Do you use ND filters?
1734 8 2019-5-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DarkZero
lvl.4
Flight distance : 923127 ft
Australia

Just curious what people choose, do you really need to use them or is it all old school hype when it comes to motion blur in video or do you like that style of photography and film?
Single SelectVote, Total 18 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2019-5-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day DarkZero. Thank you for reaching out and for creating this poll about using ND filters for there drone.  I hope you'll get the best answer and information here from our valued DJI Members and Customers. Thank you for your support.
2019-5-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The ND filter has no use at all in still shots, it is not necessary, particularly with the P4P onwads which has a variable aperture. The only reason for using ND filters is with video, and if you want good results, they are a necessity.
2019-5-7
Use props
djiuser_KGLQqdqCxEaJ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 814462 ft
United States

I thought filters were also good for taking still sunset shots.
2019-5-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

djiuser_KGLQqdqCxEaJ Posted at 5-7 18:43
I thought filters were also good for taking still sunset shots.

The title of the question relates to Neutral Densisty filers (ND), for other effects there are different filters.
2019-5-7
Use props
DarkZero
lvl.4
Flight distance : 923127 ft
Australia

Geebax Posted at 5-7 16:08
The ND filter has no use at all in still shots, it is not necessary, particularly with the P4P onwads which has a variable aperture. The only reason for using ND filters is with video, and if you want good results, they are a necessity.

Don't you use ND filters to get that blurred water effect you see so much in photos? So you can up the exposure but not have a blown out image with light in the scene?
2019-5-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DarkZero Posted at 5-7 20:04
Don't you use ND filters to get that blurred water effect you see so much in photos? So you can up the exposure but not have a blown out image with light in the scene?

That blurred water effect relies on having the camera locked down on a tripod, that is not really possible with a drone. The main use of ND filters is when shooting video, to add blur to motion.  
2019-5-7
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

For long exposure photography and controlling motion blur (when I need to) yes but obviously not all the time.
2019-5-8
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

The only time I take the ND filter off is at night time flying.
2020-2-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules