Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Terrain Awareness Mode - DSM DATA
20226 37 2019-5-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HINZ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 77552 ft
New Zealand

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone upgraded the firmware to latest and tested the Terrain Aware mode?
I've created a tif and I can see the file in the Drop down list. But when I tried to create the flight route is prompts "no altitude data is available".

I am 100% sure the vertices are dropped within the extent of the DSM.
The only thing I can think of is the coordinate system of the tif file? I created it in our local datum, should I convert it to the WGS84? Anyone has similar issue?

Capture.JPG

Cheers
2019-5-7
Use props
HINZ
lvl.1
New Zealand

And now it just keep crashing...

2019-5-7
Use props
HINZ
lvl.1
New Zealand

Well...Finally figure out..

The DSM file has to be WGS1984 unless it won't be recognized. Also, you have to create a folder with name (this name will be the DSM's name) under e.g DJI/DSM/Test1, and dump the .tif and .tfw files in it.

2019-5-7
Use props
patiam
Captain
Flight distance : 1093865 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi HINZ-
Thanks for testing this out, and good call. Best bet is always going to be keeping all basemap, DSM, and plan files in the same coordinate system and datum. If it doesn't work that way, it never will with different spatial reference.

If this works (and it appears you've figured out that it does) this is great!
As I said in another thread, it's ALMOST like they heard us!

Now the more elegant solution will be to just let us use SRTM data if we don't want to use a custom DSM (which should still be an option), but hopefully that is on the way....
2019-5-7
Use props
HINZ
lvl.1
New Zealand

patiam Posted at 5-7 19:51
Hi HINZ-
Thanks for testing this out, and good call. Best bet is always going to be keeping all basemap, DSM, and plan files in the same coordinate system and datum. If it doesn't work that way, it never will with different spatial reference.

Cheers patiam, I am a Map Made Easy terrain aware heavy user until the launch of P4 RTK. I personally would prefer custom terrain as the terrain keep changing on our construction site (earthwork). But linking to SRTM would definitely help others.
2019-5-7
Use props
patiam
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Both options (custom user-supplied and opensource DSMs) are important and should be available, for sure.
2019-5-7
Use props
hardrone
Second Officer

India

HINZ Posted at 5-7 19:33

The DSM file has to be WGS1984 unless it won't be recognized. Also, you have to create a folder with name (this name will be the DSM's name) under e.g DJI/DSM/Test1, and dump the .tif and .tfw files in it.

I am not getting this output.

I mean, I have made a DSM, put in a DJI -- DSM -- T1 folders. File names are DSM.tif and DSM.tfw
When I upload the DSM and click PLAN task, the map does not move to the planned location.

Also, please share the information about "how to delete KML from the device", if you have any idea.

Additionally, I would like to know where does the DSM file gets saved? (Like KML gets saved, I did not find DSM file anywhere in the list.)

Thanks for your DSM update
2019-5-8
Use props
Mayehem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9641306 ft
Canada

hardrone Posted at 5-8 01:07
I am not getting this output.

I mean, I have made a DSM, put in a DJI -- DSM -- T1 folders. File names are DSM.tif and DSM.tfw

Slide left when in the KML File Menu to expose the red trash bin icon on the right. Android is almost always long press or slide for more options like delete!
2019-5-8
Use props
Mayehem
lvl.4
Canada

THANK YOU! The additional folder was the missing link. No mention of that in the e-mail send out or instructions that come up on the controller. It's almost as if we need a manual....
2019-5-8
Use props
Mayehem
lvl.4
Canada

Unfortunately I am not out of the woods on this yet. Thought because it loaded and I only use WGS84 (UTM 12N) I would be good but it crashes every time. Any more details on your file type, size or other settings would be appreciated. I am using global mapper.
2019-5-8
Use props
patiam
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Mayehem Posted at 5-8 14:06
Unfortunately I am not out of the woods on this yet. Thought because it loaded and I only use WGS84 (UTM 12N) I would be good but it crashes every time. Any more details on your file type, size or other settings would be appreciated. I am using global mapper.

Just a guess but it may need to be unprojected (WGS84 geographic DD)... (I haven't tried this myself yet).
2019-5-8
Use props
hardrone
Second Officer

India

Mayehem Posted at 5-8 08:16
Slide left when in the KML File Menu to expose the red trash bin icon on the right. Android is almost always long press or slide for more options like delete!

Thanks Mayehem.

This has helped me a lot.

I am still finding out the issue with the DSM upload. I got upload a couple of times. Now, again, it is not happening.

If someone can help me out with this.

Thanks again.
2019-5-9
Use props
Dragline49
lvl.1
United States

Minor note: The filetype needs to be *.tif NOT *.tiff,

2019-5-10
Use props
Dragline49
lvl.1
United States

I think I've got it going from Global Mapper.

1. Import DSM
2. Reproject to EPSG 4326
3. Export as *.tif, MUST BE 32bit float, be sure to tick the "export .tfw box"
4. Place both files on SD under DJI/DSM/*filename*
2019-5-10
Use props
DJI4Survey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6484478 ft
Australia

Cheers Dragline.  We also use Global Mapper, and haven't been able to get it to work.

I will follow your suggestions and hopefully it works.
2019-5-12
Use props
Dragline49
lvl.1
United States

I also reduced the export resolution to 30m. I’m not sure if this is necessary or not, however it is one more thing to try if you’re having issues loading the data. My final DSM was only ~10mb for ~10 square miles.
2019-5-12
Use props
DJI4Survey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6484478 ft
Australia

32 Bit Float worked a treat out of Global Mapper, thanks Dragline49.

The issue we now have is that due to the imagery being so out of date in a lot of our areas, we have to crop our dsm to 10m outside of the required capture area and plan like that.  Otherwise we are not 100% sure if we are covering our capture area.

Definitely manageable, but would be ideal to have the ability to have a whole of site DSM and custom imported imagery in order to make mission planning easier.

I will be doing the test flight with the planned missions tomorrow.  Using ellipsoidal height for the surface, so hopefully that is correct, could be messy if its not.

Cheers again,
2019-5-12
Use props
patiam
Captain
  • >>>
United States

EPSG 4326 and HAE seems safest, good call. Best of luck, and let us know how it goes!
2019-5-12
Use props
choppedxs
lvl.3
Flight distance : 602090 ft
New Zealand

I am not having any luck at all. Created a tif in ArcGIS and is in WGS84. Has tfw file and I stuck them both on SD card in DJI/DSM/tasmin folder. The files are called tasmin.tif and tasmin.tfw. I get nothing showing on the select DSM window at all. Any ideas?
2019-5-13
Use props
choppedxs
lvl.3
New Zealand

choppedxs Posted at 5-13 16:16
I am not having any luck at all. Created a tif in ArcGIS and is in WGS84. Has tfw file and I stuck them both on SD card in DJI/DSM/tasmin folder. The files are called tasmin.tif and tasmin.tfw. I get nothing showing on the select DSM window at all. Any ideas?

Got it. I didnt realise you have to import it from the sd menu option under the 3 bars on dji rtk home page
2019-5-13
Use props
choppedxs
lvl.3
New Zealand

DJI4Survey Posted at 5-12 19:47
32 Bit Float worked a treat out of Global Mapper, thanks Dragline49.

The issue we now have is that due to the imagery being so out of date in a lot of our areas, we have to crop our dsm to 10m outside of the required capture area and plan like that.  Otherwise we are not 100% sure if we are covering our capture area.

I read this over and over and did not get what you meant until I got mine working and now I get it. I am also working in an area where the satellite image is no good and I like your idea of clipping the raster to the area you intend to map before importing. I also agree though that would be nice to also be able to import your own imagery to make planning of missions easier where Map services images are rubbish.
2019-5-13
Use props
patiam
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DJI has  a track record of making an easter egg hunt out of the functionality they promise in a new system/new firmware, eh?
Good job those of you that have blazed the trail on DSM terrain following, I've yet to explore that as I'm still trying to establish the P4RTK system's performance on flat terrain.

But I hope to use this functionality eventually, so thanks again!

2019-5-13
Use props
p4pEric
lvl.1

United States

We have successfully uploaded a DSM using NED. The P4RTK seems to like the data, and it's in NAD83. Going to actually fly it later this week. Will report back.
2019-5-21
Use props
tfoster825
lvl.1
Flight distance : 692346 ft
United States

Now how about terrain awareness on the linear flight planning mode?! This can be even more crucial than site planning because generally on linear planning your flight lines are very long and subject to more terrain undulation.
2019-5-30
Use props
tfoster825
lvl.1
Flight distance : 692346 ft
United States

How big was your file size? I keep getting crashing. My DSM.TIF file is 102MB

Not sure if that has something it do with it. It is in WGS84 so I'm not sure what the issue is.
2019-5-30
Use props
hardrone
Second Officer

India

Hello,

I created TEST 1 under DSM (under DJI folder). When I check on GSRTK Application, I find that TEST 1 Folder is shown under DSM file. When I click on it, it gets copied to the Application.

But, it is not appearing under Executing and of course it won't be shown under KML, when I want to plan it.

Please help me out if there is some other settings to be done for planning or if I am missing out on some step.
2019-7-8
Use props
G37 Mavic Pro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49741 ft
United States

Awesome, thanks for sharing.
2019-8-2
Use props
TerraVia ZM
lvl.1
Flight distance : 350696 ft
Zambia

I've figured out how to delete DSM data already saved to the P4R RC. When you go into the Terrain Awareness flight planning and the bar on the left shows you the DSM files you have on the RC, swipe the file you want to delete to the left and a red button with bin will be to the side of the file you swiped.

Note though, its super glitchy and it'll take you 20 clicks+ on that red button and bin to actually delete the file.  Come on DJI...

I have one question though which someone touched on in a previous post:

Has anyone figured out how to use a KML with the Terrain Awareness feature? Or with the Linear Mapping feature?

Its kind of redundant that you have to remake the survey area on the RC in Terrain Awareness mode to use the Terrain Awareness!!
2019-8-23
Use props
Mark Steggs
lvl.1

TerraVia ZM Posted at 8-23 11:47
I've figured out how to delete DSM data already saved to the P4R RC. When you go into the Terrain Awareness flight planning and the bar on the left shows you the DSM files you have on the RC, swipe the file you want to delete to the left and a red button with bin will be to the side of the file you swiped.

Note though, its super glitchy and it'll take you 20 clicks+ on that red button and bin to actually delete the file.  Come on DJI...

Hi there.

Did you ever hear back regarding this?

It is exactly what I am struggling with.

Mark.
2019-9-12
Use props
maltito
New

Germany

Hi there,

with the help of this thread I managede it to generate a DSM (tif+tfw) and uploaded it to my P4 RTK.
Everything seems to work with terrain awareness here in Germany. Now I'm planing a field trip to Chile and created DSMs for my drone surveys abroad.
I uploaded them to the SD-Card - works perfect -
But now I'm trying to plan a flight in terrain awareness mode in the chilean regions.
It seems like the DSM-layer is now the top most layer in planing-mode and not the satellite/map layer. This fact makes it hard to plan the correct polygon to fly.
My theory is that it could be a problem to display the DSM layer on the southern hemisphere?
Anyone else having same issues?
Cheers Malte

2020-3-6
Use props
Kieran123
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Dragline49 Posted at 2019-5-10 11:33

1. Import DSM

Hi Dragline49,

I very new to Global Mapper but do have access to the whole package, I was wondering how I Reproject to EPSG 4326?

Despite reading through many of the forum pages i'm still continuing to have the controller crash whenever I try to plan a  terrain awareness mission. My data is coming from Pix4D and I thought it would be a simple case of transferring the tif and tfw files directly into the DSM folder I created however is seem this is still not working. The data is in WGS84 as I have read is the required coordinate type.

Any help would be much appreciated from anyone on this topic as id love to understand why it doesn't work.

Cheers
2020-3-20
Use props
Boki
lvl.1

Croatia

maltito Posted at 3-6 05:24
Hi there,

with the help of this thread I managede it to generate a DSM (tif+tfw) and uploaded it to my P4 RTK.

Dear maltito,

I have same problem in Croatia, also it looks like there is solution using new firmware and KLM. Unfortunatly I still do not know how to use it. There is not any manual.

Best Regards!

Božidar Čulav
2020-3-30
Use props
Rotutu
lvl.1
Flight distance : 75325 ft
Canada

Hello, I am new to the RTK world but not new to drones and airpace. When I upload my DSM [.tif] file that has been compressed so it is <100mb. I go to the Plan / Terrain Awareness / Select DSM data and get an endless 'Reading Data' Screen. Am I missing something? I've been on this screen for over an hour until I gave up as I don't think it should take that long, how long should this screen take to upload an 88mb file?

Reading the comments above are 2 files that should be uploaded with the surface? a Tiff and a .tfw?
2020-11-23
Use props
Rotutu
lvl.1
Flight distance : 75325 ft
Canada

Rotutu Posted at 2020-11-23 16:41
Hello, I am new to the RTK world but not new to drones and airpace. When I upload my DSM [.tif] file that has been compressed so it is

Resolved, if you need help PM me.
2021-3-24
Use props
Arctan
lvl.1
Sweden

Dragline49 Posted at 2019-5-10 11:33

1. Import DSM

It has to be one more subfolder. DJI/DSM/projectname/filename.tif (and tfw..)

otherwise it wont find the dsm..
2021-6-3
Use props
Arctan
lvl.1
Sweden

unless DJI fixed this bug already, make sure the starting point of the mission is at a higher elevation than your take off spot.

I was mapping a mointain and didnt notice the first way point after battery change was much lower than where I did the take off.
The drone lifted just about a meter and then took off towards the first waypoint.. i was lucky there was no obstacles in the way..
2021-6-3
Use props
djiuser_YyDMf0V8bjrf
Flight distance : 359619 ft
United States

-------> HELP# <-------  
Hi, Good morning!

I always fly over the bay waters. The only area that is clear of tall buildings where I live.  Is there a way to set a " LOW ALTITUDE WARNING" on the Mavic air 2 or any other Mavic drone?

I get very distracted and lost altitude moving the left joystick, not trying to lower the altitude but rotating it. Sometimes I forget to look at the altitude for a long time.

A "LOW ALTITUDE or Terrain  WARNING" would be life-saving: The idea is to increase altitude if I get below 5 or 10 meters without realizing I did. To prevent getting submerged in the water.

I can't believe there are so many warnings except a low-altitude one. All commercial airplanes have several "LOW TERRAIN WARNINGS" at different altitudes.

Could you please; contact DJI engineers and bring the idea? I am still a novice, and I am even learning to speak English. I dont know how to do it by myself.

The warning will bring more safety and joy to the flying experience and would be a very substantial safety improvement for everybody.

Sincerely,
Lesmex F

2021-6-8
Use props
jibby
New

Malaysia

Hi there,
Wondering has anyone used an open source DTM (such as SRTM 30m with GSD of 30m) as your base map for DJI Terrain Following Flight? I wonder will the drone move up/down smoothly or drastically if the next pixel height (say 20m) differs greatly.
2022-4-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules