Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How do you calibrate Your compass?
1307 26 2019-5-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AntDX316
Captain
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

We all know it's bottom-side down right side-up is part 1 but for part 2, do you point the nose "Down towards the Earth's center core" or "forward and tilted 90 degrees on the x-axis" and then rotate?
2019-5-6
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Either way works fine as long as you are in the right environment and actually need to do it.
2019-5-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day AntDX316.  Thank you for reaching DJI Forum and for the inquiry. Please calibrate your aircraft  an open space and kindly take note do not calibrate your compass where there is a chance of strong magnetic interference, such as magnetite, parking structures, or steel reinforcements underground, also do not carry ferromagnetic materials with you during calibration, such as keys or any metal object and lastly, do not calibrate beside large metal objects. I hope this helps. Thank you.
2019-5-7
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-7 08:19
Hello and good day AntDX316.  Thank you for reaching DJI Forum and for the inquiry. Please calibrate your aircraft  an open space and kindly take note do not calibrate your compass where there is a chance of strong magnetic interference, such as magnetite, parking structures, or steel reinforcements underground, also do not carry ferromagnetic materials with you during calibration, such as keys or any metal object and lastly, do not calibrate beside large metal objects. I hope this helps. Thank you.

I know but is it supposed to be facing down or front and on it's side midair?
2019-5-7
Use props
PS013
Captain
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

From the manual

Horizontal for phase 1, then vertical ( facing down ) for phase 2 .
2019-5-7
Use props
Neo Supreme
First Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

I usually do the DJI Ballet.  Keep spinning with the drone in both positions until calibration is complete.
2019-5-7
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Neo Supreme Posted at 5-7 11:12
I usually do the DJI Ballet.  Keep spinning with the drone in both positions until calibration is complete.

I agree with this one.
2019-5-7
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

If only there was an "engineer" to tell us exactly the best way and why the compass module calibrates better at a certain orientation, it would squash all the guess work of the gamble.

We might get some info like it should be 80 degrees down and 10 degrees left then rotating  clockwise from the top or something for best results.
2019-5-7
Use props
ro_flyer
Captain
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

AntDX316 Posted at 5-7 16:18
If only there was an "engineer" to tell us exactly the best way and why the compass module calibrates better at a certain orientation, it would squash all the guess work of the gamble.

We might get some info like it should be 80 degrees down and 10 degrees left then rotating  clockwise from the top or something for best results.

You don't need an engineer o explain you the best way to perform a compass calibration. You have your drone user's manual for it.... give it some credit....

2019-5-7
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 5-7 18:49
You don't need an engineer o explain you the best way to perform a compass calibration. You have your drone user's manual for it.... give it some credit....

yeah but when the manual says point the nose down but the illustration shows it laying sideways and rotate..
2019-5-7
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 5-7 23:28
yeah but when the manual says point the nose down but the illustration shows it laying sideways and rotate..

You can do it in either way. I have calibrated the compass on ten different DJI drones countless times over the years: pointing down and on the side on the second rotation - it does not make any difference. The calibration is always successful providing you do it in an open area away from interference etc. So the answer is simple - both work as illustrated in the manual (down) and the GO4 app (to the side).
2019-5-7
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-7 23:42
You can do it in either way. I have calibrated the compass on ten different DJI drones countless times over the years: pointing down and on the side on the second rotation - it does not make any difference. The calibration is always successful providing you do it in an open area away from interference etc. So the answer is simple - both work as illustrated in the manual (down) and the GO4 app (to the side).

It would be easier if they just add a 3rd step where you do nose down then rotation or sideways then rotation
2019-5-7
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 5-7 23:48
It would be easier if they just add a 3rd step where you do nose down then rotation or sideways then rotation

Adding another step would not make it easier - it's annoying enough as it is. Not having to calibrate at all would be easier.
2019-5-7
Use props
*DM*
First Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

I just hope no one ever sees me doing it because it makes you look like a plum.
2019-5-8
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

*DM* Posted at 5-8 00:07
I just hope no one ever sees me doing it because it makes you look like a plum.

Thats very true lol
2019-5-8
Use props
ro_flyer
Captain
Brazil

A J Posted at 5-7 23:50
Adding another step would not make it easier - it's annoying enough as it is. Not having to calibrate at all would be easier.

Agree on every f***ing word!
2019-5-9
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Think it depends upon what you are wearing at time.  Ballet shoes or combat boots.  Pants or a Tutu.

Or you can chose not to prance or dance.  Simply rotate drone around it's axis as called for in manual.
2019-5-9
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ro_flyer Posted at 5-9 19:07
Agree on every f***ing word!

Hahahahaha - glad you agree
2019-5-9
Use props
Celtic warrior
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4033665 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

AntDX316 Posted at 5-7 16:18
If only there was an "engineer" to tell us exactly the best way and why the compass module calibrates better at a certain orientation, it would squash all the guess work of the gamble.

I think AJ is right , don’t make it complicated, with the new M2 it’s almost impossible to calibrate wrong, if you don’t get it right it won’t let you fly, so up or down either way is fine.
2019-5-10
Use props
JHollimanPhoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 82802 ft
United States

You are correct.
2019-5-10
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Flying is cool but I'm running out of ideas.  I will stop by at businesses to see if they could use some drone work and stuff but other than that flying is getting quite boring.  Flying w/ no purpose is boring.  Flying and seeing things that people are doing from the air is getting boring.
2019-5-10
Use props
ro_flyer
Captain
Brazil

AntDX316 Posted at 5-10 06:05
Flying is cool but I'm running out of ideas.  I will stop by at businesses to see if they could use some drone work and stuff but other than that flying is getting quite boring.  Flying w/ no purpose is boring.  Flying and seeing things that people are doing from the air is getting boring.

You can always try knitting...
2019-5-14
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 5-14 06:19
You can always try knitting...

no knitting
2019-5-14
Use props
ro_flyer
Captain
Brazil

Can't think of anything more exciting to recommend you them... sorry
2019-5-15
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 5-15 17:15
Can't think of anything more exciting to recommend you them... sorry

what do I do now then
2019-5-15
Use props
ro_flyer
Captain
Brazil

AntDX316 Posted at 5-15 19:07
what do I do now then

sell your drone... go play with dolls...
2019-5-16
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 5-16 19:53
sell your drone... go play with dolls...

what kind of dolls
2019-5-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules