand obsidian is drawing me in, it’s got a manfrotto bag and 6 batteries. I can probably get it around $1800 or a bit less.

I’d love a M2P, but then factor in extra batteries it’s a bit much. The prices I’ve quoted are in AUD and that’s a decent discount from its RRP of $2499
2019-5-6
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Aussierob78 Posted at 5-6 03:05
Value wise that second hand obsidian is drawing me in, it’s got a manfrotto bag and 6 batteries. I can probably get it around $1800 or a bit less.

I’d love a M2P, but then factor in extra batteries it’s a bit much. The prices I’ve quoted are in AUD and that’s a decent discount from its RRP of $2499

Ah I see - The Obsidian with 6 batts and a nice bag for AUD$1800 is very much worth considering. The colour also makes it look like the coolest Phantom ever made IMO.
2019-5-6
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

P4A with iPad mini 4 or MP2. Wouldn’t get anything with a built in screen as they have proven to be.....Temperamental to say the least. It all comes down to.....in order - Budget, usage and form factor. Only you can decide.
2019-5-6
Use props
Aussierob78
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

CoreyB10 Posted at 5-6 03:55
P4A with iPad mini 4 or MP2. Wouldn’t get anything with a built in screen as they have proven to be.....Temperamental to say the least. It all comes down to.....in order - Budget, usage and form factor. Only you can decide.

I hadn’t heard about issues with the crystal sky units. Further research required I guess!

I’ve got a iPad mini 4 now, but sunlight visibility isn’t great
2019-5-6
Use props
Nick M
lvl.4
Flight distance : 600574 ft
United States

I recently purchased a used Obsidian.  It's great, but the smart controller is a pain in the a$$.  Im still trying to find a solution to the map not displaying properly.  And, not to thrilled about the issues with 3rd party apps.  Kinda wish I had gone for the M2P for all the frustration.  But, as stated above, it does look cool with the color.
2019-5-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Aussierob78. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our valued DJI Co pilots on there experiences and what drones they are using. In addition I will be posting a link where in you can compare the overview and the specifications of multiple consumer drones. I hope this can help you. Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/products/com ... ndsite&from=nav
2019-5-6
Use props
Aussierob78
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Thanks for the replies everyone. I went to the shop with the second hand units today, negotiated a good price for the obsidian as it was in immaculate condition. Asked them to hold it for 5 minutes whilst I grabbed the cash and a coffee, they agreed, but then I come back and they sold it from under me as they had a higher offer whilst I was gone.

The other P4 Pro they had has been obviously crashed and treated poorly.

So tomorrow I’m probably gonna get the M2 Pro. Might be able to get 1 additional battery and then build the rest of the kit up.
2019-5-7
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Aussierob78 Posted at 5-6 05:14
I hadn’t heard about issues with the crystal sky units. Further research required I guess!

I’ve got a iPad mini 4 now, but sunlight visibility isn’t great

Just get a sunshade and save yourself some cash. Not saying all crystal sky units have issues though. Can only go by forum posts etc.
2019-5-8
Use props
Aussierob78
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

CoreyB10 Posted at 5-8 02:30
Just get a sunshade and save yourself some cash. Not saying all crystal sky units have issues though. Can only go by forum posts etc.

Cheers for that. I ended up with the M2 Pro, and an extra battery. Now just need to get out with it!
2019-5-8
Use props
KEJ
lvl.4
United Kingdom

CoreyB10 Posted at 5-6 03:55

Not heard that, I believe there are more issues with people using phones, iPads or tablets, then having extra leads, remembering to charge up the extra bits of kit, ensuring yet more software is updated etc, making sure they are secured.

I have a P4A+, no real issues(apart from hey whats the best camera settings etc), remote charge lasts for several Phantom flights(using two lots of batteries).

You can use the screen in bright sunlight(more than can be said for most phones or tablets).

Unpack and startup mega quickly.

Years ago, I initially I had a P2(GoPro + remote with additional screen etc), that required a hood in bright sunlight(well any light). Now however, after having and using the P4A+ for well over a year I would never entertain not having this setup.

One stop shop every day!

If I am going out, charge two batteries, then charge the remote, job done.

Once you go Plus, you never go back!
2019-5-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules